Lexx Education - Episode Index

Episode 1 - Biology - A Lego Brick Full of Meccano                          Introduction to cells. Episode 2 - Chemistry - Bob Marley and th...

Monday 14 November 2022

The Worst Episode Yet

 Laura: Hello and welcome to another episode of Lexx Education Science podcast, where comedian meet Laura Lexx tries to learn science from her normal younger brother, Ron.

Ron: Hello, I'm normal Ron.

Laura: Hi, Ron.

Laura: How are you?

Ron: I'm good, thank you.

Ron: How are you doing?

Laura: I'm very well.

Laura: I've had a haircut.

Laura: Look at my hair.

Ron: It looks very different to how it looked before.

Laura: It does, actually.

Laura: It has, like, six inches cut off.

Ron: It's been like this for years.

Laura: Oh, my God.

Laura: What have you been up to today, Ronnie Hanks?

Laura: You went see a band last night?

Ron: I did go to see a band last night.

Ron: I went to a music show.

Laura: The music show.

Laura: How was the concert?

Ron: It was very nice.

Ron: I went to see Courtney Barnett, who.

Laura: Is I love Courtney Barnett.

Laura: That's what music called lost chewing gum in my day.

Laura: It's Courtney Barnett.

Ron: But, yeah, she's very cool.

Ron: Went to Antwerp.

Ron: Antwerp's.

Ron: Nice.

Laura: Nice.

Laura: And why did you go, Ron?

Laura: Because it's your birthday, Eve.

Ron: It is my birthday, Eve.

Ron: Not when the episode comes out, though.

Ron: My birthday will be long in the past by then.

Laura: Yeah, but it is Ron's birthday tomorrow on the day of recording, so it will have been gone by the time you're hearing this.

Laura: But speaking of birthdays, Ron, you know how we wanted to do Birthday Corner?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Well, we only bloody got a lovely email from Matthew.

Laura: Hello, Matthew.

Laura: And he wanted to let us know that his birthday is coming up this week.

Laura: The week that this one's released on the 19 November.

Laura: Happy birthday.

Ron: Lab Rap matthew Happy birthday, Matthew.

Ron: Wishing you all the best in the world.

Laura: And Ron will do your finger painting and pop it on the Instagram.

Laura: That's part of our new feature, Birthday Corner.

Ron: I don't have any paint, so I will see what squudgy liquids I have in my kitchen.

Ron: Potentially, it will be a Marmite drawing, but how exciting.

Laura: Happy birthday and thank you for getting in touch.

Laura: The first of a new feature, Birthday Surprises.

Laura: I've got a lot of social media shoutouts to do.

Laura: I've got a horribly delayed hello to Tanya, who messaged us on Facebook weeks ago.

Laura: But I never noticed that we can get messages on Facebook.

Laura: So thank you.

Laura: You sent us a very good explanation about the down episode and a brilliant drawing.

Laura: Thank you for that.

Laura: Thank you to Kristen, who's listening in Ireland, who gave us a lovely fivestar review on Apple podcasts.

Laura: Thank you very much, Kristin.

Laura: They said the steam song really cheers their heart whenever they hear it.

Ron: We did nail that, didn't we?

Laura: Yeah, well, you did that.

Laura: You entirely did that.

Ron: Yeah, as a vibe.

Ron: We nailed it.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I think it reminds me of, like, Danny Champion of the world, you know, like no, not that.

Laura: George's Marvis medicine.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: So, yeah, there's been lots of fun on socials.

Laura: If you do if you don't follow us, please do Twitter's.

Laura: Obviously, impoding into a must be fireball.

Laura: But we are also on Instagram, Facebook and TikTok, so keep in touch with us there.

Laura: Nick on Instagram was giving us a little bit more detail on Trepanning.

Laura: Apparently, they still do it, ron what's?

Ron: Trepanning?

Laura: That's drilling into your head things.

Laura: Yeah, it still happens.

Ron: Oh, that makes me feel the willies.

Laura: Inside this horrible right.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: But apparently it can be a successful surgery technique or he's winding me up and I've fallen for it.

Laura: But either way, that's happening.

Laura: Alex on TikTok, let me know that.

Laura: Apparently, Ron, the fact that we've reached episode 22 makes us a pretty successful podcast.

Laura: A lot of podcasts do not get this far.

Ron: That's pretty cool.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I mean, we're smashing it, aren't we?

Laura: Yeah, well, thanks for your support, Alex, because we haven't got many followers on TikTok and you joining in with us there really helps make it feel a lot less weird.

Laura: And Andrew on Twitter had some fabulous information on Graphite and graphene from last week's Carbon episode.

Laura: So if you're interested in a follow up on Graphite and Graphene, get following us there.

Laura: We're Lexx Education at Lexx Education and we try and retweet all the interesting stuff that you send us.

Laura: It also featured my favourite moment of the week.

Laura: Ron, Jenny, also on Twitter, asked us a question about why some diamonds are different coloured.

Laura: And I go, Kind of right, yeah.

Ron: I was very proud of you.

Ron: I saw that.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Smashed it.

Laura: Some weird stuff gets in in place of some carbons and it changes it ever so slightly.

Laura: And Kevin said, yes, that but also sometimes the lattice gets squashed.

Laura: And then I didn't understand that at all.

Laura: So you did a mouth opening thing.

Ron: You said you didn't understand it, and then I made the assumption that maybe you wanted to learn, and then I was like, no, it's okay.

Laura: So, thank you very much for all your joining innis.

Laura: It's been very pleasant.

Laura: I just say an apple real quick.

Laura: Before we started recording and it's having its repeats, I had curly fries and NUGS and two fried eggs.

Ron: They sell tortellini by the kilogramme in our new supermarket.

Ron: So I had tortellini for lunch.

Laura: Tortellini?

Ron: No, I had three big handfuls.

Laura: Well, listen, enjoy the episode.

Laura: I think this is a very classic episode.

Laura: If your Lab Rap Bingo contains all the classics, you're going to have them all here.

Laura: Enjoy.

Laura: Hello, Ron.

Ron: Hi, Laura.

Laura: I don't feel very focused today.

Laura: Also, I've noticed a thing.

Laura: Right.

Laura: This is my notebook and it opens like that.

Laura: Yeah, that's how book works.

Laura: But then the bigger top margin is at the bottom.

Laura: That's not right, is it?

Laura: Showing me the notebook has been made upside down.

Ron: Where's the margin?

Laura: That will tell you it doesn't have a margin.

Ron: Well, there you go.

Laura: That top margin is bigger than that.

Ron: But, yeah, it would be perverse if the periodic table was on the back of the book.

Laura: Right, I agree.

Ron: What does the back look like?

Laura: Just plain black.

Laura: And it says, Designed within Denmark.

Laura: That way up.

Laura: So this is the right way up.

Laura: But then there's just more space in the bottom margin than in the top one.

Ron: Maybe that's the Danish way.

Laura: Are you listening?

Laura: Are you Danish?

Laura: Can you confirm anyway, anything not to talk about physics.

Ron: Hello, and welcome to the physics lesson.

Ron: Are you ready for physics, Laura?

Laura: Not really.

Laura: Because here's the thing.

Laura: I've been trying to do, like, a healthy eating thing for a while and basically it means I'm not having any biscuits, so I'm really craving biscuits, especially in this, like, mid afternoon time where I get a bit tired.

Laura: I want biscuits, so I'm a bit cross.

Ron: Have you tried eating some fruit?

Ron: I ate two kiwis before the record.

Laura: Oh.

Laura: I don't think we've got any fruit in the house at the moment because we're going away this week.

Laura: You know when you're just trying to eat everything down to a nub?

Ron: We're going away on Wednesday, so we haven't bought fruit this month.

Laura: We're going away this week, so we thought we'd try scurvy, just see how it fit.

Laura: No, but you know, I've got four real crispy oranges.

Laura: Look how many oranges I can hold in one hand.

Laura: Yeah, that's four oranges.

Laura: I've got really big hands.

Laura: Oh, shut up.

Ron: Just for the listener.

Ron: They can't see.

Ron: Like, I wouldn't have corrected you, but they can't see.

Ron: And the idea of you holding four oranges in one hand mental.

Ron: Right?

Laura: I could hold four oranges in one hand.

Ron: I don't think you could.

Laura: I think I could.

Ron: Anyway, they were sticky.

Ron: That's just sticking forward, right?

Ron: Laura yeah.

Ron: So we're moving slightly away from circuits today.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Thank God.

Ron: We are staying in the realm of electricity, though.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: We're going to be talking less about how it works and more about baths.

Laura: This isn't any of the words I hoped you'd say today.

Ron: Do you remember quite some time ago we discussed what you looking at?

Ron: Are you on your phone?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Because you said this wasn't really a lesson where I needed to do anything.

Ron: No, it didn't.

Laura: That's kind of what I heard when you said it's electrical maths.

Ron: No, you need focus up.

Ron: All right.

Laura: I pulled my shorts up really highly, like hot pants.

Ron: Why are you wearing are you wearing a turtleneck?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: And shorts.

Laura: I like a business.

Laura: Creek.

Laura: Look.

Laura: Fancy turtleneck, Hawaiian shorts.

Ron: That's weird, man.

Ron: That's odd.

Laura: It's like the Mullet outfit.

Laura: It was quite hot this morning and then it started raining while I was watering the flowers, which was confusing moment.

Ron: Right?

Ron: Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Do you remember some time ago we were calculating the amount of energy it would take to boil a cup of tea?

Laura: Oh, Jesus.

Laura: Yeah, I've got tea today.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Heat constant.

Laura: What are you doing now?

Laura: You're typing and not listening.

Ron: I am.

Ron: I need to message the cat sitter quickly.

Laura: I'm going to look at Twitter some more then.

Ron: Cool.

Ron: Right, next time focus.

Laura: No, you don't get a click at me just when you're done, actually.

Ron: Yeah, but I was doing something.

Ron: You're just scrolling Twitter, hoping people I'm.

Laura: Looking at a message from somebody.

Ron: From me.

Laura: No.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: Chelsea Burke be getting four stars in the Telegraph anyway.

Ron: Are you done?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Can you put your phone down?

Ron: Laura, I haven't even finished the f****** previously on we need to get going to do it.

Laura: Previously on because all of this is.

Ron: Building on prior learning.

Ron: That's how learning works.

Laura: Have remembered that, then?

Ron: Yeah, but I'm teaching you.

Laura: You're not.

Ron: Right.

Laura: Drain the swamp.

Ron: You remember when we were working at.

Laura: The end of the day?

Laura: You know I don't.

Ron: You said yes when I asked me a moment ago.

Laura: Can't shout that loud.

Laura: It goes in the red and it says, don't care.

Ron: Right.

Ron: Do you remember that we were talking about something called power?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Do you remember what that's measured in?

Laura: Jewels?

Ron: No.

Laura: Amps.

Ron: No, don't just say things.

Laura: Oh.

Ron: No, I'm telling.

Laura: Vaults.

Ron: No, don't just say things.

Laura: Stop saying all your catchpases.

Laura: No, those are all the ones we talked about.

Ron: No, it was what?

Laura: Oh, yeah, right.

Ron: So we're talking about power again.

Ron: Okay, for this time, we're going to come at it from the circuit side of things rather than just the energy side of things.

Ron: Because also, you and I, we both remember that Watts is equal to Joules per second.

Ron: Joules being the unit of energy.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Okay, we've been talking about this.

Ron: We've been talking about circuits and stuff.

Ron: Remember?

Ron: We've been like, oh, where does this energy come from?

Ron: Does it lose something when it goes through the bulb?

Ron: When it lights up and stuff?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Remember?

Ron: Okay, so the power my dog's barking again.

Ron: Yeah, she's a s***.

Ron: The power of a circuit.

Ron: P for power equals I for current times, V for vault.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: What?

Ron: Was I current?

Laura: No.

Laura: That is so stupid.

Ron: That is stupid.

Ron: I agree.

Laura: Let's have a sound effect.

Laura: But every time there's something stupid that we both agree on.

Ron: All right, let's take interns to record one.

Laura: Okay, you go first.

Laura: The mobile van just pulled up outside my house.

Laura: I think Tom might be leaving me.

Ron: How sad would it be if he was and we had it on record?

Ron: This show must go on, though.

Ron: We'd have to put him yeah.

Laura: Bye, Tom.

Laura: Sorry, I've got workouts.

Ron: And what's your noise?

Laura: I'm on holiday with me next week because my holiday is non refundable.

Ron: What's your noise?

Laura: My noise would be like that.

Ron: I like it.

Ron: Okay, so p equals IV.

Laura: Power equals p equals IV.

Laura: Unless you're in a hospital, and then that's just mean.

Ron: So that's power equals current times the voltage or the potential difference.

Ron: Yep.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Now, do you remember from previous episodes that potential difference?

Ron: Focus up.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Centre yourself, but throw those away.

Laura: That voltage with the Mackey's water bottle to keep them fresh.

Ron: That voltage equals current times resistance.

Laura: Is that delta?

Laura: No, it's not.

Laura: What was that?

Laura: What did you say?

Laura: Total difference.

Ron: Potential difference.

Ron: Potential voltage equals current times resistance.

Laura: You're talking too fast.

Laura: Voltage equals current distance.

Ron: Current times resistance.

Laura: Times resistance.

Ron: So, can you think of another way that we can represent power out of this?

Ron: I can physically see Cogs turning in Laura's face.

Laura: That right.

Laura: So there's a V on both sides and there's an I.

Laura: There it is.

Ron: There's a V in both equations.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: And it's on opposite sides on each equation.

Ron: Different equation.

Ron: So that's nothing.

Laura: Okay, then I shall stop investigating that route.

Ron: But no, hold onto this.

Laura: Let me just f****** think a second.

Laura: There's no power in the second one.

Ron: No.

Ron: Do you want some help?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So, like you say, we've got a V in both of them, right?

Laura: Yeah, but you told me to stop thinking about that.

Laura: You said that was nothing.

Ron: No, I said having a V on both sides is nothing.

Ron: But essentially, we have a different definition for voltage, don't we?

Ron: So we can sub out the V in the P equals IV equation for our other definition of voltage.

Laura: P equals I times I times R.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So P equals I squared times R-P-I.

Laura: Watch too much television.

Laura: Times are.

Ron: Nice.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: End of the episode.

Ron: Right, get out of your calculator, please.

Laura: Oh, I thought we were done.

Ron: There's so much left here.

Laura: C equals I squared times.

Ron: R europe.

Laura: And what does that tell us?

Ron: So, working out the power used by so, here's the question.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: We have a circuit that we're pairing with a nine volt battery.

Ron: There are two light bulbs in the circuit in series, each light bulb has a resistance of ten.

Ron: Ohms.

Ron: What is the power output of the circuit?

Ron: Can you talk us through your workings?

Laura: I'm just writing down exactly what you've said, except you said it real quick.

Laura: So I picked circuit.

Laura: Nine volt battery, two light bulb, series ten.

Laura: Ohms.

Laura: What's the power?

Ron: Each light bulb has resistance of ten.

Ron: Ohms.

Laura: So boring.

Laura: I can't believe you did this voluntarily.

Laura: Like after they stopped making you.

Laura: Did you never I didn't science.

Laura: You did.

Ron: Oh, right.

Ron: I thought you meant just like after school.

Ron: Doing some I mean, I guess I am now.

Laura: Yeah, me too.

Laura: Does that sound mad to you?

Ron: No, sounds fine.

Laura: My headphones made it sound mad.

Laura: What did I pick up my phone for?

Ron: To use it as a calculator.

Laura: A calculator?

Laura: That's very rarely on Twitter.

Laura: Is it?

Laura: Where is calculator?

Laura: In productivity folder.

Laura: There's some random stuff in that folder.

Laura: All right, got it.

Ron: Gone in.

Laura: Where do you think going, then?

Ron: Work out the power output of the circuit.

Laura: I don't know it work it out.

Laura: Wait, so P.

Laura: I'll give you a clue.

Ron: You'll need both formulas.

Laura: I thought we just condensed them into one.

Ron: We did, but we'll need both.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: So what are you missing that you need to work out to get P?

Laura: The current.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So how can we work out the current?

Laura: P divided by V.

Laura: Yeah, but we.

Ron: Don'T have P.

Ron: That's what we're trying to work out.

Laura: We can't know it, then we can.

Ron: Remember when I said we need to use both formulas?

Ron: Why don't we try the other one?

Laura: Oh, hang on.

Laura: V divided by R.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: Okay, then I got so excited.

Ron: So the light bulbs are in series.

Ron: What does that mean we do to the resistances to get the total resistance?

Laura: Torture them for information?

Laura: I will tell you nothing.

Ron: Jokes aren't enough here, Laura.

Laura: Oh, I love jokes.

Laura: You know what?

Laura: If nothing else, this podcast has really made me realise I made good choices with my life.

Laura: Becoming who I did.

Laura: God, my dog's annoying.

Ron: Yeah, your dog has not made good choices with his flight.

Laura: I might go and get her in because there's a poor man trying to work on his car.

Laura: I'll be right back.

Laura: You work with some out while I'm gone.

Ron: I already work this summer.

Laura: Okay, how do we get on?

Ron: So the light bulbs are in series.

Ron: What does that mean we do to calculate the resistance?

Laura: Ron, I just don't even think this is probably that difficult.

Laura: But I am so disinterested in it that I cannot focus.

Ron: I know.

Laura: Oranges are way more oranges.

Ron: Focus up.

Laura: Listen in.

Laura: So it's too hot to be wearing a turtleneck.

Ron: It's weird that you're wearing a turtleneck.

Ron: You look like there are no other clothes in the house.

Ron: We're going away this week, so we haven't done any washing for a few months.

Ron: Right, Laura?

Ron: What's the f****** resistance to the circuit?

Laura: I don't know, Ron.

Ron: Have a guess.

Ron: I guarantee it'll be the first thing you guess, because you need to learn this.

Ron: For some reason.

Laura: Whenever I write something for television and I write a script or a treatment or something and the producers always come out, you've got to make sure that the stakes are really like there people won't be invested unless they know the stakes.

Laura: And I'm just going to present them with this podcast and be like people really don't give a s*** how flimsy the stakes of a product are as long as the content is screaming.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Also, where have they gotten that from?

Ron: Something like taskmaster.

Ron: There are no stakes.

Ron: Like even something like part of the furniture at this point, like Qi.

Ron: They make up the points, but think.

Laura: I it's less true for an entertainment format and more true for scripted stuff.

Laura: But even within that, I think tastes are changing and there is actually quite an appetite for stakeless or lower stakes television.

Laura: Things like s***'s creek for this country.

Laura: Yeah, where the stakes were very low.

Laura: It's much more in vogue now.

Laura: Whereas there's a real point in time where everything had to be stakeful.

Ron: Yeah, because the world's on fire and we're all anxious.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Now tell me what the f****** resistance of the circuit is.

Laura: We'd be less anxious if you stopped screaming.

Ron: Well, just tell me.

Ron: Each light bulb has a resistance of ten.

Ron: Ohms.

Laura: So ten.

Ron: No.

Laura: You said it would be the first thing, I guess.

Ron: Oh, I thought you'd have tried.

Laura: Five.

Laura: No, no.

Ron: Try again.

Ron: Do it, do it.

Laura: 20.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: You add ten to ten.

Laura: Why?

Ron: Because they're in series.

Ron: Pardon?

Laura: What does that mean?

Ron: What does what mean?

Laura: Add them in series.

Ron: It means one after the other, they can either be in series or they're in parallel.

Ron: So Laura making notes from an episode that happened a month ago.

Ron: Right, so now you can work out the current, can't you?

Laura: You are getting too aggressive.

Laura: What is happening?

Laura: 20.

Laura: Ohms, that's too many for one Bloke.

Ron: Who am I?

Ron: David Cameron.

Laura: So now I just need to know what I squared is.

Ron: Work out what I is first.

Laura: How could I do that?

Ron: With the formula.

Ron: The formula you told it to.

Laura: So nine divided by 20.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: That'll be the current, won't it?

Laura: Using that tone actually do better then.

Laura: F*** you, dad.

Laura: Nine divided by 20, was that about 2.2?

Laura: No, no, point 45.

Laura: Okay, point 45.

Ron: Right.

Ron: So now we've got I.

Ron: So now we can work out P, can't we?

Laura: Oh, Jesus Christ, I can't remember what P was.

Ron: P for power.

Ron: P for power.

Laura: So the power equals 00:45 squared times 20.

Laura: I have a squared button, but squared is times itself, isn't it?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: So 2025 times 20.

Laura: So the power is 4.5.

Ron: Correct?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Well done.

Laura: Can you say that nicer?

Ron: I did.

Laura: That was nice of you.

Laura: When I don't get it, used that tone.

Laura: When I do get it, used that tone, everything I do, you're just like.

Laura: You absolute mangled piece of crap.

Laura: Well done.

Laura: Take your jumper off.

Laura: What's wrong with your dogs?

Laura: Put your oranges down.

Ron: Are you sure that's down to me and not maybe your attachment style?

Laura: No, I think the listeners will back me up on this.

Laura: The way you talking to me today is rude.

Ron: That was quite an earnest well done.

Laura: Well, then I feel sorry for girlfriend of the podcast, Judith, if that is how you congratulate.

Laura: Well done.

Laura: I love you, Judith.

Laura: Right, now we know the power.

Laura: What do we do with that?

Ron: We've just worked out why the f***.

Laura: Did we need to know that?

Ron: Because you need to know the power of things.

Laura: Why?

Ron: Because you might want to become an electrical engineer one day.

Laura: So what practical knowledge is that, then?

Ron: Well, if you wanted to become an.

Laura: Electrical engineer I don't.

Ron: All right, let's quit the podcast then.

Ron: It's f****** pointless.

Ron: What do you want?

Laura: I want to know why.

Laura: What does that tell us?

Laura: Is that like how bright the light?

Laura: Is?

Ron: It's how much energy it's using a second.

Laura: So that's how long the battery is going to last.

Ron: It's how much energy it's using a second.

Ron: The higher the wattage, the more energy it will use.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: The battery won't last this long.

Laura: So power equals energy per second.

Ron: Yes.

Laura: And how many watts in a volt?

Ron: Depends.

Laura: If we know that that's 4.5 watts how long the battery is going to last.

Ron: It doesn't translate like that.

Laura: Then I think it's garbage.

Laura: What's the point of knowing it?

Ron: Because the more watts it uses, the more energy it's using.

Laura: Yeah, but then if there's no convalescence between the watts and the batteries, then what does any of it you still can't tell anything.

Ron: Because it's not always batteries, is it?

Ron: It could be like power using at the wall, so it's going to decrease.

Ron: You might want to use something with a lower wattage so it doesn't use up your energy bill so much as I say.

Ron: Like you might want to become an engineer or a physicist or a mathematician or something, because this is for 14 year olds.

Ron: So then they'd learn this and they'd make life choices and stuff.

Laura: There's that tone again.

Laura: That tone was rude.

Ron: Don't pull this thread.

Ron: Don't pull this thread of why are we doing this?

Ron: Like, A, this was all my idea, and B, I wrote this syllabus.

Laura: What's your idea?

Laura: You wanted to do a podcast.

Laura: So did you.

Laura: Yeah, but you only have one interest and it's f****** dull.

Laura: Yeah, but this is just what we're.

Ron: Doing now, so don't ask me why we're doing it, because this is what we're doing.

Laura: I'm not asking why we're doing the podcast.

Laura: I'm not.

Laura: Listen to me.

Laura: I'm asking why we're finding out what the power is.

Ron: I've tried to explain no, you've just said no.

Ron: I think there's a dog outside here.

Ron: I don't listen to national treasures and go.

Ron: Who cares about Concord?

Ron: They don't even fly anymore.

Laura: I do.

Laura: That was so boring.

Laura: I felt like you for this book anyway, Ron.

Laura: I'm not having a go at you.

Laura: I'm having a go at physics.

Laura: Why did physics need to know about the power?

Ron: Well, the other thing is, apart from all the other stuff that I've said, is that, you know how just then we use the formula that we used a few weeks ago to help us work this out?

Ron: Being able to work out the power in this way, maybe we'll use it again down the road in something else that has maybe a more practical application.

Ron: But we've just stopped off.

Ron: We've just pulled into a little laybi to do a little scrum on our way to try and help it go into your head a little bit.

Ron: That's it.

Ron: Sometimes it's just maths for maths.

Laura: Because.

Ron: Like the other thing not to give too much of a peak behind the curtain with the physics.

Ron: Like, I'm trying so hard to turn this into content.

Laura: Thank you, Ron.

Ron: Trying to keep going, or are you sad?

Laura: I just know it won't go in my head because I think I get angry and then my brain gets a bit nonstick.

Ron: If it makes you feel better, it doesn't stick when you're not angry either.

Laura: It does.

Laura: The nephron.

Ron: That's the one.

Laura: Yeah, I've remembered that.

Ron: Right.

Ron: Let's keep going.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Transition metals.

Laura: Join a union.

Laura: I've remembered all of those things.

Ron: Join a union.

Ron: Downward turfs.

Ron: Right.

Ron: Shall we keep going?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: So can you tell me what the unit of power is?

Laura: Watts.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And what could Watts also be said as Watts?

Ron: Jules per second.

Ron: That's right, Laura.

Laura: Jules Watts sounds like an ascendous character.

Laura: I'm sure there was a Watts character.

Laura: I'm Jules Watts.

Laura: I'm Dirty Den's daughter.

Ron: I think EastEnder stopped before I was born.

Laura: This is still going.

Laura: You lose her.

Ron: So can you, from that, work out how from the power of something, we could work out how much energy was used?

Laura: No.

Ron: So what is joules per second?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So what would we need to know to work out how many joules in total were used?

Laura: Totally.

Laura: How long?

Ron: How many seconds it was running for because it's jewels per second.

Laura: It's running for because it's Jules per second.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So another way that we could put that is that E?

Laura: Why?

Laura: What Eg?

Ron: I'm pausing.

Ron: So you can write this down.

Laura: E equals energy.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And E equals P for power times T for time.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: So we also know that P is equal to VI, right?

Laura: Oh, God.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So we can sub that into the equation that we've just had currently.

Ron: So we can have E equals V-I-T.

Ron: So that's voltage times the current times the time.

Laura: A little T or a big T.

Ron: Little T for time.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: E equals vitamins.

Ron: Vitamin E equals E.

Ron: Exactly.

Ron: Right.

Ron: I am going somewhere with this, I promise.

Ron: We also know that current I'm going.

Laura: To come with you.

Laura: You have a nice time.

Ron: We also know that current is equal to the charge that has flowed well, or the flow of charge over over time.

Ron: Right?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Charge over time.

Laura: Yeah, charge over time.

Laura: If you're lost, you can look and I will charge in.

Laura: Right?

Ron: Charge over time.

Ron: Anyway, so let's subcharge four oranges.

Ron: So let's sub that.

Ron: So we do a capital Q for charge.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Why?

Laura: Just the way it's doing that.

Laura: Nobody wants to use C for any C words.

Ron: C is the speed of light, which is very important.

Laura: What are you talking about?

Laura: Charge.

Laura: Oh, God.

Laura: I think this is the worst episode yet.

Ron: So current is equal to charge over time.

Ron: Current is equal to charge over time.

Laura: Have we got a letter for charge?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: It was Q we just spoke about that.

Ron: Jesus Christ.

Laura: Okay, that's a mistake I've made is I've written down Q for current Qurrent.

Laura: So I equals Q over t.

Laura: Little t.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I do equal question time.

Ron: If we sub in that into the V, it equals e equation.

Ron: What do we end up with?

Laura: E equals V times Q over T times t.

Laura: So the T's cancel each other out.

Laura: So maybe VQ equals VQ.

Laura: Exactly.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: I'm the smartest girl in the whole wide world.

Ron: So what we've learned from that is that hang on a second.

Laura: Look at me.

Laura: I'm a Venus.

Laura: Ron.

Laura: I'm in my tattle neck.

Ron: Hold on.

Ron: Laura.

Ron: Right, so so, yes.

Ron: So what that means is that the energy used in a circuit is just equal to the amount of charge that flowed through it, multiplied by the potential difference between the start and the finish.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: It's just a little bit of active listening so we can move on.

Laura: I don't know what you're talking about.

Ron: Yeah, okay, so then say that, because then I can help.

Laura: All right.

Laura: Ron.

Laura: What?

Laura: What did you say?

Laura: E is for energy.

Ron: E is for energy.

Laura: V is for volt.

Ron: Charge flow.

Laura: Flow.

Laura: What's?

Laura: Charge flow.

Ron: So remember that the charge flow no, voltage is the potential difference.

Ron: Current is the flow of charge over time.

Laura: Well, the energy can't be the volts and the charge, they're the same thing.

Ron: No, they're not.

Laura: It feels like they should be because the volts is the slide.

Laura: Which was how fast the electrons are moving.

Ron: Well, no, because if you actually listen back to the episode, every time that you talked about the slide being the speed, I said no.

Ron: Can we think about it a different way?

Ron: And you said no.

Laura: What did you tell me to think about?

Ron: It like it was about the height of it.

Ron: It's not about the speed.

Ron: It's about the height.

Ron: So it's like the equivalent of potential gravitational potential energy when they're at the top of a slide.

Ron: And then as you slide down, you lose energy.

Ron: Potential difference is the same, except it's like electrical energy.

Laura: Right.

Ron: So if you know that, that should make a lot of sense that the higher the potential difference, the more energy is going to get used.

Ron: And the more charge therefore, the more electrons that are going down that slide, the more energy is going to get used.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: That makes sense.

Ron: Indicator on.

Ron: Laura, we're pulling into another laybi here.

Ron: I plug in an 800 watt kettle for five minutes.

Ron: How much charge flowed through in do.

Laura: I have to work that out with all these letters?

Ron: Yep, go on.

Laura: What did you say?

Ron: I plugged in 800 watt kettle for five minutes.

Ron: How much charge flowed through it?

Laura: How much charge?

Laura: Roughly £4000 in today's economy.

Ron: We're well past jokes.

Ron: Do the maths.

Laura: Your eyes twitching.

Laura: Right?

Laura: What was watts.

Laura: What?

Laura: Power.

Laura: Power is watts is joules per second.

Laura: Is watts.

Laura: So you turn a watt into a joules per second, that's 300 seconds.

Laura: So 800 times 300.

Ron: So that would give us how much energy has been used, won't it?

Ron: Because e equals PT.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: And what are we looking at?

Ron: We're trying to work out how much charge has flowed in that time, and.

Laura: Charges is Q, but I don't know the voltage.

Laura: Where energy is volt times Q.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Q stands for charge, doesn't it?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: To find out Q, then I have to divide the energy by the voltage.

Laura: But I don't know the voltage.

Ron: It's always the same in the UK, isn't it?

Laura: You didn't say we were in the UK.

Ron: It's a British podcast.

Laura: So that's 230 volts.

Laura: So 800 times 324, 240,000.

Laura: Divide that by 230 equals 1043.47,826 watts.

Ron: That's what I got as well.

Ron: Yes, you said, not what.

Laura: I'm the king of the swingers.

Ron: All there we go.

Ron: Indicator.

Ron: Back on, back out.

Ron: The lay by.

Laura: Bad bullshit.

Laura: Are we done?

Laura: Is that it?

Laura: Are we finished?

Ron: No, there's a little bit more.

Ron: No more maths, though.

Ron: That was all the math that we're going to do.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Because now we're going to change we're moving away from power transfers in general and we are going to just talk briefly about the National Grid.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: I listen to a podcast about some American national Grids the other day.

Ron: It's interesting in America, it's less interesting here.

Ron: Electricity does not travel across the country in the exact form of which it comes out the plug, right.

Laura: No, it's incognito.

Laura: Just in case of robbers.

Laura: Are you wearing eyeliner?

Ron: No, I just have very lovely eyelashes.

Laura: Eyeliner doesn't affect your eyelashes.

Laura: That's my sky, darling.

Ron: Oh, then no, I'm just very tired.

Laura: Harold flininess about you today.

Ron: Who's that?

Laura: God, you're so young.

Ron: Compared to you.

Ron: Right, so electricity does not travel across the country in the form that comes out of the plug.

Ron: It travels across the country at a huge voltage, which is why things like Pylons are so dangerous.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So famously, in the UK, it comes out of the plug at 230 volts, right?

Laura: Yes, it does.

Ron: Energy is produced at 25,000 volts.

Laura: Bloody h***, Harry.

Ron: To get transferred across, like do you know what a Transformer is?

Laura: Yes.

Laura: Optimus prime.

Ron: Hang on, I want to read this.

Ron: How?

Ron: I've written in my notes.

Ron: The National Grid uses Transformers.

Ron: Do you joke again?

Laura: Optimus prime.

Ron: To change the voltage.

Laura: A step up with Julia Styles transformer.

Ron: Increases the voltage and a step down transformer decreases it.

Ron: I've written in my notes to leave pauses for you to, A, make jokes about Transformers and B, make jokes about Step Up Transformers, which are presumably some kind of dance movie.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Jennifer Lopez could voice one of the Transformers.

Ron: It would be better than the Michael Bay Transformers movies.

Laura: That's also not my dog, just for the record.

Ron: It will be okay.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So we use a Step Up Transformer to increase the voltage so it comes out at 25,000 volts out of the energy factory, and then they transform it up to 400,000 volts.

Laura: Wow.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So the reason for this is because they want a really low current when sort of feeding it through Pylons and wires and that sort of stuff.

Ron: Right.

Laura: So they want a big potential difference, a really high slide, so that they can have hardly any electrons moving.

Ron: Yeah, because remember, we had E equals Q V, so the higher the voltage, the more energy that can transmit.

Ron: With Q, the flow of electrons being less.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: And the reason for this is that with the lower the current, the less energy loss there is, because a high current heats up the wires, increases resistance, and also you lose a lot of energy via that heat.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: Yeah, that's it.

Ron: There's a bit in the syllabus that says higher tier only, but we're not higher tier, so yeah, no, we're going to skip that.

Laura: Bottom set, isn't it?

Ron: Yeah, it's bottom set, but that's it.

Ron: That's the lesson.

Laura: Sorry I got so mad at you in the middle of it, Ron, but I was really angry and sad, bored.

Ron: That's okay.

Ron: It's also ended on such a whimper.

Laura: But actually, I think we're in a good place because I think I understand what voltage is now.

Ron: Good.

Laura: So great for us.

Ron: Let's not force it.

Ron: Let's just do the quiz next week.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: All right.

Laura: Bye, Ron.

Ron: Bye, Laura.

Ron: It's been a while.

Laura: It's been a while.

Ron: You remember what we were doing last time?

Laura: Well, I really thought we did the quiz before I went on holiday.

Ron: No.

Ron: Don't know where you're getting that from.

Ron: Really?

Laura: Because I thought we did that so that it wouldn't be a million weeks.

Laura: So no, hang on.

Laura: Let me work out from numbers, though.

Laura: So it must be biology.

Laura: G?

Ron: Nope.

Laura: Chemistry.

Laura: Really?

Laura: Yes, but it's episode 22 and each one is in threes.

Ron: Yes, but you're forgetting the Halloween episode.

Laura: Halloween.

Laura: So it's physics.

Ron: It is physics.

Laura: Got it.

Laura: Right first time.

Laura: Oh, Jesus.

Laura: No, absolutely no memory at all.

Laura: I have to assume it was garbage.

Laura: What have we got here?

Laura: Oh, no, the notes don't fill me with joy.

Laura: The notes are all letters on lines and stuff.

Laura: I've just written down Quorns on one page.

Ron: Good.

Ron: Do you want to dive in?

Laura: Yeah, we might as well.

Laura: I do not hold out much hope for this.

Laura: God, how am I going to do this when I have to do the whole exam?

Laura: And it was like years ago, and.

Ron: You don't get a notebook in the exam.

Laura: I f****** do.

Ron: Okay, question one.

Ron: For one.

Ron: Mark.

Ron: I plug in a 1200 watt Pinnacle machine.

Ron: It has a resistance of three.

Ron: Ohms.

Ron: What current would flow through it?

Laura: Three.

Ron: Don't you see things?

Laura: I did 200 and 237.

Ron: Why?

Laura: Because 227.

Ron: Why?

Laura: Because the current is 230 volts and it had a resistance of three.

Laura: So it's stopping three of them.

Ron: I didn't give you the voltage.

Ron: You can't assume that.

Laura: You said that's what electricity always was.

Ron: Yeah, but I'm not saying I haven't said that.

Ron: I plugged it in in the UK.

Laura: So what's the question?

Ron: I plug in a 1200 watt pinball machine.

Ron: It has a resistance of three ohms.

Ron: What current would flow through it?

Laura: 1200 watts?

Laura: Three.

Laura: Ohms.

Laura: Oh, f****** h***.

Laura: Wait, is the watts the current?

Ron: No.

Laura: Is the watts the power?

Ron: Yes.

Laura: Okay, so power what am I trying.

Ron: To work out what current would say?

Laura: Amps what current?

Laura: Okay, I haven't got anything.

Laura: Oh, wait, okay.

Laura: I equals Q over T, I is current, yeah?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: V over R equals I.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Also true.

Laura: I don't know the voltage, though.

Ron: We went through a formula that gives you power to current last time.

Laura: Power equals current times volt.

Ron: Yes, but what does voltage equal?

Laura: Voltage equals current times resistance.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So we can substitute that voltage for that, can't we?

Laura: Voltage divided by resistance equals current.

Ron: Yes, but we just want voltage at the moment, don't we?

Ron: So we wanted to swap out that voltage for another times my because I'm.

Laura: Just picturing myself in a GCSE now, and the invigilator is just squatting down by my table, having this conversation with me as I cry.

Laura: This isn't a quiz, this is a lesson again.

Ron: Okay, yeah.

Ron: You don't know.

Ron: Let's just say that.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So V equals IR and P equals IV.

Ron: So what we can say is P equals I times IR.

Ron: So P equals I squared R.

Ron: I've.

Laura: Got that written down then.

Ron: Why didn't you say that?

Laura: That's what that means.

Ron: So what you can do, you can.

Laura: I don't have a current.

Ron: No, we're working the current out, aren't we?

Ron: Yeah, we've got P and R.

Ron: So we're going to divide 1200 by three.

Ron: We get 400 square 420.

Laura: Whoa.

Ron: No, you're not getting this.

Laura: No, but slow it the devil down that would be a good pop song, wouldn't it?

Laura: Slow it the devil down slow your devil feet down no, it wouldn't.

Laura: Shouldn't I know something oh, boy.

Laura: You got to slow your devil feet down dancing on my heart you're gonna break it.

Laura: Take your shoes off before you dance on my heart really?

Ron: Given the vibes of someone that's only ever sung in primary school assemblies there.

Ron: So we have p is 1200 watts.

Laura: We've done this question now.

Laura: I didn't get it.

Ron: Yeah, you told me to f*** you.

Laura: They say F*** you two.

Ron: What's a transformer.

Laura: Probably did the Optimus Prime joke in the episode, so I bypassed that transformation.

Laura: What's?

Laura: The transform.

Ron: Yeah, that's the question.

Laura: Um god, this is when I get really angry that the word Transformer doesn't appear anywhere on my piece of paper.

Laura: I think it just seems as long as you lie about what?

Laura: We talked about a transformer.

Ron: No, we definitely talked about transformation.

Ron: No, that is fine.

Laura: Bearing in mind don't just say stuff.

Laura: A Transformer would be the opposite of a resistor.

Ron: No going down to half a mark available.

Laura: What's better between doing this and this, I think it's pushed out all of the ideas.

Ron: Godfather is delicious.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: I've done vegetarian, by the way.

Laura: How come?

Ron: Just shouldn't be meat in that.

Laura: Yeah, gloves on fire.

Laura: Join a union.

Ron: Join a union.

Ron: Support people.

Laura: Throw support people in.

Ron: Just be nice in that.

Laura: Catchphrase.

Ron: Catchphrase.

Ron: What if I reminded you, you get step up and step down transformers.

Ron: And, yes, you did make the dance movie joke in the episode.

Laura: Well, that's what I was saying.

Laura: They're the opposite of a resistor because they change the power into more or less power.

Ron: They change the voltage.

Ron: Yeah, not the same thing.

Ron: Question number three.

Ron: Why does the National Grid use a high voltage to transfer its energy over long distances?

Laura: Less friction.

Ron: Do you want to have another stab?

Ron: Because you're not far off?

Laura: Less heat.

Ron: Friction is not really a thing involved.

Ron: Isn't it?

Laura: It is because the electrons are jostling.

Ron: Well, you know how like yeah, but we have a word for that.

Ron: You've said it multiple times.

Laura: Jostling.

Ron: No, sort of like the friction from electrons charged.

Ron: No, what do we call that?

Ron: Like how hard it is for them to get through the wire.

Laura: Friction.

Laura: What?

Ron: No.

Ron: Resistance.

Laura: Resistance.

Laura: Less resistance.

Ron: Jesus.

Laura: Less resistance.

Ron: You're not getting this right.

Laura: What do you want me to say?

Laura: It a different way.

Ron: Higher the voltage means that you don't have to have a high current, and then because there's not a high current, it's more lossless.

Laura: Honestly, I think I hate electricity more than I hate down.

Ron: That's fine.

Ron: You didn't get that one.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: One more question.

Ron: How did the discovery of Schiceberg's Principle affect the way that we use energy in white goods and vehicles?

Laura: This is a trick question.

Laura: Scheistberg isn't a person is a tricker.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: I don't remember the name.

Laura: Like, Scheistberg.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I mean s*** mountain.

Laura: Yeah, like an iceberg, but S***.

Ron: Yeah, that's the quiz.

Ron: You can have a mark for clocking the tricko.

Laura: Of course I can f****** have a mark.

Ron: Yeah, I just said.

Laura: Yeah, I just said, too.

Laura: You said it's magnanimously.

Laura: Because you were like, yeah, you can have a mark.

Laura: No, I earned a mark.

Ron: Take the mark away, then, if you're.

Laura: Going to be like that, take it away.

Laura: I got it, right?

Ron: I can take marks away.

Laura: Not for things I got right.

Ron: Yeah, you can for tricker.

Laura: No, there needs to be no, because I respond well to praise.

Laura: So if I don't even know if there are marks available for the questions, I'm not going to respond well.

Ron: Right?

Ron: Like I say, I deign you to have a mark for it.

Laura: Get yourself absolutely f*****.

Laura: Right.

Laura: Ron, I've got bone to pick with you about that episode.

Laura: You were an absolute b****** in that episode, because in the main bulk of the episode, I said, I don't know what the voltage is.

Laura: And you said, oh, it's always 230, and I said, I didn't know we were in Britain.

Laura: And you said, oh, wow, it's a British podcast, blah, blah, blah.

Laura: And then in the quiz, when I assumed it was 230 you can't just assume you're in Britain.

Laura: Yeah, it's not fair.

Ron: But when something's plugged into the wall or when it's like on a battery, it's a different voltage.

Laura: Yeah, I just think you were a little bit mean there.

Ron: Well, yeah, but also I said, it's 230 when you're in the UK, and then you said, Right, so I'm just going to write down 230 instead of remembering what vaults is.

Laura: Yeah, well, listen, unimpressed.

Laura: So there you go.

Laura: I hope you had a good time.

Laura: Listeners, listen, we want your input on something.

Laura: We are going to be making some shorter little bonus episodes of Lexx education, probably for release in 2023.

Laura: We've got two types that we're working on, two little format ideas.

Laura: We've got Ron, what's the first one?

Ron: Detention.

Laura: Detention with Ron.

Ron: Oh, friend of the podcast, Noah, did point out that patriotron is what we called patreon.

Laura: Patreon.

Laura: We could just say, if you want to become a patron.

Laura: So we got detention with Ron.

Laura: That will be a little extra, where I have to do independent study and then bring my research back to Ron.

Laura: So far, we've recorded what is glass.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So basically, whenever Laura says something preposterous, we will recover it.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: And then pop quiz, where Ron can retest me on anything that has already come up and I have to do a pop quiz without my notebook.

Laura: So those are two little format ideas that we've come up with.

Laura: Have you got any format ideas you might like to hear?

Laura: They will only ever be like little ten to 15 minutes episodes.

Laura: We're already thinking about some substitute teacher episodes, trying to get some guests on board, but what do you like the sound of?

Laura: What would you want to hear in a little ten to 15 minutes?

Laura: Erm, let us know.

Laura: Throw some ideas in the mix and we'll see if we can fit them in with any of our planning.

Laura: You can obviously get in touch with us on socials, or if you've got a longer idea, you can email us, Lexxeducation@gmail.com, and we'll see you next week.

Ron: Yeah, and we're kind of social media adult attention deficit people, so if it's just a one off idea, we'll probably be fine with doing that too, doesn't it?

Ron: Something that's going to go on forever.

Laura: Yeah, we'll give it a go.

Laura: We're just trying to think of what we can do for extra content for if and when we decide to try and make some money off this venture.

Laura: But, yeah, all right, listen, you're so loved and I hope you know that, and it's by us and other people, probably.

Laura: But I can only speak for us, me and me love you.

Ron: There probably are the people in your lives that love you too.

Laura: They should be.

Laura: It's just us.

Laura: We've got you more than enough love to go round.

Laura: But we're certainly not wasting it on each other.

Laura: Based on this episode.

Ron: Plus dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment