Lexx Education - Episode Index

Episode 1 - Biology - A Lego Brick Full of Meccano                          Introduction to cells. Episode 2 - Chemistry - Bob Marley and th...

Tuesday 6 December 2022

McDeath 2: Fupa and Roy

 Laura: Hello and welcome to another episode of Lexx Education, the comedy science podcast, where comedian ,e Laura Lexx tries to learn science from her just a guy, Just a guy, man. Just a guy Brother Ron.

Ron: Hello, I'm Ron.

Laura: Hello, Ron.

Ron: How's it going?

Laura: Hey. It is going in, isn't it? Life is happening.

Ron: It is going.

Ron: What's new with you? I feel like we haven't spoken in ages.

Laura: No, you don't talk to me anymore unless we do a podcast. Nobody knows the sorrow I feel. What's new with me? We started playing a new video game last night.

Ron: Ooh Details.

Laura: Yeah. So you know how much I love Overcooked and then I loved Unrailed completed them. So we were looking for more games of that kind of and we found one last night called I think it's called Potion Power or something. And you work in an alchemist shop and you have to make potions and serve them to people.

Ron: And if you've got it, that means we've got it. Excellent.

Laura: That is how stealing tech content works.

Ron: Hey, it's a twoway street, though. Did you ever play Cult of the Lamb?

Laura: No.

Ron: Oh, you should play that. You guys would like it.

Laura: Oh, okay.

Ron: I think Tom more than you. I think you would like to play it the first time.

Ron: Tom will finish it, right?

Laura: Yeah. Is there any jumping? I've realised the thing that mostly puts me off games is when I have to jump.

Ron: No, you have to dash around and slash at things. But it's also a bit like Animal Crossing, though, because you have a little cult that you have to maintain.

Laura: Okay. I love Animal Crossing.

Ron: Yeah. Like, the way that me and Juliet did it is I did the fighting and she did the culting.

Laura: Yes. All right. Okay. I'll look into that.

Ron: We've been playing Sims because Sims is free on PlayStation at the moment.

Laura: I love Sims.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I've got a couple conservative white Americans.

Laura: I have to be so careful about when I download Sims because it is all I'll do for like, three weeks straight.

Laura: I'll just be a little SIM coma and then I'll cut.

Laura: And then Sims is one of those things that when you then stop playing it, you can't for the life if you remember what was fun about it.

Laura: Do you feel like that?

Ron: I guess because when I'm not playing it, I have no desire to play it.

Laura: And then you get in a simhole.

Laura: What a game?

Ron: Bobby with a Y.

Ron: Bobby with an I and Bobby with an eye just wants to be friends with Bella Goth.

Ron: Bobby with a Y is working hard every day.

Ron: He's going to be a businessman and he makes fastels for his man cave.

Laura: Bella Goth, is she still wearing that red dress with the two dark tights with it?

Ron: She is, yeah.

Laura: Bella, what a legend.

Laura: So that's video games.

Laura: We should also mention films, because, Ron, we were on a film podcast.

Ron: We did our first guest spot.

Laura: You did your first guest spot?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: We, as a podcast, did our first guest spot.

Laura: That's true.

Laura: Yeah, we did.

Laura: We were on films in that podcast.

Laura: So if you're looking to add another podcast to your gaggle, I don't know what's a plural collection?

Ron: A pod.

Laura: A pod of podcasts.

Laura: Then try out the films in that podcast and you could do us with then, starting with our episode, which is this week, we are discussing Ron.

Laura: What film?

Ron: Step brothers.

Laura: The best film.

Laura: My second favourite film.

Laura: After a while, you were sleeping.

Laura: But Ron probably doesn't love that one anywhere near as much as I do, so we had to choose the one we loved the most together.

Ron: Yeah, I think it would have been weird if we'd done while you were sleeping.

Laura: We're a creepy brother.

Laura: Sister.

Laura: Jimo, let us tell you about our weird love of this.

Ron: Just let Laura tell you about it from that.

Ron: Ron probably watched once, maybe like twelve years ago.

Laura: Ron, we can watch it when I come and stay in February.

Ron: Sure.

Laura: That was the sound of Ron A not wanting to b, having forgotten he's putting me up for two weeks in February.

Laura: Thanks for that noise.

Ron: He never confirmed that to us.

Laura: F****** did.

Ron: What dates is that?

Laura: Well, I'm not telling the listener because then they'll know my house will be empty.

Laura: But it's in February.

Ron: Okay, what sent me these dates?

Ron: I thought this was all up in the air.

Laura: No, I told you this was happening.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Dreadful little boy.

Laura: Horrible science child.

Laura: Listen, thank you for all your loveliness on The Socials this week.

Laura: Kevin made me properly laugh out loud.

Laura: They tweeted, I broke my do.

Laura: Not under any circumstances listen to education at night, listen to It in the morning rule.

Laura: Nothing says relax and unwind before falling asleep.

Laura: Like siblings yelling at each other as I try to mentally balance equations.

Laura: I love the idea that we're like a cup of coffee.

Laura: Like, oh, it's after 04:00 P.m now.

Laura: I don't know if I'm wound down again from listening to it.

Ron: Yeah, I mean, good on him for resisting most weeks.

Ron: I don't think I'd be able to with content like this.

Laura: It's hot.

Laura: You have had a lot of love on The Socials this week.

Laura: Neil was nominating you to be put up for a saint.

Laura: And then JD, talking on Twitter also said they're a little bit behind, they're not up to date, but they were like, you deserve a Nobel Prize for dealing with this.

Laura: I don't know how this is for my self esteem, but I get a lot of love, too.

Laura: And there was a lot of praise for my genius last week.

Ron: Yeah, I think it balances out because I also get a lot of ron stopped being a d***.

Ron: And also, Ron, you were wrong about this thing that's well out of your area.

Ron: Of expertise, so I think you can.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Anyway, so thank you all very much for your joyous reviews and thank you.

Laura: Lulu on Instagram said that we brighten up her Mondays and she spends a lot of time in the car on a Monday, and so it's nice that we release on a Monday.

Laura: And I was going to say, if you are listening, and I listen to a lot of podcasts in the car and I hear people say, oh, please leave us a review, and I think, oh, I should do that.

Laura: I love this podcast, but I'm driving at the time and then I never get round to it.

Laura: Please leave yourself a note somewhere to get round to it, because we don't have a team behind us.

Laura: We don't have any budget or fanciness, so the reviews that we get really are the only way people know to give us a chance.

Laura: And, like, you know, you'll know, there's some enormous podcasts out there, so competing with them for listenership is difficult to do.

Laura: But you guys make all the difference.

Ron: We love you.

Laura: Ron.

Laura: That's a horrible thing you've ever done.

Laura: I love you.

Laura: Anyway, sorry about Ron.

Laura: Enjoy the episode.

Laura: It's probably our first sequel episode today.

Laura: Seize the return of a shape, a name, a letter, a concept that we hoped was dead in the dust behind us.

Laura: But it's back, so enjoy.

Laura: Listen, any teachers listening will understand.

Laura: Friday nights are not great for focus.

Laura: And it's Friday.

Laura: Very tired.

Laura: Feel sick, don't want to learn.

Ron: Well, thank God it's Physics Week.

Ron: Everyone's favourite subject.

Ron: Yeah, I've made a couple of sparse attempts to make this fun, but you ready to dive in?

Ron: What do you think we're going to be covering today?

Laura: Oh, I hope it's not electricity anymore.

Laura: I can't even pretend to care about that for a second longer.

Laura: Honestly, I hope the whole point of having electricity instead of mangles and stuff is just to make life easier so you can go and get on with your life.

Laura: So then if you're wasting children's time teaching them about how the electricity, they might as well just be using a f****** mangle.

Ron: Can you hear my laptop?

Laura: Yeah, it sounds like it's going to fly away.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I don't know what's going on.

Laura: I'm not even doing maybe your laptop just gets stressed out about this.

Laura: Yeah, maybe your laptop just feels you and it's like, I'm here, buddy.

Laura: I'm stressed too.

Laura: Like sympathy pains with pregnancy.

Ron: I'll let some cold air in.

Ron: Maybe that'll help.

Ron: Well, I have stunning moves for you, the listener bunts and the lab rats.

Ron: Everyone, we're out of the electricity woods, thank God.

Laura: And this is a ueddit one, so you won't put it in, but know that if I was editing this one, I'd put in that music.

Ron: I did that in an episode once.

Laura: You don't put in enough sound effects.

Laura: Hey, listen, just let us know whose episodes do you prefer sound effects or no sound effects?

Ron: I'm editing episode 19 at the moment, and I've put in not one sound effect.

Laura: I love the sound effect.

Ron: I like to fall asleep to podcasts, but I don't want the sound effects.

Ron: I don't fall asleep to our podcast.

Laura: No one's falling asleep to this.

Laura: Surely not.

Laura: You might as well eat a wheel of bree before you drink.

Ron: Oh, I can sleep to any podcast.

Ron: I've been sleeping at the moment.

Ron: To Papi's flat share slam down.

Laura: Wow, that's high optimane.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Hey, Ben from Pappy's is directing my new stand up show.

Ron: Oh, really?

Ron: Ben from Pappy's did the best tweet I've ever seen.

Laura: Yeah?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I'm not sure you'd get it there.

Laura: F***, either.

Ron: Are you a big talking Heads fan?

Laura: Huge.

Ron: All right, well, there's a picture of one of those toilet cleaning rotors, and they have to initial it, and their initials were FA.

Ron: And then you put your toilet cleaner.

Ron: It was great.

Ron: It was the best tweet I've ever seen.

Laura: You're right.

Laura: Don't get it.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: All right, well, there you go.

Ron: I met Tom from Pappy's once.

Laura: Oh, Tom Perry.

Laura: He's a lovely man.

Laura: Have you listened to my episode of Papi's yet?

Ron: Yes, it was very funny.

Ron: You tried to out Tom Allen?

Ron: Tom Allen.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: No one can out Allen.

Laura: Tom Allen.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Everyone listen to puppies.

Ron: Landon.

Ron: That's a good podcast.

Laura: It is.

Laura: They don't need our listeners migrating over there, though.

Laura: We need theirs there.

Laura: Anyway, we can love them so much, we Schlurp theirs over here.

Ron: You could go on it again, probably.

Laura: Yeah, that's a plan.

Laura: It depends, really, how much Ben likes directing my show, which, based on how this podcast has gone, it's not going to be great, is it?

Ron: Right.

Ron: Physics, then.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Okay, so we're back to talking about energy.

Laura: Good times.

Laura: Energy.

Ron: So we are going to be talking about the particle model of matter.

Ron: Now, we talked a little bit about this before when we were talking about different states of matter.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Yes, Leah.

Ron: So can you remember in a nutshell what the particle model is?

Laura: My dog's just died barking.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: S*** dog.

Ron: Mackie took out my headphones.

Ron: Didn't mute herself.

Ron: She's muted herself.

Ron: Now she is showing it.

Laura: F*** off, Ron.

Ron: Nothing else is happening.

Laura: Yeah, we could just edit it out if you actually ever did any editing.

Ron: No, less editing, the better.

Ron: People want to see in between the rear.

Laura: I don't think they do.

Laura: I think they want it to be slick.

Laura: This is why your episode is, like, ten minutes longer than mine.

Ron: They'd be listening to a different podcast if they wanted it to be slick.

Laura: Well, anyway.

Laura: Mackie Sparking I don't know why?

Laura: What's the question?

Ron: In a nutshell, what's the particle model of matter?

Laura: Just once, just once, I want you to ask something and I know.

Laura: Particle model of matter.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Remember when we were talking about, like, how solids become gases and gases become liquids and that sort of thing.

Ron: We talked about this.

Laura: That was in chemistry though, not physics.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Almost like they're related, isn't it?

Laura: They're not in my head at all.

Laura: Oh yeah, that's all about little Juddering guys.

Ron: Juddering guys?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: It's that.

Ron: Brian breathed in some water.

Ron: Good, we'll edit that out.

Ron: That was a bit too visceral.

Ron: So the particle model is basically a lot like a closed system or a frictionless surface.

Ron: These things that we've talked about before, they are sort of theoretical scenarios.

Laura: God.

Laura: You know when you go for a run and your brain is just screaming stop, stop.

Laura: That is how I feel now.

Ron: That's actually quite hurtful.

Laura: Like I don't physically have the energy to play along.

Laura: Oh no.

Laura: This is going to go so badly.

Ron: I was worried I didn't do enough research.

Ron: Now I think I did.

Laura: You did?

Ron: So it's a theoretical sort of scenario or theoretical world that we imagine.

Ron: It's a simplification of how things actually work to help us understand the world and predict the way that complex things might happen.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Because obviously if you take like air for example, air is a gas.

Laura: Nitrogen.

Ron: Yeah, it's mainly nitrogen.

Ron: But then we'll have argon in there, we'll have oxygen, we'll have some water vapour, some CO2, maybe some other things as well.

Ron: All of these things, most of these things are molecules, so they're not actually like one point and therefore they are going to be a bit more complex.

Ron: Then we just imagine them all to be nice little particles and then it simplifies things.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: There are four principles of the particle model.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Matter is made of tiny particles.

Ron: There is empty space between the particles.

Ron: The particles are in constant motion and there are forces that act between the particles.

Laura: Matter, motion, space forces.

Ron: Yep.

Ron: That's one word from each.

Laura: That's what you just explained to me.

Laura: That's what air is made of.

Laura: Matter, tiny particles, they're always moving.

Laura: There's space in between and it's force is acting on them.

Ron: Perfect.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Before we get into the interesting stuff, it just wants us to know how to calculate the density of things.

Ron: Do you know how to do that?

Laura: Run into it headlong and see how much it hurts or no.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: You buy stuff at it and see what gets through.

Laura: Like the gold paper.

Laura: Oh my God.

Laura: You remember back in the day when we were just talking about that gold foil?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Now we do formulas in that.

Laura: I miss those days.

Ron: So speaking of formulas, density is this week.

Laura: I've really hurt my finger.

Laura: Ow.

Laura: My finger swollen.

Laura: Grace really weird when you fall over as an adult, it's very undignified.

Laura: I was wearing Tom's flipflops in the garden and I tripped over a bench and then I got really struggled with Tom.

Laura: She's like, oh, God.

Laura: Are you all right?

Laura: What happened?

Laura: And there's no answer.

Laura: I just fell over.

Laura: All right, and then you feel like an absolute ball back.

Laura: What did you fall over?

Laura: Oh, like this massive bench.

Laura: So just f*** off, okay?

Ron: At least you're still at the age where you've fallen over.

Laura: You haven't yeah, I'm really feeling my age at the moment.

Laura: Something about turning 36.

Laura: Do you know what I think it is?

Laura: You know in that Eminem song where.

Ron: It turns out you're officially in your late 30s?

Laura: No, I'm in my mid 30s, thank you.

Laura: 38 will be late.

Laura: Thirty s thirty eight.

Laura: But you know, when Eminem tells Moby that he's too old, he's too old.

Laura: Let go.

Laura: He's 36.

Ron: But nobody listens to techno.

Laura: Yeah, you're 36 year old.

Laura: I'm as old as moby.

Laura: And I remember listening that song thinking, yeah, by 36 you probably should stop trying to be relevant and go away.

Ron: Yes, but you're not a techno DJ.

Laura: No, I would make a good one, though.

Laura: What is Techno?

Ron: It's a type of electronic music.

Laura: Do you ever listen to 99% Invisible?

Ron: No.

Ron: It's happening.

Laura: Did you hear that?

Laura: There's a sea girl having a go at my roof.

Laura: I just listened to an episode that you would absolutely love, where they look at the history of reggae and scar and the sound system in Jamaica.

Ron: Oh, yeah.

Laura: I mean, you'd love 99% Invisible anyway, it's the best podcast except this one, but cheque it out.

Laura: That episode in particular, you'd enjoy.

Ron: Yeah, I think reggae was an interesting movement.

Ron: I'd like to know more about it.

Ron: Maybe I will listen to 99% invisible.

Laura: Do you want me to tell you about reggae now?

Ron: No, let's do our podcast.

Ron: So density is represented by theirs is.

Laura: Better, though, because it's about reggae, whereas ours is about density.

