Lexx Education - Episode Index

Episode 1 - Biology - A Lego Brick Full of Meccano                          Introduction to cells. Episode 2 - Chemistry - Bob Marley and th...

Monday 1 April 2024

Take the Badgers Out of Leeds

 Laura: We can just do intros outros for this, too, as it's a special.

Laura: Hello and welcome to a special seasonal episode of legs.edu K.

Laura: It's the comedy science podcast where comedian La Alex is trying to learn science from her nerdy younger brother, Ron.

Laura: Hi, Ron.

Ron: Hello, I'm Ron.

Laura: I'm so excited about this episode, Ron, because you are not excited about it.

Laura: And I'm like, what the f***'s he done?

Ron: Right?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Are we getting straight into it?

Laura: No, we can.

Laura: Well, you know, we don't have to do a separate intro archery record on the special Ep.

Laura: We normally just bundle the whole thing into one cozy blanket, but we can do some preamble chat if you want.

Ron: Nah.

Ron: So it's Easter.

Ron: Are we doing this because of Easter?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Have you got to edit it this week to go out next Monday?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: All right, then it will go out the Easter Monday.

Ron: Laura.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Why?

Ron: What was the idea?

Laura: The idea was Jesus died and then came back to life.

Laura: So we'll do an episode about all sorts of scientific developments that have made it so that things don't kill us anymore.

Laura: We stay alive.

Ron: Right.

Ron: What's that got.

Ron: What's that got to do with Easter?

Laura: Because Jesus died at Easter and come back to life, didn't he?

Laura: And I was trying to distract you from eggs.

Ron: Nah, but I remembered now.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: You can remember.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Means we don't have to do that royals episode.

Laura: Oh, I still.

Laura: We can still do that as a history episode.

Ron: I don't want to.

Laura: Well, you have to.

Ron: I'm not interested.

Laura: Yes, you are.

Laura: You will be.

Laura: Find some cool facts.

Ron: Can I do something else?

Laura: What?

Laura: Like, I will sit and talk about the royals, and you will talk about NBA.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Or something.

Laura: That would be the weirdest episode ever.

Ron: I'll do something else.

Ron: You do royals.

Laura: What are you gonna do?

Laura: We can't just be talking about two completely different subjects.

Ron: I could talk about animals that are called the royal something, or I could talk about the New Zealand singer.

Ron: Lord, no, I'm not gonna do it.

Ron: I'm gonna do something else.

Ron: I'm just gonna prepare a special presentation.

Ron: I might have it as just, like, one of my creative moments.

Ron: Ron's creative time.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: You know, like when I did those funny ads you deleted and stuff like that.

Laura: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Ron: Maybe I.

Laura: Maybe I'll delete this bit, too.

Ron: Nah, I just.

Ron: Yeah, I'll just have fun with it.

Laura: Yeah, you just.

Laura: You just be a loose cannon, Ron.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Everyone likes it when I'm fun.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: All right, so I couldn't really remember what the idea was for this episode.

Ron: And then I subtly asked you, without you knowing, what we were supposed to be doing today, but I didn't really know why we were doing that.

Laura: What, did you drink at lunchtime today?

Ron: No, no.

Laura: What has happened?

Ron: I don't.

Ron: I'm just giddy.

Laura: But it's like a really weird, like, messed up giddy.

Ron: No, it's just giddy.

Laura: I think it was too much pub last night.

Ron: I did have some pub last night.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Lovely, bitter pub.

Ron: You know, we were talking about it last night at pub.

Ron: And these are my awards.

Ron: Mother from army.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: We were talking about, talking about it at pub last night.

Ron: And it feels like people, the pub people are way better at taking the glasses these days.

Ron: You don't go to the pubs, you wouldn't really know, but it feels like they're bang on cleaning up all the glasses now.

Ron: And it feels like it didn't used to be like that.

Ron: But last night they weren't really taking our glasses.

Ron: And then we had a table full of glasses because we drank some pints.

Ron: It was nice.

Laura: So if you didn't prep what we planned to prep, what did you prep, Ron?

Ron: So I did.

Ron: No, because I subtly asked what we were doing today.

Ron: And you didn't know.

Laura: I didn't know.

Laura: And I gave you a theory on it.

Laura: On how to do it.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So I said, have a look at.

Laura: What the highest mortality rate causes were in like 1850 or something, and then have a look at why we don't die of those things anymore.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So I did that kinda.

Ron: So hang on.

Ron: So, right, here's the problem with that as a concept for this episode.

Ron: The thing is that what we were dying from back in day, there weren't really, like, things, if that makes sense.

Laura: Oh, what, like it was just vengeful spirits?

Ron: No.

Ron: So we're gonna talk through it.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Like, there's, there will be an episode, but I just worry it's disastrously far from Easter.

Laura: It was only ever a loose connection to Easter because really, once you've done eggs, if you don't want to cover rabbits.

Laura: All right.

Laura: What were you gonna pull out of your a** for an hour about rabbits?

Ron: I haven't done the research.

Ron: I couldn't say.

Laura: But keep that on the list for next year then.

Ron: What list?

Laura: Of Easter special ideas.

Ron: I'll make a spreadsheet of Easter.

Laura: Spreadsheet.

Laura: Great.

Ron: No.

Ron: So do you want to know the number one.

Ron: Number one cause of death in the 18 hundreds?

Laura: Bad humors.

Ron: No.

Ron: Stillborn.

Ron: I don't want to talk about that.

Laura: But surely there are medical developments like CAT scans and CT scans and ultrasounds and like, we were talking about embryo screening and all that stuff and not like pulling them out with metal forceps and all that kind of stuff.

Ron: Yeah, but I just don't really want to talk about it.

Ron: Alright then I just feel like that's a bit sad.

Ron: Bit too sad.

Laura: Yeah, it is a very sad subject.

Ron: So we're gonna move past in it a little bit.

Laura: When I was younger, I thought they were called stillborns because it was like stillborn though, not born, not moving.

Ron: So that.

Ron: Sorry, that was the.

Ron: That's the second most one.

Ron: Oh, we're gonna skip that one, right.

Ron: Do you want to know the fifth most cause of death?

Laura: Why are we doing the second and fifth?

Ron: Ah, do you want to know the fifth most one?

Laura: All the s*** you gave me for starting the bloody humour book on chapter three and now you're like, oh, that was second.

Laura: Who wants to know?

Laura: Fifth?

Laura: And hello.

Laura: One I didn't.

Laura: Is it Isa?

Laura: Give me an egg.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Cause there's reasons for this now.

Laura: All right.

Laura: There was reasons for what I did too.

Ron: Do you want to know the fifth one?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Falling off a horse.

Ron: No, it's just unknown.

Laura: So that's probably cancer, isn't it?

Ron: Don't know.

Laura: I always think in books when like people just suddenly died and it was like, well, actually they probably had an illness for a really long time and it's just been getting steadily worse and worse, but they just didn't really know what it was.

Laura: And now they've died.

Ron: Yeah, I guess a lot of them would be, but.

Ron: So the problem with the rest of this episode is that.

Ron: So a lot of the things that they used to.

Laura: Thanks for checking out the podcast, new listeners, and I hope Ron has filled you with hope that the podcast is fun and worth listening to.

Ron: You're the one that's exasperated.

Laura: I'm having a nice time, so this bit's not very good.

Laura: And then in a minute it's gonna get worse.

Laura: And here's why this didn't work and it's about to be awful.

Ron: F*** you.

Ron: I'm trying.

Laura: Yeah, trying to drive us into the ground.

Ron: So actually I did do a bit of research.

Ron: Right, I got it.

Laura: You've done a lot of research.

Ron: I've done some.

Laura: I know you've done about 45 minutes.

Ron: Yeah, I was walking today in slat, Laura.

Ron: I didn't know what we were doing.

Laura: No, it's not that you didn't know you'd forgotten.

Laura: Failed to write it down.

Laura: Can't read the f****** notes in the spreadsheet.

Laura: They clearly say what we're doing.

Ron: What does it say?

Ron: Isn't it?

Laura: It says Easter special on life saving.

Ron: Yeah, it does.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Right.

Ron: But, okay, so I just want to say that, like, do you remember when.

Laura: We did the drowning thing, that kind of stuff?

Ron: Yeah, but we've already done that.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Which was bringing people back from the.

Laura: Dead because we hardly die of anything anymore.

Ron: Can't believe we blew that content on Halloween.

Ron: But anyway, let me talk.

Ron: So I just the, so I just.

Laura: Want to say, oh, by the way, this will be an even number, but it is your Reddit.

Ron: Why is it my edit?

Laura: Because we've messed about with the order that things are being released in.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Right.

Ron: Can I just say something, please?

Ron: So the data that we're going to be talking through for deaths is about leads from 1835 through to 1900.

Laura: Which is absolutely fine as long as a lot of them aren't very lead specific.

Laura: Like, fell over on the headroom.

Ron: Well, there was the Leeds baboon massacre.

Ron: That really throws out the numbers for one year, but if we can ignore that as an outlier, that's fine.

Ron: No, so this is another problem that I had, right.

Ron: So the starting data that I found was all about leads, but then, so when I was trying to compare a lot of it to now times, those sources weren't about leads.

Ron: It's quite hard to compare.

Laura: All right.

Ron: There'S another problem I had.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Is that this data starts in leads, but quickly folds out to encompass the country, the world.

Laura: We don't know.

Ron: Well, the other stats that I've got will cover different things because they're all from different other sources.

Laura: All right, okay.

Ron: A lot of them, I don't have.

Laura: Stats, but I just got a feeling.

Laura: I just felt like people were probably dying.

Ron: I think.

Ron: I think you're really cross and angry at me right now.

Laura: I'm not crossing angry with you.

Laura: You're paranoid because you're high as f***.

Ron: I'm not high.

Ron: I wish I was.

Ron: I'm not.

Ron: This isn't what I'm like when I'm stoned, actually.

Ron: But I've seen you stoned loads of times, Ron.

Ron: Not loads of times.

Ron: Sometimes.

Ron: Okay, like twelve times.

Laura: I knew you all the way through your university career, Ron.

Ron: Yeah, I was mainly sober when we were hanging out.

Ron: I don't know if you've ever seen me stone, apart from at festivals.

Laura: I saw you stoned last year when you were staying at my house when you came back from your work do.

Laura: And then we played video games and you were really good at it.

Ron: Oh, yeah, we're stoned then.

Ron: Right, that time.

Ron: And festivals.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: I don't even know why we're talking about this.

Laura: No.

Laura: So do the episode.

Ron: So 5th.

Ron: 5th reason was unknown.

Ron: So I.

Laura: So this just leads in Leeds, they didn't know why people died.

Ron: Yeah, but we've got to take.

Ron: We've got to assume leads is a microcosm.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: The rest of the world.

Ron: So stop tapping.

Ron: I'm not.

Ron: I'm tapping my laptop because I'm using it.

Laura: No, you're not.

Ron: I am using it.

Laura: What are you doing?

Ron: I'm tapping around.

Ron: So, Laura, so unknown in Leeds, from 1835 to deaths, they just had no idea why that happened.

Laura: Yeah, that's almost unknown is nowadays.

Ron: Well, I found this out, actually.

Ron: So now, in America in 2017, only 15 and a hundred thousand deaths.

Ron: They don't know what's going on.

Ron: Oh, so that's gone from being one in Florida.

Ron: That's gone from being one in 20 to 15 in a hundred thousand, if you can imagine that.

Laura: That's loads of different.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So that's not point naught, one, 5% unknowns.

Ron: But how mad is that?

Ron: Is that like, one in 20 people were dropping dead and they were just like, I've got no idea what happened there.

Ron: Me.

Ron: He was fine yesterday.

Ron: Yeah, or you'd just be like, mum's looking worse.

Ron: I think she's on her way out.

Ron: And then someone else be like, oh, no, what she got?

Ron: And you just like, beats me.

Laura: Yeah, but they would say, like, oh, she's got an imbalance of the four humours, wouldn't they?

Laura: Or, God is cross with her.

Laura: Or, she hasn't been bled enough this week.

Ron: No, that's more like medieval times.

Laura: No, they were bleeding people right up until, like, the 18th century.

Ron: Yeah, but we're talking about the 19th century.

Laura: When did they stop bleeding people?

Ron: I don't know.

Laura: In Poldark, they bleed people all the time.

Laura: Old doctor choke.

Ron: Yeah, but isn't that the 17 hundreds?

Laura: People stop bleeding each other in the UK till the end of the 19th century?

Laura: Okay, I'll just say the practice has been now abandoned by mutton mudden style medicine for all except a very few specific medical conditions.

Laura: I wonder what you might still get bled for.

Ron: Mega blood.

Ron: Too much blood.

Laura: That sounds like a theme hospital thing.

Laura: I'm sorry, you've got mega blood.

Ron: I'd love to play a bit of theme hospital right now.

Laura: I think you would?

Ron: Why?

Ron: Why do you think I wouldn't?

Laura: It's not ever as good as you remember it being theme hospital.

Laura: I've replayed it a few times.

Ron: Oh, have you?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I do want to play descent, though.

Ron: Oh, you should.

Laura: I find that, yeah.

Laura: I'd need to get a mouse, I think.

Laura: I don't think I'd be able to play it with a touchpad.

Ron: It was hard with a touchpad.

Ron: I.

Ron: My problem when I was playing is I didn't know how to save.

Ron: But I digress.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So.

Ron: So that's the unknown stuff.

Ron: Now let's go to the number one cause.

Ron: Laura.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Any.

Ron: Any thoughts?

Laura: Um, accident, adventure?

Ron: No.

Ron: Accident actually isn't in the top ten.

Ron: Neither is misadventure.

Ron: No.

Ron: So the number one cause of death in Leeds from 1835 to 1900 was bronchitis.

Laura: Oh, I was gonna say pneumonia, which is not far off.

Laura: That's lungs, isn't it?

Ron: Yeah, but, yeah.

Ron: So bronchitis is an inflammation of the airways in the lungs that is usually caused by an infection.

Ron: So this is why this was impossible to research and why I've done such a frankly shoddy job of putting together this episode is because.

Ron: Load.

Ron: So spoilers.

Ron: Right, so bronchitis is on there.

Ron: Convulsions are on there.

Ron: Inflammation is on there.

Ron: Diarrhea is on there.

Ron: Dropsies on their fits are on there.

Ron: Panic.

Laura: Dropsy.

Ron: Edema.

Ron: What's.

Ron: It's when your sort of tummy area fills with water as an inflammation thing.

Ron: But all of these things you do.

Ron: But it's called edema now.

Laura: I've never heard that word before.

Ron: Well, you're not a medical learner, doctor.

Laura: I've watched nearly all of Grey's anatomy and I don't remember anybody having oedema.

Ron: Some of them did, but they didn't.

Ron: They didn't talk about it.

Ron: Do you know when you see people that are in famine affected areas and they're quite skinny, but they have like, a tongue that looks sort of swollen?

Ron: That's edema.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So the reason why this was really hard to research is because all of these things that were on the causes of death back then aren't what we would call the cause of death now.

Ron: So, for example, like, edema is a.

Laura: Do you know one another thing I found out about today.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Courtesy of our friend Danny.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: I found out about a thing called the pouch of Douglas.

Ron: What's the pouch of Douglas?

Laura: The pouch of Douglas is like a pouch in your body, sort of like, I think it's like, behind your womb, like, between your womb and your colon or something.

Laura: There's just a little gap there with not a lot going on in it.

Laura: And it's called the pouch of Douglas.

Ron: Oh.

Laura: There you go.

Ron: So.

Ron: But, yeah, so it was hard because, like, yeah, bronchitis is a.

Ron: It's a symptom, not a disease itself.

Ron: So we.

Ron: So we would never say now someone.

Ron: Well, apart from chronic bronchitis, but that's different, Laura.

Ron: But, like, we wouldn't say really now, like, someone died of edema or dropsy.

Ron: We'd say, oh, well, they died of kidney failure and then that was one of the symptoms.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: So it's made it really hard to do this.

Laura: Good.

Ron: But anyway, we'll talk about bronchitis.

Ron: So, according to the NHS website, bronchitis is an inflammation of the airways in the lungs that's used.

Laura: You could have done it a different way then if this wasn't working out.

Laura: There was no illness and some cures that have been developed.

Ron: But I didn't know why we were doing this.

Laura: Why didn't you just say that then?

Ron: Because I was doing.

Ron: Laura, I was so flustered.

Ron: I told you I was floundering.

Ron: I just.

Ron: I was.

Laura: And so I helped.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And then I tried to take your help and use it, but I couldn't, Laura.

Laura: So why didn't you ask for more help?

Ron: Cause I was in deep, man.

Ron: I was in deep.

Ron: I was burning out there, man.

Ron: Burning in the fire.

Ron: You're so weird.

Laura: You're just such a weird little guy.

Ron: What's.

Ron: I.

Ron: This is what you asked for.

Laura: We've been recording for 20 minutes and so far all you've done is present reasons why it's a s*** episode?

Ron: No, I think this is gonna be a great episode.

Ron: Really funny.

Laura: Funny gonna start.

Ron: Do you think when I'm slagging off our episodes, it's because I think the contents, like the science, isn't good in them?

Laura: I think it's a mixture of both.

Laura: Sometimes you say it's our fault for being sloppy and unfun, and sometimes the science is boring and that makes you go.

Ron: No, when I'm saying that, I'm only talking about us as presenters.

Ron: I'm not talking about the science at all.

Laura: Well, this is criticism of you as a presenter.

Laura: You have done a bad job preparing to present.

Ron: No, but you're not listening to me or letting me talk.

Laura: I have done both for 21 minutes.

Laura: I guess I just have to let you continue.

Ron: Laura, listen.

Ron: Right, so, bronchitis, according to the NHS website, is an inflammation of the airways in the lungs, that is usually caused by an infection.

Ron: It often gets better without treatment in around three weeks.

Laura: Oh, unless you're in Leeds in the 1870s.

Ron: Well, that's the thing.

Ron: What were they doing?

Laura: Well, they were living in damp houses and there was lots of industrial revolution smog and overcrowded.

Laura: Why did you just pull a weird face?

Ron: No reason.

Laura: Have you got someone in the room with you?

Ron: No.

Ron: I did.

Ron: A rat.

Ron: Ah.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So, um.

Ron: I guess.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So this is.

Ron: Yeah, I mean, like, this is why it was hard to research, because, like.

Ron: So.

Ron: Yeah, just air quality's gotten a lot better.

Ron: Less people smoke.

Laura: This isn't.

Laura: These aren't reasons why it was hard to research.

Laura: This is meant to be the content, Ron.

Laura: Well, then, lap it up.

Ron: Here we go.

Ron: I'm doing it.

Ron: Here you go, your majesty.

Ron: Yeah, air quality is better.

Laura: Specials, episodes was.

Laura: There were supposed to be really good onboarding ones that were good standalone bits for getting new listeners in.

Laura: This ain't it.

Ron: What's not standalone about this?

Laura: It's a f shambles.

Ron: Standing alone though, isn't it?

Laura: On one leg, wobbling at the top of a mountain.

Ron: So the air quality is quite a lot better now.

Ron: People smoke less, which is good for your lungs to not smoke.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: However, there is something called chronic bronchitis.

Ron: Do you know what chronic bronchitis is more commonly known as, Laura?

Laura: Emphysema.

Ron: No, emphysema is slightly different.

Ron: It's known as COPD.

Laura: Right.

Ron: Which stands for.

Ron: Hang on.

Ron: Hold please.

Ron: Call her.

Ron: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Ron: So do you know.

Ron: Do you know what chronic means?

Laura: Chronic means long term.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: What's the opposite of chronic?

Laura: Temporary.

Ron: Acute.

Laura: Oh, yeah.

Ron: Obstructive.

Ron: That means like there's an obstruction, something's in the way, a blockage, like you.

Laura: Standing between me and a good episode.

Ron: Laura, this is harsh words.

Laura: Stop rubbing whatever is on the desk.

Laura: That is just tapping away.

Laura: The sound quality is going to be abysmal.

Ron: Pulmonary.

Ron: That just means lungs.

Laura: I got toe blurring today.

Laura: Let's see stars.

Laura: If you come and stay, you can ask them.

Ron: You never guess what I bought yesterday.

Laura: What'd you buy?

Ron: Box of assorted broken biscuits.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Were they broken before you bought them?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Like a box of broken biscuits?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: You ever had a box of bread biscuits?

Laura: No.

Laura: I've earned money.

Laura: I just buy whole ones.

Ron: Laura.

Laura: Yeah?

Ron: Guess how much biscuits was in this box?

Ron: 400 grams more.

Laura: Two kilos less.

Laura: One kilo more.

Laura: One and a half kilos less.

Laura: 1250 grams more.

Laura: 1300.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: How much did it cost?

Ron: Guess.

Laura: Two pound?

Laura: 50?

Ron: More.

Laura: Four pounds?

Laura: Yes.

Laura: Are they chocolate biscuits?

Ron: Some of them.

Laura: Where is this box?

Ron: I could go get it if you want.

Laura: Yeah, I'll see it.

Ron: Right, I've got it.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Whoa, that is big.

Laura: Looks like a multi pack box of crisps.

Laura: Why did I encourage him to go and get snacks that was not even broken?

Ron: No, loads of them aren't broken, actually.

Ron: That one's just like a.

Ron: That's just a digestive.

Laura: You can have a drive now.

Laura: Yeah, Blaine, with your housemates.

Ron: Yeah, I just left them on the counter for everybody.

Laura: That is a whole chocolate covered biscuit.

Ron: That's just like a penguin bar.

Laura: That's not broken at all.

Ron: Yeah, but the thing about these is you can take a bite and then put it back and no one will know.

Laura: No, they will know.

Laura: Broken biscuits aren't half eaten biscuits.

Laura: People know the difference between teeth marks and a broken biscuit.

Ron: So many of them are just plain.

Ron: Plain.

Ron: Actually, that's quite disappointing.

Laura: Oh, is that like an oaty one?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Hang on, I want to show you my favorite.

Ron: Hang on.

Ron: This isn't my favorite, but I want to show you this one.

Laura: Oh, I love those ones.

Laura: The little rings with the jam in the middle and a bit of frosting.

Laura: Did you put that all in, little one?

Laura: Er, Ron, you are gonna have goop in your teeth for the rest of this episode.

Laura: Oh, there's Ron's favorite.

Laura: Oh.

Laura: Oh, it's like a chocolate colored.

Laura: That looks like a fox's one.

Laura: Has it gone f on it?

Ron: It's a fox's round.

Laura: Yeah, you should put that one in hole too, man.

Laura: I want to eat loads of biscuits.

Laura: How many people in Leeds died from eating too many biscuits?

Laura: Oh, there's this water.

Laura: Child of the podcast will not stop pointing to guitars and talking about you.

Ron: That's cuz I'm her favorite.

Laura: Yeah, she does like you.

Ron: Yeah, she's cool, man.

Ron: She is very cool.

Ron: So, friend of the podcast, Noah and I went to the to explain the box of biscuits and where that came from.

Ron: Yesterday, me and Noah had to go out for crafting supplies, so we went to B and M, which is around the corner, kind of like this business cart.

Ron: It's a bit weird round there.

Ron: There's a kfc, but it's also opposite, across from a Ford dealership, which is next to the.

Ron: The Babcock building.

Ron: Weird, but.

Laura: So we went Babcock building.

Ron: You know Babcock, the defense company?

Laura: No, I've never heard of them.

Ron: It's really odd.

Ron: Because you're just, like, there and then there's, like, those guys and they're just like, making missiles.

Ron: Bad.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Bad times.

Laura: Bad c***, more like.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So then we went there, and then there was an Iceland food warehouse, which we went in.

Ron: I got the biscuits there in Iceland.

Laura: I thought they only sold frozen stuff.

Ron: There was loads of frozen stuff, Laura.

Ron: Loads of, I guess, thawed stuff, too.

Laura: Biscuits.

Ron: Yeah, I got this box of biscuits in there also.

Ron: They had a shelf of all of the sauces that you see at kebab shops, so I got some of those.

Ron: I also got a huge thing of Heinz ketchup, like 750 grams for four kids.

Laura: Vegan kebab meat is pretty good these days.

Laura: If you fry it up with an onion, soy sauce and a bit of cumin, it is.

Ron: Mmm.

Ron: Well, I like a wrap for lunch.

Ron: And now I've got, like, a yogurt and mint sauce to put on the top.

Ron: Beautiful.

Ron: What else did I get?

Ron: I got.

Ron: I got some vegan frozen food, like chicken nuggets and stuff, but not chicken, obviously.

Ron: And.

Ron: Oh, and another Heinz one that was just called chip sauce, but I've had some of it.

Ron: It's basically mayo.

Laura: Nice.

Ron: So chronic bronchitis, otherwise known as COPD.

Ron: This one, Laura, still in the top ten, causes a death to this day.

Laura: Wow.

Laura: Really?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: That's surprising because.

Laura: Wow.

Laura: So there's not really.

Laura: So there's nothing they can do about it?

Ron: Well, I guess not specifically this one, but chronic respiratory issues still are.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I mean, it's the main thing we have to do to be alive.

Laura: So it makes sense that if that goes, you can't continue.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So that's number one bronchitis.

Ron: Take that off the list.

Laura: All right.

Ron: It's just this picture that I found while I was researching.

Laura: Why is that funny?

Laura: I don't know why.

Ron: It's quite funny, though, isn't it?

Laura: It's a person coughing and then it's like a sort of cut through of their lungs, and then it shows you, I'm assuming, like, a healthy lung and a bronchitis or lung, but there's something just very funny about it.

Laura: I'll put it on the instagram.

Ron: So when you hear itis in the name of a disease lawyer, that just means swollen, basically.

Ron: Oh, and then appendicitis.

Laura: A swollen appendix.

Ron: Yep.

Laura: Enceladus.

Ron: Swollen tonosaurus.

Ron: Huh?

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And then the tubes there.

Ron: You've got tubes in your lungs.

Ron: You've got your bronchi and your bronchioles, which are two different types of tube in your lungs.

Ron: So it's those getting all swollen up.

Ron: So the next one, Laura, is.

Ron: Hang on.

Ron: Hold, please.

Ron: Call her.

Ron: Consumption.

Ron: Do you know what a consumption is?

Laura: Tuberculosis.

Ron: It is TB.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: That's what satine dies of in Moulin Rouge.

Ron: That's what I think about as well.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So it comes up in a lot.

Laura: Of things, isn't it?

Laura: I think because it's a good filmic thing to have somebody cough into a tissue and then look at it and have blood on it.

Laura: It gets used a lot in, in films, doesn't it?

Ron: And I mean, like, if you, if we're talking about adults, it's the second biggest killer in Leeds in 1835 to.

Laura: 1900, until they started smashing those badgers up.

Ron: But we talked about, we've talked about tb before and how to prevent it.

Ron: Do you remember where.

Laura: Kill the badgers.

Laura: Kill the badgers.

Ron: No, not that.

Laura: Stave the little heads in.

Laura: No more badgers.

Laura: Take the badgers out of leads.

Ron: Take the badgers out of leads.

Laura: Um, how did we talk about it?

Laura: Uh, is there's a.

Laura: Do you get vaccinated now, don't you, for tb?

Ron: Nope.

Laura: Do we not?

Laura: I thought we did.

Ron: Nope, because it's a bacteria.

Ron: Oh, don't get vaccinated against the bacteria.

Ron: Probably.

Ron: No, maybe you do.

Ron: I can't remember.

Laura: I swear.

Laura: There's a tuberculosis vaccine.

Ron: I don't think so.

Laura: Tuberculosis vaccine?

Laura: Yeah, the BCG.

Laura: Oh, that's what BCG was for.

Ron: Oh, f***.

Ron: Yes.

Laura: Because that came up recently because we had to do child of the podcast's nursery application, and it was like, what vaccines has she had?

Laura: And one of the options was tuberculosis.

Laura: And I was trying to work out if she'd had that one.

Laura: And then it was like, no, probably not.

Laura: Because they only give it to babies if they are, like, in high risk tuberculosis environments.

Laura: I don't know, maybe farm babies get them or something, and then the rest of us get them as, like, teenagers.

Laura: Interesting, because our plot point in outlander, when she was at a hanging, and this woman who was being hung to be a witch, when she looked at her, she had a BCG scar on her arm.

Laura: And that's how she realized that more people than her were time traveling.

Ron: Oh, what's Outlander about?

Laura: It's about a woman who travels through a circle of stones and back to, like, I can't remember what century, 18th century Scotland, like, jacobite era Scotland, Culloden, that kind of time.

Ron: Okay, what's Culloden?

Laura: A big battle.

Ron: Oh, does that happen in Outlander?

Laura: Yeah, it was like one of, I think Culloden was where the clan got very heavily massacred by the english troops, I think.

Ron: Sounds like English.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: It was all the Bonnie Prince Charlie uprising, I think.

Ron: But I didn't actually research this vaccine, actually.

Laura: Well, yeah, because I just told you about it.

Ron: Yeah, but good to know.

Ron: But that's not when we've talked about it.

Laura: When did we talk about it?

Ron: Do you remember the name Alan L.

Ron: Hart?

Laura: No.

Ron: Alan L.

Ron: Hart is someone that we discussed in our lovely queer episode.

Laura: Oh, sorry, I forgot you, Alan L.

Laura: Hart.

Ron: Alan El Hart basically pioneered using x rays to check people's lungs for tuberculosis so that they could get preventative treatment before they started showing symptoms and stuff.

Ron: And saved hundreds of thousands of lives.

Ron: Good bloke.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Hang on.

Laura: I'll hastily tell you about the fact sheet on the BCG as well.

Laura: It's the basile comet guerin and it is a vaccine for tuberculosis.

Laura: Oh, they don't do it in the US, but.

Laura: Oh, wait, this is not as user friendly as I hoped it would be.

Laura: Vaccine knowledge key vaccine facts although often thought as a lung disease, TB can infect other parts of the body, including the brain.

Laura: The vaccine is 70% to 80% effective against the most severe forms of TB, such as TB meningitis.

Laura: However, it is less effective in preventing the form of TB that affects the lungs.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: The other thing that you've got for TB, Laura, is different.

Ron: There are lots of different drugs that you can take to help with TB because a huge proportion of the world's population just always have TB.

Ron: Like, it lives undetected quite a lot in people's lungs.

Ron: Sometimes I think in, like little pockets of tissue.

Ron: But when you do have the symptoms, there are different drugs you can take.

Ron: These will effectively just kind of attack a certain part of TB's like the bacteria's reproductive system.

Ron: So it says here it will target cell wall synthesis, protein synthesis, or nucleic acid synthesis.

Ron: But it does also say for some drugs the mechanisms of action have not been fully identified.

Ron: Okay, so they just don't know for some of them.

Ron: But it works.

Ron: So they can.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: So don't question it.

Ron: No.

Ron: Okay, that's tb.

Ron: So the next one, Laura, that we're going to talk about is convulsions, maybe.

Laura: Like epilepsy or something.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: But then there's also fits, which is 9th.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: It could be like, what is a seizure, medically speaking?

Laura: Is that lots of different things?

Ron: No, I did Google that.

Ron: A seizure is essentially like, you convulse you have a convulsion while you're having a seizure.

Ron: Like a convulsion is the action of it.

Ron: A seizure is the medical thing that's happening.

Laura: Okay, good to know.

Ron: So there is a thing, it's called sudep.

Ron: This is called sudden unexpected death in epilepsy, which basically means you die while you're having a seizure.

Ron: But again, it's one of those things where we don't really treat people for the convulsions, we treat them for epilepsy, and we just know how to handle that better so people don't die of it as much.

Laura: Is epilepsy.

Laura: It's a nerve thing, is it?

Ron: Yeah, I think it's just the signals on your nerves start like, nightmare, nightmare, nightmare.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: There's lots of different convulsive mechanisms.

Ron: Sorry, convulsive medicines.

Ron: And they will basically target different parts of your nervous system in the pathway and regulate them better.

Ron: Sodium valproate.

Laura: Well, that was a death.

Ron: No, that's one of the medicines.

Ron: Carbamazepine.

Laura: Sounds delish.

Ron: Lambertridgene.

Laura: That's a car.

Ron: Leviteracetum.

Laura: That's a spell, I believe, from prisoner of Azkaban.

Ron: Topiramate.

Laura: That is a verb meaning to have sex with an egyptian worker.

Ron: They come in different forms, tablets, capsules, liquids.

Laura: Why is eating this bit out?

Laura: This bit seems boring.

Ron: Because this is what you asked for.

Ron: Should we move on?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: All right, the next one, Laura, is.

Ron: Drum roll, please.

Ron: This is where unknown would have been, but we've already talked about it.

Ron: So.

Ron: Next one.

Laura: Dog bite.

Ron: Drum roll.

Laura: Oh, another one.

Ron: Inflammation.

Laura: Watch.

Laura: Swollen head.

Laura: Bloaty head syndrome.

Ron: Bloaty head syndrome.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So they used to think that person was swollen to death.

Laura: Oh, doesn't sound right.

Ron: No.

Ron: So this one, I'll be honest, impossible to research because loads of things get you inflamed and we have treatment for those things.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: All I'm thinking about now is a combination of that bit of Harry Potter when the aunt blows up and floats out the door, and then hippos that have died and are floating around in the water, you know, when they get really swollen.

Laura: Oh, do you not know?

Laura: I mean, do you know, have you never seen, like, a dead hippo carcass when they get really bloated?

Laura: No.

Laura: Oh, hang on, I'll find one to show you.

Ron: You find that I need more water because my mouth's dry from biscuits.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Okay, I'm back now, Laura.

Ron: Yeah, I'm back now.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: Look at this hippo.

Ron: Oh.

Ron: Oh, is that lying on top of it?

Laura: Yeah, it's trying to eat it.

Ron: And you watch this regularly?

Ron: Is that poo coming out of its tummy?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Is it exploding?

Laura: Yeah, it's full of gases.

Laura: The lions run away now.

Ron: I didn't know this was a thing people didn't watch.

Laura: Yeah, but they.

Laura: They swell up real big.

Ron: I know.

Ron: Whales do that because some whales explode.

Laura: Yeah, so do some hippos.

Ron: Wow.

Laura: Find you another one.

Laura: Look, their legs will stick out like their little blow up.

Ron: The lions and hyenas are on it.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: They're gonna eat it anyway.

Laura: That's what I'm thinking about when you say people died of being swollen because they might have just swollen up after they died like these hippos have.

Ron: Yeah, maybe.

Laura: This is the weirdest episode we've ever done.

Ron: Really weird one, isn't it?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: They've got on here in Leeds, right.

Ron: About what different people's jobs were when they died.

Ron: Do you want to go through some of those just as a little break?

Laura: No.

Ron: Number one.

Ron: Profession when died.

Ron: Do you want to guess?

Laura: Tana?

Ron: Child.

Laura: I'm a professional.

Laura: Child.

Ron: Number two?

Laura: Baker.

Ron: Wife.

Laura: Wife.

Ron: Do you want to guess?

Ron: Number three.

Laura: Widow.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Do you want to guess?

Ron: Number four?

Laura: Um, vicar.

Ron: No.

Ron: Unknown.

Ron: They don't know.

Ron: Number five.

Laura: Dog.

Ron: Spinster.

Laura: Oh, no.

Ron: Number six.

Laura: None of these are professionals so far.

Laura: Number six.

Ron: Infant.

Laura: What's the difference between an infant and a child?

Laura: Is that like a baby?

Ron: No, because loads of them would have been babies.

Ron: I don't know.

Ron: Number seven.

Laura: Um, carpenter.

Ron: Gentleman.

Laura: Oh.

Ron: Number eight.

Laura: Surf.

Ron: No.

Ron: Well, kind of.

Ron: Laborer.

Laura: Oh, yeah, the first one.

Ron: That's actually a job.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Well, I mean, like, wife's like a full time job.

Laura: More than that.

Ron: Number nine.

Laura: Brothel, maybe.

Ron: I don't really know.

Ron: This is cloth.

Ron: Dresser, I guess.

Laura: Making cloth.

Laura: I don't know.

Ron: Number ten.

Laura: Farmer.

Ron: Mechanic.

Laura: Oh, yeah.

Ron: There you go.

Ron: All right, back to the other list now.

Ron: Next one.

Ron: Next.

Ron: We've got loads more time than that.

Ron: How long have we been recording?

Laura: 45 minutes.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I mean, actually, I suppose four minutes of that is.

Laura: You going to get biscuits.

Laura: So I like this.

Ron: Episode number seven.

Ron: What do you think?

Laura: I thought it was spinster.

Ron: No, no.

Ron: Cause of death now?

Laura: Oh, drowning?

Ron: No.

Ron: Diarrhea.

Laura: Oh, no.

Laura: I just think that would be the worst thing to die off.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Like, it's like about not that much.

Ron: Less than 5% pooed themselves.

Laura: They haven't really got any hygiene, health and safety or refrigerators or anything, have they?

Laura: So you're eating a lot of spoiled meat.

Laura: You've got s*** all over your fingers.

Laura: There's flies in everything.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: People probably just had, like, undiagnosed allergies all the time.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: The water would have been rancid.

Ron: Nobody washed their hands.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So when I was in hair, it wasn't even just.

Laura: You didn't wash your hands?

Laura: It was, like, considered unhealthy to bathe more than once a year here.

Ron: When I was in Hereford, when we went to the jacobean house, we were talking to the lady there, and she was saying that at the time, they banned forks because what they noticed was that someone would be serving the food out, and then if that person was ill and they used, like, the fork and gave the food to everyone, everyone would get sick.

Ron: Like, not like.

Ron: It's not that they noticed the person saving the food was sick, so they noticed that if a fork was used, people got ill, so they just banned forks.

Laura: I mean, it's not logical.

Ron: No, but, like, spoons were fine.

Ron: They banned forks, but everyone had to bring their own knife.

Ron: And then you ate with your own knife to stop disease from getting spread.

Laura: Yeah, I knew about that, actually.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: I also found out that, like, the reason we have things like chairman of the board and boardroom and room and board is because you didn't so much have a table as you had a board that you put on two, like, trestle hole things.

Laura: And that's where all board talk comes from.

Ron: And it's also why you're not supposed to put your elbows on the table.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Because you'd flip it.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So, number eight, Laura, we've already talked about it.

Ron: A bit dropsy, aka edema.

Ron: So it's a swelling under the skin.

Ron: Now, again, this one was really hard to research because there's loads of different things that can cause it, including kidney disease, heart failure, liver disease, chronic lung disease, malnutrition and pregnancy.

Ron: But it's not swelling under the skin, guys.

Ron: That's a baby.

Laura: It's kind of a swelling.

Laura: It's just a swelling.

Laura: Baby under the skin.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So again, there's another one that's just kind of a symptom.

Laura: What do you have to do, though?

Laura: Drain the fluid out or do you have take something that stops it building up?

Ron: No, I think you treat the kidney disease or the heart failure or the liver disease.

Laura: Don't put water in it.

Laura: Can't build up.

Laura: That's my motto.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And then number nine, that's fits.

Ron: That's the same as convulsions.

Ron: So I've kind of lumped them in together.

Ron: And then the last one's heart disease and I can't really do that one because loads of people die from heart.

Laura: Disease way less now.

Laura: We've got all stents and we've got like, bypasses and all that kind of stuff, beta blockers, statins.

Ron: I don't know.

Ron: In the seven.

Ron: In the 65 years that we're talking about, only a thousand people in Leeds died of heart disease.

Laura: Except that more people died of it.

Laura: They just didn't know that that was what was causing the adrenaline.

Ron: Well, yeah, 2500, we don't know what they died of.

Laura: Yeah, I bet that was all heart attack.

Laura: We barely had any vegetables in this country.

Laura: Everybody was just eating salt pork.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: The run cap diet I do have.

Ron: And I've got another chart here where it's got, like, different ages and then different years and then it says, like, how they died.

Laura: Made you burpee.

Ron: Yeah, I'm sugar crashing now.

Ron: Like, in 1915, up until, like, everyone from zero up to 75, just infections were the way that they were dying.

Laura: They've heard of infections now.

Laura: That's good.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Above 75, they're dying of something called senile decay.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Just being old.

Ron: Just get old then.

Ron: And this is then it's f****** mental.

Ron: Right.

Ron: So from 1945 through to 2005, there's a big blob in between five years old and 29 years old for men, where just motor accidents are the main way they're dying.

Ron: Yeah, well, not main way they're dying, but the biggest cause of death.

Ron: But then, I mean, this is why this is hard to.

Ron: It does get sad because, like, then.

Laura: It becomes suicide, doesn't it?

Laura: It's like.

Ron: Yeah, that then comes out, but then, like, a lot of it is blue for heart conditions because heart conditions still really bad.

Ron: But nobody in no age range is infection the biggest thing anymore.

Laura: That's amazing.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And actually in under 15s for men, it's cancer, which sounds bleak, but that's kind of like.

Ron: It means we've stopped all the other ones.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Everything else that is.

Laura: Because cancer is so broad and so finickety to treat, like, you know, so hard.

Laura: So that is a very impressive medical leap on that.

Laura: You've eradicated everything else.

Laura: And now we dive the hardest things, but not all these other things.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And in women, similar story on the infections.

Ron: Similar story actually, on the.

Ron: On the motor vehicles.

Ron: But instead of like, this huge swathe for heart conditions, it's been cancer for a while, for women, a lot of deaths.

Laura: So women get heart conditions less than men, apparently.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: That's interesting.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: I wonder if that is lifestyle based or just our hearts are slightly different to yours.

Ron: Maybe a bit of both, but I presume lifestyle based.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: We don't have smoking rooms.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And also, like, you're not really stressed about, you know, having to be like a breadwinner all the time.

Ron: You know, it's kind of hard for the men out there.

Laura: Well, that's what we've always said on this podcast, is that men come first.

Ron: Life's hard for the slacks.

Laura: You're really taken with that quote, aren't you?

Ron: It made me laugh when I saw it again today.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Have I got anything else in my notes here?

Ron: Oh, natural decay.

Ron: This is just old age.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: All right.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: I don't think that episode was anywhere near as bad as you were making out it was gonna be.

Ron: I was just really confused by it that came across.

Laura: I'm proud of you for persevering, though, and thank you to the people of Leeds for supplying us with such interesting content.

Ron: Yeah, you can get loads of interesting info on death from the national.

Ron: The office of National Statistics.

Ron: What I was talking through there is an article that they published called causes of death over a hundred years.

Ron: Most of this information came from Livingwithdying Leeds ac dot UK, which is a blog done by the Leeds University where they've done lots of analysis into the cemetery that's there, which is why we've talked about Leeds.

Laura: Did they put the cause of death on the headstones or would it just be in the book?

Ron: In the book, maybe.

Laura: In a book.

Ron: In a book, yeah.

Laura: Well, thank you, Ron, and Happy Easter, everybody.

Ron: Happy Easter, rabbits.

Laura: You're so festive, you don't know what to do with yourself.

Laura: And next year we will have 1 hour of uninterrupted rabbit facts.

Laura: We'll see patrons this Friday for the eggathon 2024.

Ron: If you have 24 eggs.

Laura: No, I'm not eating 24 f****** eggs.

Laura: Are you mad?

Laura: If you're not a patron, you need to be so that you can see the agathon and you can see the live episode that went out on Friday.

Laura: No spoilers, but it's not something you're going to want to miss if you're a hardcore fan of the podcast.

Laura: And we hope you love us and we'll see you next week.

Ron: Class deaths miss.

Laura: Oh, I thought you were going to say leads dismissed.

Ron: Leads to deathsmith.

Laura: Class leadsmith.

No comments:

Post a Comment