Laura: So what the f*** is this?

Laura: Burn up too?

Ron: Jeez.

Laura: Get away.

Laura: Actually oh, s***.

Laura: I think it was a rook.

Laura: Loads of rooks around here.

Ron: You know that you're not killing time with that.

Laura: I think we should have a limit on how long we can record for.

Laura: So it's not about getting through the material, it's just about doing the time.

Ron: Well, that is kind of what we do.

Ron: But also, that's not going to help because we can't just keep you rustling your elbows against things, scaring away a bird.

Laura: It was really loud.

Laura: Could you not hear it?

Ron: Oh, I heard it immensely, but it's just not content.

Ron: Now, let me get back to this content.

Laura: Tell me about Dense some more.

Ron: You know, I kept on sending you that weird little pee.

Laura: Yeah, you've been sending me a funny little p on WhatsApp, all day?

Ron: Well, that's figure a no, it's a.

Laura: P.

Laura: Oh, my God.

Laura: When will they get some new shapes?

Laura: I can't deal with it.

Ron: No, take a look at it.

Ron: Take a look at it.

Laura: Fine, but it's on you that I've picked my phone up.

Ron: It's not a P, okay?

Laura: It's really smooth for a P.

Laura: But.

Ron: I've just sent it to you next.

Laura: To a P.

Laura: Sending it to me?

Laura: It's a P without the little antennae on the top.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: No.

Ron: So that is Ro.

Ron: A Greek letter.

Ron: It's a P.

Ron: No, it's Ro.

Laura: How is spelling Ro like Ro vs.

Laura: Wade or row your boat?

Ron: Neither.

Ron: Like raw.

Ron: Like Rho.

Laura: Rho?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Jeez, I'm angry today.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: I'm not even angry.

Ron: So that's density, that's represented by Rho.

Ron: Then we need mass and volume.

Ron: So mass is small, M, volume is capital V.

Ron: Math.

Laura: Volume.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So we're going to work out how much?

Laura: Row?

Ron: Density.

Laura: Density.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: So we're going to work out the density of something.

Laura: Okay, brilliant.

Ron: Let's say that there's a pigeon made of beads.

Laura: I played a new board game this week.

Ron: Go on.

Laura: It's really cool.

Laura: It's all about making long railway lines and roads, and it's played on wipe clean boards.

Laura: I might get it for you and Judith for Christmas because it worked really well for two people.

Ron: That's nice.

Ron: I need to buy your birthday present.

Laura: Yeah, you f****** do it.

Laura: It's been weeks.

Ron: Yeah, I know.

Ron: We decided where it is months, but months ago, we just didn't buy it for you.

Laura: I love you too, Ron.

Laura: Right of me this week.

Ron: Really?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Oh, what did you do?

Laura: I was unlocked.

Laura: The week.

Ron: Takes four times.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I'm spreading out over all four appearances, so it's all good.

Laura: Self esteem intact.

Ron: Right.

Ron: So let's say there's a pigeon made of beans, right?

Laura: Pigeon made of beans, I mean and.

Ron: This pigeon made of beans weighs 40 kilogrammes.

Laura: That's ten Mackeys.

Laura: You imagine baked beans?

Ron: Yep.

Ron: No sauce, though.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Clean.

Laura: I think about baked beans the other day, how if you tried to get the average Brit to just eat some beans, it's just for a month, but if you put my tomato sauce, it's like the great British cuisine.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: But then that's the same for a lot of things.

Ron: Like, if we didn't eat black pudding that, say, the French did, we'd be like, Go eat a horse and a frog leg and a blood sausage.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: And it's got a volume of 00:25 metres cubed.

Laura: 00:25 metres cubed, yeah.

Ron: So what's the density of this bean pigeon?

Laura: I have absolutely no idea.

Laura: Wait, so would it be the weight divided by the volume?

Ron: It absolutely would.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: That makes logical sense.

Laura: Do I need any si volumes?

Laura: Si?

Ron: I've given everything to you in the si.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: Are you proud of me for bringing that up?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: My favourite topic is SR.

Laura: Si.

Ron: Si, yes.

Ron: Standard international.

Laura: So it's 160 dense.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: What would the unit be?

Laura: Foals rows.

Laura: No, you said row is density.

Ron: It's represented by row in the equation, but that's not the unit.

Laura: What would density be?

Ron: Well, you can work it out from what you've combined there, because you just kind of it's a bit like double barrel surnames.

Ron: You just smash them together.

Laura: What size and weight real quick?

Laura: Volume.

Laura: Kilogrammes vulker grammes.

Ron: Volume is not the unit, is it?

Ron: Laura?

Laura: Metre.

Laura: Metre, grammes metres.

Laura: Cuba grammes.

Ron: Even if these were, like, the right units, that's not even how doublebarrel surnames work.

Laura: What am I doing?

Laura: What's?

Laura: It called me kilogrammes per metre.

Laura: I love portmantos.

Laura: Kilogrammes per metre squared.

Ron: Perfect.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: That's great.

Laura: So, 160 kilogrammes per metre squared metres cubed.

Laura: And that's a row.

Ron: That's density.

Ron: Yes, that's how dense it is.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: That is the measure of density.

Laura: I'm going to make really good notes today to distract me from the fact that I don't have good communication today.

Laura: I've still got back to London and do two gigs.

Ron: Oh, really?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: F****** tired, man.

Ron: Sorry, mate.

Laura: Hey, that's the job.

Laura: Never stops.

Laura: People got to be laughing.

Laura: I mean, they haven't.

Laura: That's the difficult thing about my job, is that when I'm tired and it all feels pointless, it is pointless.

Ron: Right.

Ron: So that's dense to you?

Ron: They just wanted us to get that squared away.

Ron: Right?

Laura: Yeah, I did that.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: No, I'm just saying we're moving on now.

Ron: Basically.

Laura: It already moved on.

Ron: Next, we're going to talk about internal energy and energy transfers.

Ron: Okay?

Ron: Okay, so internal energy is the energy that matter has.

Ron: It's the sum of the total kinetic.

Laura: Hang on, I'm only just finishing transfers.

Laura: I can't write that fast.

Laura: Internal energy and energy transfers.

Laura: Go.

Ron: Internal energy is the energy that matter has.

Ron: It's the sum of the total kinetic and total potential energy of all particles in the system.

Laura: My God.

Laura: Right.

Laura: Sum of what?

Ron: Total kinetic and total potential energy.

Laura: Total kinetic you did that on purpose.

Laura: And total potential.

Laura: Keep going.

Ron: Energy of particles in the system.

Laura: Energy of particles and a system.

Ron: This can't be it.

Ron: This can't be me reading things and you writing them.

Laura: Well, now I've got a question and the system is just whatever we're looking at, pretending it's a closed system.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Okay, cool.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Do you know what kinetic energy is?

Laura: Moving energy.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Can you remember the different types of potential energy?

Laura: When you put something up a hill and then it's got potential to fall down and move, or you pull an elastic band and it's got potential, it's going to ping back because you've put it in a place that to go to its natural form, energy will I don't really know what happens, but it comes from somewhere.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: All right.

Ron: Don't have beef with this.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Heating increases the internal energy.

Ron: This will either raise the temperature or it will produce a change of state.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: Because, say I'm heating water, either the water will get hotter or it will reach the temperature where water can't be any hotter.

Laura: So it will become steam.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Very nice.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I thought you might have beef with the fact that you were heating something, but it wasn't getting hotter.

Laura: No.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Speaking of that right.

Laura: By the way, yesterday I was making tempura and so I had to heat oil to really hot in a pan, and then when bubbles were forming on the bottom of the pan and coming up, it was making the loudest dong noise.

Laura: Like an air bubble was, like, forming on the bottom, you know, and rising to the top, and it was going like, dunk dunk.

Laura: It was really loud.

Laura: Is that just because the oil's quite thick, so for the air to move through it, it's displacing something quite heavy and then it's reverberating on the metal pan, I guess.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I don't really know, to be honest.

Laura: I don't know who's the teacher?

Ron: Neither, at first.

Ron: Right.

Ron: So, again, don't have beef with this, but if the temperature is increasing, how much it increases depends on how much of the thing you've got, what it is and how much energy you're putting in.

Laura: If the temperature is increasing depends on.

Ron: The mass of the substance.

Laura: Which one is mass, weight.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: How much you have.

Laura: That makes sense.

Laura: A big pan of water takes longer to boil.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: The type of material.

Laura: Type of material, yep.

Laura: Some things are more conductive than others.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And the energy input into the system.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: How high you've got the hob up.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Nice.

Laura: Why did I have beef with that?

Laura: That's logical.

Laura: That's just cooking.

Ron: Oh, because it just so sometimes, obviously, you have beef with things that you don't find logical.

Ron: Sometimes you like to have beef with things that you think are so logical that it's not worth saying.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I'd say I'll go secondary on this one, but I'm not going to have beef because I'm smart and I'm just going to agree.

Ron: Now, long term listeners, laura Bunsen faster than callers.

Ron: Welcome back to an old friend.

Ron: Here again.

Ron: For your pleasure, we can use Delta E equals Mcdelta Theatre.

Laura: You didn't tell me not to have beef with this bit.

Laura: My eyes are so small today.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Like a little pig.

Laura: Little pig woman.

Laura: Get open eyes.

Ron: What do you think pigs are?

Laura: They've got small piggy eyes, I guess.

Laura: Pigs don't have small eyes, though, do they?

Laura: Why do we say that about poor pigs?

Ron: I didn't think that's.

Ron: What?

Ron: Piggy eyes?

Laura: Piggy little eyes.

Laura: What do they mean by pigs, then?

Ron: Well, if that's what piggy meant, they wouldn't have to say little.

Laura: That's true.

Ron: I think you're thinking of beady.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I don't look beady, I look stoned.

Laura: It's honest answer, because I'm small in the little zoom chat thing.

Laura: My eyes don't even look open.

Ron: You do look tired.

Laura: I am tired.

Ron: You aren't.

Laura: Yes, fine.

Laura: Isn't it?

Laura: So delta E equals MC.

Ron: Delta theatre.

Laura: Again, we did this and Delta was what?

Laura: Was it a f****** Saturn shape or something?

Laura: Was it a triangle?

Ron: That's a capital delta.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: MC triangle was theta.

Laura: The one that was like yeah.

Ron: Circle with a line through.

Ron: So can you remember what everything in Mcdelta feature is?

Laura: No.

Laura: Not even close.

Laura: No.

Laura: So.

Ron: We'Re not doing maths in this podcast.

Laura: Well, then why the f*** are we learning triangle times?

Laura: Jupiter.

Ron: Right.

Ron: So delta e, where's the delta e come from?

Ron: I've said it every time.

Ron: Delta E equals MC delta theta.

Laura: Delta e.

Laura: Because is it.

Ron: Because MC delta theta is not an equation nor a formula.

Ron: That's just four letters.

Laura: Five.

Ron: MC delta theatre is not five letters.

Ron: Good try.

Laura: I'll give you that one.

Ron: So delta E equals NC delta theta.

Ron: Do you remember what delta means?

Laura: No.

Laura: Oh, I don't.

Laura: Hang on, let me have a look.

Laura: We have to go back quite away for this.

Laura: Mac death.

Laura: That was one of the earlier episodes, wasn't it?

Laura: Here it is.

Laura: Physics nine.

Laura: Changing energy.

Laura: That's delta e change in energy.

Ron: Changing energy means nothing.

Laura: Is it?

Laura: I've written down changing energy from last time.

Laura: Change in energy equals mass, heat constant.

Laura: This isn't right.

Laura: Change temperature.

Ron: Yeah, that is right.

Laura: And I've put brackets in when we've learned this in the past around your triangle.

Ron: You kind of insisted in that nobody asked you to do that.

Laura: So the change in energy so I think the triangle means change.

Ron: Yep.

Laura: Triangle equals change.

Ron: Yep.

Laura: Energy is E.

Laura: MC must be the mass and the heat constant.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: And then the planet is temperature.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: So what does that mean?

Laura: So the amount that the energy is changing is the is the mass times the heat times the change in temperature.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: You remember a couple of minutes ago when we said that the increase in temperature depends on the mass of the substance, the type of material it is, the heat constant and the amount of energy yeah, yeah, we've been through that.

Laura: What's a heat constant?

Ron: A heat constant is well, every material obviously reacts to heat differently.

Ron: And every material will have a different heat constant.

Ron: So if you were to do this about water, as we've done before, boiling kettles, we had a good laugh.

Ron: You'd use the specific heat constant of water if you were to do it about a copper bowl.

Laura: Hey, guess what?

Laura: I'm reading Meta by Tom Reynolds at the moment.

Ron: Oh, really?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Is it good?

Laura: Yeah, it's a young adults novel, so it's, you know, spot on.

Laura: Yeah, quite.

Laura: Joining?

Laura: I'm a young adult.

Laura: 36.

Laura: Sorry, I just thought about that and said it instead of waiting.

Laura: Sorry.

Ron: How long have we been recording?

Laura: F****** two years?

Laura: No, half an hour.

Ron: Not long enough, then.

Ron: Well, I don't know.

Ron: Would it be good content to do another one of these?

Ron: I feel like we've done Mcdelta Theatre before.

Laura: What do you mean, done it?

Ron: We've studied this before.

Ron: No, let's do one.

Laura: Should I just insert some of the last edit in here?

Ron: Let's go back in time and hear how we did it before.

Laura: We're not yours.

Ron: That's why I sounded like in the past.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Right.

Ron: You get that.

Ron: You get that, don't you get it?

Laura: Yeah, I believe you that you think this is important.

Ron: I never said that.

Laura: And I've written it down.

Laura: And the thing is, though, because a triangle isn't a thing.

Laura: It just needs to change.

Laura: But, like, do you understand why this feels so pointless?

Laura: When you're like, oh, we're talking about the change, but we call it Delta.

Laura: But it's a triangle.

Laura: Just write change or a big C.

Ron: You have to write it all out.

Ron: But C is something else.

Laura: But then why can't it be a triangle with C in it?

Ron: Why can't it just be Delta?

Laura: Why is it called delta?

Laura: Because it's a Greek letter, but nobody knows the Greek letters anymore.

Ron: Have you heard of Greece?

Ron: Lots of people know the Greek letters.

Laura: I'm telling you, it yeah, but can you see why it's three steps removed to try and remember it?

Laura: Change equals a triangle, which is Delta, by the way.

Laura: There's no way to just look at that and know that I can't read a triangle as Delta.

Laura: I know it's a triangle.

Ron: And you're saying that if it said change e, you'd just be like noise?

Laura: No, I'm saying there's, like three steps removed of understanding to do with a triangle.

Ron: No, there's one step.

Ron: And I'm so sorry that you live in a memento world where you are constantly having to reconstruct the building blocks of the situation you're in.

Ron: But most people are told that delta means the changes something, and then they just have that in their back pocket for life.

Ron: And the next time they see this, they go, I know that one.

Laura: Possibly.

Laura: Though not if they've got other stuff going on that they're actually interested in.

Laura: Man, the clouds are moving fast outside my window.

Ron: But I just I don't understand why this is the bridge too far.

Laura: Not a bridge too far.

Laura: I'm just saying it takes a second for me to do all the translates.

Ron: That's fine, but I think the internal energy thing should highlight why Delta is important and why you need to have it in there.

Ron: Because if it was just E equals MC theta, then that would be changing energy.

Ron: Exactly.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: So let's do an E with a little roundabout E arrow on it.

Laura: Changing energy.

Laura: Shall I come up with my own alternative drawings for everything?

Ron: No, you shouldn't.

Ron: Why would that be?

Laura: Just to see if other people find the more intuitive.

Ron: But no, just remember something.

Laura: It's not like I don't try never said that.

Laura: Are you making it sound like that's what you think?

Ron: No, I'm not.

Ron: It's a Greek letter.

Laura: We use Greek I don't know how many times to tell you, I am trying to remember it, but I have to translate it every time.

Laura: I'm never going to look at a triangle and think, Delta, that's change.

Laura: Why?

Laura: Because triangles are f****** everywhere.

Laura: So I'm driving down the road and there's a warning sign and I'm like, oh, there's a change in pedestrians coming up.

Laura: No, because a triangle exists.

Ron: But maybe when it's in a formula you could do that in the same way that every time you see a triangle in real life, you don't stop going drag time.

Laura: Context.

Laura: You are being deliberately ununderstanding.

Ron: Yup, got the booking.com icon in there.

Ron: The Bereal icon exactly the same.

Laura: What's Bereal?

Ron: Be real is social media for bees?

Ron: No, it's like Instagram, except you can only put one picture up a day and then it all gets deleted after 24 hours.

Laura: What's part of that?

Ron: Kind of if you have a social media but then not end up just like scrolling for ages because you also have to have their phone number.

Ron: So it's like only people you properly know and then everyone gets a notification at a certain time of day.

Ron: Everyone posts a picture, you look at the pictures, you comment on stuff and then it all goes away.

Ron: You don't end up just scrolling forever.

Laura: But that's the whole joy of social media.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: 8 hours of your day.

Ron: It's also something that's a rotting brain.

Laura: Yeah, it's a good idea now, but eventually that will become a brain rock too.

Laura: Everything's s***.

Ron: Oh, I stopped posting on it a while back.

Laura: So now you're just lurking?

Ron: No, that's the other thing, is that you can't see everyone else's pictures unless you post as well, so you can't have lurkers.

Laura: So why have you still got it?

Ron: Just in case.

Ron: Every now and again the holograms work.

Ron: What type of holiday?

Laura: This Howling Wolf thing that you got me.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: What's the matter?

Laura: It's like why are you rubbing your eyes?

Ron: It's triangle prisms on the front and then there'll be one picture on one side of the triangle and one picture on the other side.

Ron: And then as you move it, you see different ones.

Laura: That's clever.

Laura: It's really good.

Ron: I thought you meant like the hologram of like two packet.

Ron: All the pollution.

Laura: I don't care about this.

Laura: I'm looking at this howling wolf notepad that I love.

Ron: Did you see that once Kanye West got Kim Kardashian a hologram of her dad for her birthday?

Laura: Yeah, that's too creepy.

Laura: Listen, Ron, I can't help but notice we haven't been doing the lesson for a while.

Ron: Yeah, we had a nice chat about delta theta though.

Laura: Why did we bring that up?

Ron: It's literally in the syllabus again.

Laura: But why is that how I know about boiling water?

Ron: Well, delta theatre is the change of temperature and we're talking about heating things.

Ron: So this is how we can calculate how much the temperature might go up or how much the energy we'd need was.

Ron: Or what the mass of something was.

Ron: Or maybe what the specific heat constant of something was.

Laura: Okay, well good.

Laura: Let's not do anymore.

Ron: Little bit more.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Alright.

Laura: It's Christina Agallera time.

Laura: Some knowledge and above you got to learn me the right way.

Ron: Aproquising.

Laura: Nice quizzer, boy.

Laura: What's quizzerboy?

Laura: Oh, scared it wasn't good.

Laura: Jesus, right.

Ron: Can you even remember what we did last time without looking at the notepad?

Laura: No, I've already looked at the notepad, so it's too late to ask.

Laura: Oh, that triangle is back.

Laura: Oh, FUPA.

Laura: The little P.

Laura: That's not a p.

Laura: We played with him.

Ron: Fooper the little P.

Ron: That wasn't a p is maybe your next book.

Laura: Children's book.

Laura: Listen, it looks numbersy, and there's only one page of notes, which doesn't vote well.

Laura: But actually, the last time I did a numbersy type thing, I actually did very well on the quiz.

Laura: Because it was logical.

Ron: Yeah, numbers are logical.

Ron: That's why we like them so much.

Ron: Okay, first question.

Ron: There are 45678 marks up for grabs.

Ron: First question.

Ron: What are the four principles of particle theory?

Laura: They are matter, motion, space, and forces.

Ron: Could you flesh out things a bit?

Ron: Are you applying to be the next chancellor?

Ron: And you just want buzzwords?

Ron: It was topical at the time of recording, listening.

Laura: It's probably topical again.

Laura: How long ago did Jeremy Hunt leave?

Laura: When you're listening to this, you need to get in touch with this and let us know.

Laura: I don't think I need to go into more detail, and that is pretty self explanatory.

Laura: What was the question?

Ron: Laura, for a house of learned doctors like you and myself, obviously it's selfexpected.

Ron: However, we don't want there to be too high a bar for the listener.

Ron: So if you could just put it into layman's terms.

Ron: Not that you or I are a layman.

Laura: No.

Laura: Could you repeat the question, please?

Ron: What are the four principles of the particle model?

Laura: It's that particles exist and they make up matter, and depending on how much motion the particles do, depends on the state of the matter, and also the space between them affects the matter and the forces between the particles.

Laura: I e bonds.

Ron: I'm going to very generously give you two marks out of four for that.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: So number one, matter is made up of tiny particles.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Number two, there is empty space between the particles.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: That's not one of the ones that.

Laura: You got marked for what I did.

Laura: I said there was space between them.

Ron: No, you said the space in between them affects the forces and stuff.

Ron: It's not what you said.

Ron: The particles are in constant motion and there are forces that act between the particles.

Ron: I generously gave you a mark for that.

Laura: Why did I get the motion wrong?

Laura: I did say that they were in motion.

Ron: Did you?

Laura: Yeah, I said the speed at which they motion affects the state of the matter.

Laura: Like, if they're motioning really fast, then they're a gas.

Laura: If they're motioning a little bit medium, they're a liquid.

Laura: And if they are motioning minimum amount, they're a solid.

Ron: Okay, but that's not the same as them being in constant motion.

Laura: Okay, I'll give you this one.

Ron: What Greek letter represents density.

Ron: It's not Fooper.

Laura: It's not Fooper.

Laura: I think it was called Roy.

Laura: Was it called Roy?

Laura: Something like that?

Laura: Hang on, let me read the notes in more detail.

Laura: It was why does it say pigeon made of bean?

Laura: Oh, no, there it is.

Laura: Raja Ray, basically Roy.

Laura: ROH roe.

Ron: Yes.

Laura: Roy.

Ron: One marks.

Ron: That one I get.

Ron: How do you calculate density?

Laura: Density is kilogrammes per metre cubed.

Ron: Yep.

Ron: Nice.

Ron: That's another mark.

Laura: God, it's easier when you've made notes.

Ron: It is easier to answer questions when you're just reading off another piece of paper.

Laura: That is why I couldn't have remembered that if I hadn't written it down.

Ron: You haven't remembered it now you've written it down.

Laura: That's a form of remembering.

Laura: I left a note for myself from.

Ron: Notetaking and that's diligent and good.

Ron: But you know you won't have your notebook in the exam.

Laura: Yes, I will, you f****** wine.

Laura: Well, then that exam is pointless.

Ron: And final question.

Ron: Wait, did I ask how you calculate density?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Kilogrammes per metre cubed.

Ron: No, that's the unit of density.

Laura: Well, that's how you calculate it.

Laura: You work that out?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: What is internal energy?

Laura: Internal energy is the sum of the total kinetic and total potential energy of particles in the system.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Mark brilliant.

Laura: What would you say that meant if you had to explain that back?

Ron: Sorry, say that again.

Laura: What did I just say?

Ron: That internal energy is the sum of the total kinetic and potential energy of all the particles.

Laura: Is that the amount of energy that the moving things have and how high up they are?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Okay, cool.

Ron: You do this sometimes, Lauren, where you sort of, like, ask the definition of something and you're like, what does that mean?

Ron: That means the thing that's just defined it doesn't mean anything else other than that's what internal energy is.

Laura: Yeah, just sometimes there's too many words that aren't easy.

Laura: Not that those are, like, complicated words, but they're words I'm not, like, super familiar with, so I had to sort of translate it down into a thing I understand.

Laura: Like, you say the sum of the total kinetic and total potential energy and then my brain goes, what's got that energy?

Laura: What do you mean?

Laura: And then I have to understand it.

Ron: Do you get it now?

Laura: Enough that I want to move on.

Ron: Okay, well, that's the end of the quiz.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Pretty smart.

Ron: Wow, 600 beats.

Laura: Such good notes.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Six marks to the notebook.

Laura: Ron, I think the line, have you heard of Greece nearly killed me?

Ron: Yeah, it was warranted.

Laura: There are a couple of moments in that episode I was listening back to it and Tom was sitting next to me.

Laura: The bit where I get up to shout a bird out of the window and knock all the stuff on my desk.

Laura: When you really hear yourself back in 4K Clarity, you realise quite what a problem you've turned out to be.

Laura: It's really sad.

Laura: Tom was just shaking his head and going like, yeah, you are a nightmare.

Ron: I always listen back to the episodes so we could do these things, or when I'm editing and whatnot, and I'm always a bit like, wow, you've really gone red real quickly there, Ron.

Ron: You need to look at yourself.

Ron: Why do you get so cross?

Ron: And then we start recording the next episode.

Ron: Yeah, this is why at least you.

Laura: Don'T hear yourself sitting there going, okay, I'm trying to understand this.

Laura: What's a hologram.

Laura: I've got a wolf notepad, Ron.

Laura: Look at my sweeties, like it's unbearable.

Laura: And every time I think, this isn't who I want to go out in the world, I'm gonna change and be a more upstanding female icon.

Laura: And then I never am.

Ron: No.

Laura: Yeah, well, anyway, I am garbage.

Laura: Thank you for listening, listeners.

Laura: We will be back next week with really the last episode of Term next week, isn't it, Ron?

Ron: Well, last proper lesson before the mufty.

Laura: Days, because then we've got some strong end of term vibes.

Laura: We're giving you two Christmas episodes, which we're very excited about, but next week will be physics.

Laura: Oh, what do I know?

Laura: End.

Laura: And then it'll be Christmas specials, so we'll see.

Ron: That's nice, though, that we've ended it on a triplet, though.

Laura: Oh, yeah, that is quite neat and tidy.

Laura: Hey, thanks for listening.

Laura: We'll see you next week.

Laura: Goodbye.

Ron: We love you, Cluster Smith.

Ron: I mean, this goes quite a long section, so we can stop here.

Ron: Yeah, that's why I'm burping.

Laura: I'm doing weird burps.

Laura: I had some, like, vegan pepperoni for lunch.

Ron: I had a bad day yesterday.

Ron: And an entire tube of Pringles on the way back from the gym.

Laura: Nice.

Laura: What flavour?

Ron: The crisp flavours are weird out here.

Ron: Paprika, bolognase, pickles and salt are the top four flavours, although I think they were just called spicy.

Laura: Spicy.

Laura: Yeah, I ate.

Laura: I hope it's on Wednesday.

Laura: I've got really good lately about even when we order a big pizza, having just under half of it, and then I have it for breakfast and lunch the next day, and on Wednesday I just ate the whole thing.

Ron: Yeah, it's hard to start with pizza.

Laura: It is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment