Lexx Education - Episode Index

Episode 1 - Biology - A Lego Brick Full of Meccano                          Introduction to cells. Episode 2 - Chemistry - Bob Marley and th...

Monday 5 June 2023

Dead Air

 Laura: Hello and welcome to another episode of Lexx Education, the comedy science podcast, where comedian me, Laura Lexx tries to learn science from her in the same room.

Laura: Brother Ron.

Ron: Same room.

Laura: Hi, Ron.

Ron: Hello.

Laura: We've actually been together in the eye contact with I hate it.

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: I have to look at you.

Ron: Last time we recorded in the same room, we sat next to each other and we didn't have to just intensely stare.

Laura: Yeah, we're sort of both squatting around Ron's bed because child of the podcast is having a bath.

Laura: So we thought we'd come out here so that squawking didn't feature on the intro.

Ron: Now we're kneeling by a futon in a garage.

Laura: Yeah, Ron's hutch.

Laura: This is where he's staying while he stays with me.

Laura: We've had a nice weekend though, haven't we?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Sister of the podcast and some nephews.

Laura: Of the podcast and brother in law of the podcast.

Laura: They all came visiting and s***** dog of the podcast.

Laura: Oh, I like him.

Ron: No, you don't.

Laura: I do.

Laura: He's a big old lump.

Ron: He is a big lump.

Laura: Anyway, hello.

Laura: Welcome, everyone.

Laura: I've got backache.

Laura: That's what's happening with me.

Ron: I'm really tired, Ron's.

Speaker C: Really tired.

Laura: I just had a cry when I said goodbye to older Sister of the podcast.

Laura: So that's where we are right now.

Laura: A little bit sunstroked and well, I think maybe we're going to have a second wind because we're about to do the cook along with Ron.

Ron: I just drank some water and I feel better.

Laura: I will never drink water.

Laura: It's disgusting.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: So big news this week.

Laura: We've got two bonus things going out this week.

Laura: And hey, if that isn't worth your three pounds a month, what do we have to do?

Laura: A, just f****** pay us.

Ron: Just we're doing a good job.

Laura: Some podcasts have thousands of patrons and they're nowhere near as bewilderingly niche and wonderful as this one white.

Ron: And the podcast that I subscribe to on Patreon has a 45 pound a month tier.

Laura: That's insane.

Laura: We would never ask for that because of things like that that we don't edit out.

Laura: So, look, three pounds a month and just this week that'll get you you can watch the cook along, which we're about to make a Greek feast.

Ron: It's not necessarily Greek food.

Laura: Oh, is it not Middle Eastern food?

Laura: Middle Eastern food.

Ron: Falafel is Greek.

Speaker C: Okay.

Ron: I think hummus is claimed by like, everyone.

Ron: Yeah, but we're making hummus.

Ron: Falafel, satsiki taboo.

Ron: This is where my thing I don't know how to pronounce it comes out tabule tabooli.

Laura: Tivoli, bool, bowls.

Laura: Tabulating tibbles.

Ron: I don't have internet out here.

Laura: Tomboy let me cheque on my phone.

Laura: It doesn't matter anyway.

Laura: That thing cuscus basically making that.

Laura: I'm going to do some flat breads if the bread dough proves.

Speaker C: If not, I don't know.

Laura: I'll make Ronnie's a spoonful of raw bread dough live on the cook along.

Laura: So hey, if you sign up, you can watch that.

Laura: It won't be live anymore, but you can watch the video.

Laura: And also this Friday, we've got the first pop quiz.

Laura: Then later dinner.

Speaker C: What's happening?

Ron: Whipper?

Laura: Taboule.

Ron: Taboule.

Ron: We're making taboule salad.

Laura: We're going to make some taboolay salad.

Laura: So, yeah, skip to no, wait, skip two.

Laura: That's the next note.

Ron: Skip to the patreon and have a nice story.

Laura: And you'll get the pop quiz this Friday, plus everything else we've ever put out.

Laura: So hey, just do it.

Speaker C: Hey.

Laura: We deserve financial and the pop quiz.

Ron: Surprising.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Laura: Listen, it's episode 50 this week, the big five vote as a special treat for you, Ron.

Laura: Do you know what I've done?

Ron: No.

Laura: I've left in nearly all the thinking time so that you always say that you don't want it edited out so that people don't think I'm quicker than I am.

Laura: There are some honking great chunks of thinking time and I've left them in just for you.

Ron: Lovely.

Ron: Thank you.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Trigger warning for Dead Man Chat.

Speaker C: Yes.

Laura: So, at the top of the show, we discuss a funeral procession for a while.

Laura: It's very light hearted on our part, so if that's going to be a bit close to the bone for you, or just something you don't want to hear people joking about.

Laura: Absolutely fine.

Laura: Skip around six and a half minutes at the end of this intro and you'll just skip all of us chatting about what the correct etiquette is for seeing a funeral procession.

Ron: It's not morbid, but it's flippant.

Laura: It's flippant, yes.

Laura: And, yeah, those are the notes.

Laura: Really.

Laura: I really loved this episode this week.

Laura: There are so many seasons of emotion.

Ron: Because we record these quite far in advance and then we listen to them before we record the intros outro, so that we know what to talk about, what's been going on and stuff.

Ron: And it is always kind of embarrassing how much our own podcast makes me laugh.

Laura: Yeah, I hard agree.

Laura: Hard agree.

Laura: So, there you go.

Laura: Pop quiz on Friday.

Laura: Cook along with Ron live now, you're all wonderful.

Laura: I particularly enjoyed Jasper's passionate defence of wind on social media this week.

Ron: Ever heard about the hairy ball problem?

Laura: No.

Ron: The hairy ball problem is like a wind thing in physics, because wind's always got to be going somewhere, right?

Speaker C: No, probably.

Ron: Yeah, because if air is still, then it's not wind.

Ron: Okay, so then imagine that you've got a hairy ball.

Laura: No, because if I say I've got wind, that is just wind inside me.

Ron: Yes, but that's a fart, that's not actual wind.

Ron: So if you imagine you got a hairy ball and then you're combing it, which is a metaphor for the wind around going around the world, then there will be a spot somewhere where all of the hair is going away from it.

Ron: So that means that there's always a spot on the earth where there's no wind.

Laura: Yeah, I believe that there's loads of time when it's not windy.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: It's a thing.

Laura: Why is that?

Speaker C: What?

Laura: F****** physics, man.

Laura: It's such a bellend.

Speaker C: What a waste.

Laura: Anyway, enjoy this non physics episode.

Ron: Do we save that for the intros?

Speaker C: I think we're bloody reference it, Ron.

Speaker C: Big 500:50 in 50.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Speaker C: 50 bloody 50 bloody episodes, Ron.

Speaker C: That's a shiny day at the podcast.

Speaker C: Mine.

Ron: God, that's half of a hundred.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: 10% of 500.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Almost a year's worth.

Speaker C: Nearly.

Ron: Nearly a year's worth.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Do you think we've improved?

Speaker C: What is improvement?

Speaker C: I like how Mike often says in socials, he goes back and listens to the beginning and he says something, he's like, oh, a lot of what we love about it was already there from episode one, which sort of makes me go like some podcasts.

Speaker C: You do have to listen to five or six and then go, all right.

Speaker C: Do you ever find a podcast you really love and you listen to a modern episode and then you go back and try and listen to an old one and you're like, Nah, you've not nailed this yet.

Speaker C: Whereas he makes me feel like we really found our feet from day one.

Ron: I think it's just natural charisma and talent combined with having known each other quite a long time.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Speaker C: And a lot of hard work on my part to learn science and on your part to teach science.

Speaker C: Because I'm not a professional science student and you're not a professional science teacher.

Speaker C: No party atmosphere here at our 50th birthday, is there?

Ron: No.

Ron: Well, it's more of a death march towards the grave, isn't it?

Ron: Is it life?

Ron: Yeah.

Speaker C: Oh.

Speaker C: I'm not really marching.

Speaker C: I'm skipping.

Speaker C: I'm looking at the clouds as I go.

Speaker C: I saw a funeral parade today.

Ron: Anyone you know?

Speaker C: No.

Ron: F*** them, then.

Speaker C: Oh, Ron.

Ron: What?

Speaker C: I didn't really know what to do when it went past.

Speaker C: I did the sign of the cross, even though I'm not religious.

Speaker C: Well, I just felt like I could do something to show respect, and I didn't really know what that was, so I did that.

Ron: Could have saluted.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Speaker C: Maybe it said NAN, though.

Speaker C: Not like admiral or anything.

Ron: Salute women.

Speaker C: You can salute women, but NANS can be admiral.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Speaker C: Listen, if you're listening and you're a NAN and an admiral, I'm not trying to marginalise you.

Speaker C: It just didn't feel like the obvious thing to do, to salute.

Speaker C: It's not a magpie, is it?

Speaker C: It's a coffin.

Speaker C: I just was having a little, like.

Ron: You wanted something NAN specific to walk ahead of the hearse, sprinkling shreddies on the road or something.

Speaker C: It wasn't I don't think it crosses non specific.

Speaker C: What would you have done?

Speaker C: Just nothing.

Speaker C: Just looked away.

Ron: Flick the van, the grab your hag.

Speaker C: Stop calling that poor person a hag.

Ron: She poor NAN so evil.

Speaker C: She might have been.

Speaker C: There wasn't anybody in the car following the coffin, probably.

Speaker C: Then who hired just an empty car to go by.

Speaker C: I was hoping they were probably on their way to pick up the family.

Ron: Maybe they drove the hearse to the family.

Speaker C: Yeah, I don't know.

Ron: That feels weird for me.

Ron: I figured you went to the mortuary and then you picked up the body and then you went with it to wherever it was getting blown up or something.

Ron: I didn't realise.

Ron: Something for you to sign for.

Ron: Do you want to come drive to the place?

Speaker C: Yeah, I don't know.

Speaker C: That's a good question, Ron.

Speaker C: I've only been in one funeral procession and I can't remember where we found the coffin.

Ron: Whose was that?

Speaker C: Grandmas.

Ron: I remember flicking the visa.

Speaker C: You did not.

Speaker C: You were, like, six.

Speaker C: Yeah, I don't know.

Speaker C: I don't know, man.

Speaker C: Hey, are you a funeral director?

Speaker C: Do you listen to Lexx education?

Speaker C: Let us know.

Ron: What is the most appropriate way to react to a passing dead man.

Speaker C: I think my little cross was fine.

Ron: What if she was Jewish?

Speaker C: Yeah.

Speaker C: Then?

Speaker C: I don't know.

Ron: I think you either salute on the assumption that NAN was an admiral.

Speaker C: Every single funeral I see, I'm going to salute just in case they were an admiral.

Speaker C: That's the new rule.

Speaker C: That's going to be you know how you can find out who also listens to Adam and Joe?

Speaker C: By shouting Stephen and see who responds if a funeral goes past and someone else is saluting, you'd be like, oh, my God, they're elaborate.

Speaker C: Let's go.

Ron: None of our listeners listen to Adam and Joe.

Speaker C: How do you know?

Ron: Nobody reacted to one person did, did they?

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Oh, I didn't see that.

Speaker C: I tell you what, so hang on, we've not said any of the information necessary for this.

Speaker C: Ron posted a clip of Taffin.

Speaker C: Maybe you shouldn't be living here.

Ron: What goes on in this town is none of your business.

Speaker C: But one, Twitter just squashes links in tweets.

Speaker C: It doesn't show them in the algorithm.

Speaker C: And two, it didn't show a preview of what was happening, it just showed a little link.

Ron: Yeah, but if they were real fans, they'd have clicked.

Speaker C: Yeah, I agree.

Speaker C: But one person did.

Speaker C: I believe I believe that tweet got one like that.

Ron: Might have been me, though.

Speaker C: Cutie.

Ron: Well, let's get on to some science.

Ron: I'm glad that we had some dead NAN chat at the top of the show because I think this is going to be a really dull episode, to be honest.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So you remember what we were studying in our last chemistry session?

Speaker C: No, hang on, mentioned it earlier.

Speaker C: Electrolysis.

Speaker C: Oh, yeah.

Speaker C: Uncle Fester in the bath.

Speaker C: Hi, buddy.

Ron: So we're doing more electrolysis.

Speaker C: That is some scant notes.

Ron: There's not that much to it.

Speaker C: So why is it coming up again?

Ron: Because the last time we did electrolysis, the process of electrolysis, we kind of did the fundamentals.

Speaker C: Rename those the dull diamentals.

Ron: Wow.

Laura: This is episode 50, though.

Speaker C: Shouldn't this be all fancy pants?

Ron: No, because we can't do a bicentenary can't do a 50 special and then do a year special as well.

Speaker C: Party people party all the time I don't know how that song goes.

Speaker C: Party people party hard that's it.

Speaker C: Party people party hard all the time.

Speaker C: I'm too tired now.

Speaker C: This is like the fourth thing we've recorded today.

Ron: Yeah.

Speaker C: Lost my attention span.

Ron: Yeah.

Speaker C: Are you going to go and see the Barbie movie?

Speaker C: No, I'm going to look at my Barbie coloured pens.

Ron: That's nice.

Ron: I'm bored of the Barbie movie.

Ron: I feel like they announced it years.

Speaker C: Ago, maybe a two online these days.

Ron: I mean, that's almost certainly true, but also, I don't care about it.

Speaker C: I quite want to see it there.

Ron: I never I want to see it more now.

Ron: I know Michael Sarah is in it.

Speaker C: I thought everybody in acting was in it.

Ron: I don't know.

Speaker C: No, me neither, really.

Speaker C: Anyway, the thing is what I really mean is those are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen.

Ron: I've got some new protein powder and it's really gross.

Speaker C: You can tell everybody that this is your song.

Speaker C: Maybe quite simple, but well, now that it's done hey, I hope you don't mind.

Ron: Why are you just sizing Elton John?

Speaker C: Larry very tired.

Speaker C: I thought you got in the quiet chair.

Ron: I went through.

Speaker C: Why are you back in the noisy chair?

Ron: Do you want me to move to the quiet chair?

Speaker C: I want you to begin in the quiet chair.

Ron: All right, I'll move to the quiet chair.

Ron: But on the fourth record of the day, I didn't think it was a priority.

Speaker C: You told me you'd already changed to it.

Ron: I bloody didn't.

Speaker C: You did, because you made up some sob story about having been at work all day and so by the time you got round to doing this, that you didn't have prioritised changing into that chair.

Ron: Yeah, and that's still true, even though I didn't.

Speaker C: God, if you ever get fired, I want it to say in your notes, his noisy chair during meetings ruined productivity and the quarterly crunchies.

Ron: Please don't fire me so that you can do a report.

Speaker C: I will.

Ron: Hang on, I'm just rolling my sleep.

Speaker C: Why are you doing that now?

Speaker C: We're eleven and a half minutes into the episode and we've done not a jod of science and now you're just warming up your forearms.

Ron: It's not my fault.

Ron: We've not done any science.

Speaker C: Whose fault is it, then?

Ron: Both of us.

Speaker C: I had a nice moment with a dead man and you mocked me for 20 minutes.

Ron: I just think it's weird.

Speaker C: I just think he shows some respect when someone dead goes past you.

Ron: Anyway, so we're doing electrolysis.

Ron: We're doing more electrolysis.

Speaker C: Oh, giddy.

Ron: So last time we mainly talked about electrolysis in aqueous solutions.

Speaker C: Solutions.

Ron: Things dissolved in water just before we.

Speaker C: Get started, don't ask me to recap last week, please.

Ron: Let's just have a quick bash out of what electrolysis is.

Speaker C: Okay, go on then.

Speaker C: No, you go.

Speaker C: After you, sir.

Speaker C: I couldn't possibly.

Speaker C: Ron.

Speaker C: Just genuflected like an absolute rascal.

Speaker C: Okay, I've done it.

Ron: Corner.

Speaker C: I just did.

Speaker C: Did the internet go down?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: So it didn't record.

Ron: So do it again.

Speaker C: No, it will have recorded my end.

Speaker C: Don't worry, because I've got the clean feed here.

Ron: Just do it, please.

Speaker C: I have.

Speaker C: You can hear it back in the edit.

Speaker C: Open your eyes and come out.

Speaker C: Ron.

Speaker C: Ron.

Speaker C: Ron, wake up.

Speaker C: Ron, wake up.

Speaker C: Ron.

Speaker C: It's all a dream.

Speaker C: Ron.

Speaker C: Ron.

Ron: I've ever told you about the wake up bit that we do with our friend Ross?

Speaker C: No.

Ron: So this has been going on for maybe like eight years now, but just every now and again, someone will just be lots of our friends around.

Ron: We do be doing something interesting or something.

Ron: Or maybe sometimes it would just be a mundane day at home or something, hanging out.

Ron: Someone will just look him in the eyes and just go, Wake up, Ross.

Ron: You have to wake up.

Ron: Wake up.

Ron: Just to freak him out.

Speaker C: That's so mean.

Speaker C: He's already quite unbalanced.

Ron: Very funny.

Speaker C: Okay, electrolysis, too.

Speaker C: Let's go.

Ron: No, just quickly tell me what electrolysis is.

Speaker C: Ask me a question about it and I'll tell you.

Ron: All right.

Ron: Describe the process of electrolysis for three marks.

Speaker C: It goes left to right through the water.

Speaker C: Upsy, downsies, h pluses.

Speaker C: Castle down.

Ron: I need to just give some information.

Speaker C: I am giving you tonnes of information.

Ron: You just know.

Ron: You do it more.

Ron: Better.

Speaker C: No, because when I give more detail, you find more problems with it.

Ron: But just what are you doing to the water?

Speaker C: Sparking it it you're shrugging.

Speaker C: Put in the sparkle through it.

Ron: To the mooch.

Ron: Use words.

Ron: Better words.

Speaker C: Put in charge.

Speaker C: Current through it.

Speaker C: Current.

Ron: But a current across it.

Speaker C: Current across it.

Ron: And then hot cross a current bus.

Ron: What happens in the water?

Speaker C: Electrolysis breaks up the molecules.

Ron: Molecules?

Speaker C: Atoms.

Speaker C: Molecules, ions.

Speaker C: Jesus.

Speaker C: Ions.

Ron: I can't believe they let you operate heavy machinery.

Speaker C: They don't.

Speaker C: Who would ever let me do that?

Ron: You drive everywhere, all the time.

Ron: You're a real gas guzzler.

Speaker C: Yeah, f*** the planet.

Speaker C: You know me.

Ron: That's how you flick the V's at dead NANS f****** planet.

Speaker C: Poor me.

Ron: What happens, Laura?

Ron: What happens when you apply the current across the solution?

Ron: What needs to be in the solution?

Speaker C: The sticks.

Ron: No, what's in solution?

Ron: Why are you thick like this?

Speaker C: You put the sticks in.

Ron: Yes, but what's in solution?

Ron: What's there?

Speaker C: Ions.

Ron: What have you dissolved.

Speaker C: That was made from acid and it kept reacting.

Ron: Okay, then what do you get at the anode?

Speaker C: Minuses.

Ron: What forms at the anode?

Speaker C: Depends what soluble salt it was.

Ron: What forms at the anode?

Speaker C: Depends what soluble salt it was.

Ron: What forms at the anode?

Ron: What forms at the anode?

Speaker C: I do not know.

Ron: Ron, what forms at the anode?

Speaker C: I think you get H pluses at the cathode.

Ron: Would you get those at the cathode?

Speaker C: Yeah, because the cathode is negative.

Ron: The cathode is positive.

Speaker C: Hang on, let me change my notes from last week.

Speaker C: Okay, so at the anode, you get H pluses.

Ron: Wait, yeah, the anode's negative.

Speaker C: Are you sure?

Ron: Yeah, I've just Googled it because you made me doubt myself.

Ron: Wait, what?

Ron: Anode is the positive part.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: But then why is Google telling me the opposite?

Speaker C: Google's a liar.

Speaker C: I agree.

Ron: I'm so confused.

Ron: The anode's negative.

Speaker C: Are you sure, Ron?

Ron: No, I'm not.

Ron: Hang on, let me look at the syllabus.

Ron: Yeah, the anode is positive.

Speaker C: That's really wrong.

Ron: Google it, though, because it does say both on there.

Speaker C: I vaguely remember it being the anode being positive, and that's what I've got written down.

Ron: Yeah, I've just looked at the syllabus and it is that way.

Ron: Right.

Ron: So then what happens is you get the negatively charged ions move to the anode.

Ron: The positively charged ions move to the electrode.

Ron: Yeah.

Speaker C: What?

Ron: Negatively charged ions move to the anode.

Ron: Positively charged ions move to the cathode.

Speaker C: Yes.

Speaker C: So at the anode at the cathode, you get H pluses.

Ron: Yes, you do.

Ron: God, I'm losing it now.

Ron: All right, so that's what we did last week.

Ron: We had a great time this week.

Ron: What we're doing?

Ron: How long have we been recording?

Speaker C: 21 minutes.

Ron: I think that's a record for no new content.

Speaker C: Yeah, that's pretty good.

Ron: So now we're going to talk about the electrolysis of molten ionic compounds.

Speaker C: Crikey.

Speaker C: I'm a bit hungry.

Ron: I just drank a really horrible protein shake.

Speaker C: Why did you do that?

Ron: Because I ordered a new flavour because I thought it'd be nice, but it's not.

Ron: It's awful and I've got two and a half kilogrammes of it.

Speaker C: What does it taste of?

Ron: It's supposed to be chocolate brownie, but it tastes gross.

Speaker C: Put it in your cereal in the mornings.

Ron: I don't eat cereal in the mornings.

Speaker C: Start having cereal in the mornings and put it in that.

Ron: That's empty calories.

Ron: I think that does the point of it.

Ron: I'll just have to start putting in the food I am eating, like a toasty or.

Speaker C: Protosy Proti.

Speaker C: A protein toasty.

Ron: You ah.

Ron: So, Laura, what do you think happens when you do electrolysis over a molten ionic compound?

Speaker C: Whoa.

Speaker C: I don't know at all.

Speaker C: Ron.

Ron: Have a think.

Speaker C: I think negatives would go to the anode and positives to the cathode.

Ron: Negative of what?

Speaker C: Ions.

Ron: Let's say that we've got some lead bromide.

Ron: We've melted it.

Ron: We've got a steaming hot cup of lead bromide.

Ron: We're going to put in an anode and a cathode.

Ron: They have to be inert these electrodes.

Ron: We don't want them to react, because something like that, that's molten, that's going to be quite reactive, what's going to form at the cathode and what's going to form at the anode.

Speaker C: Should that be enough information?

Speaker C: Really?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: I'm not going to speak again till you've worked it out dead air.

Speaker C: F****** speak then, you piece of s***.

Speaker C: You can't ask me just throw up.

Speaker C: Just swallow my hair.

Speaker C: You can't ask me to think and run the podcast.

Ron: Talk us through your thoughts.

Speaker C: I haven't got any thoughts.

Speaker C: Can't find f****** bromine on the periodic table.

Speaker C: I don't know where it is.

Speaker C: F****** f*** you.

Speaker C: F***.

Speaker C: F*** you.

Speaker C: I found lead.

Speaker C: What's he up to?

Speaker C: 82.

Speaker C: What does that mean?

Speaker C: Oh, my God.

Laura: I hate this bromide.

Speaker C: What is that?

Speaker C: BR.

Speaker C: Probably not bromine.

Speaker C: That's probably the same chloride.

Speaker C: Chlorine.

Speaker C: We'll call that bromide, then.

Speaker C: 35.

Speaker C: I'm spitting it from that.

Speaker C: Which one's going to get big and small?

Speaker C: I don't know.

Ron: What's lead?

Speaker C: Metal.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And what do metals do?

Speaker C: Pull their electrons.

Speaker C: How do you know metals pull their electrons?

Ron: How do you know something's a metal?

Ron: Something's not a metal.

Speaker C: You look at it and if it's a metal, it's a metal.

Speaker C: No, shiny and metal like unless it's salt.

Speaker C: That's a metal and a banana.

Speaker C: It pulls its electrons.

Ron: That's not the definition, because graphene pulls its electrons as well, doesn't it?

Speaker C: Well, then it's grateful.

Ron: Is graphene a metal?

Speaker C: Yes.

Ron: No.

Ron: So what's the other definition of a metal?

Ron: Laura dead.

Speaker C: Laura.

Ron: What's?

Ron: The other day.

Speaker C: I don't know.

Speaker C: I don't know.

Ron: What type of ion?

Speaker C: No.

Ron: Does a non metal form?

Speaker C: Stop asking me.

Ron: What type of ion does a non metal form?

Speaker C: I don't know.

Ron: Think about the nonmetals that you know, like chlorine.

Speaker C: Smells.

Ron: What type of ion does it?

Speaker C: I have no f****** idea.

Ron: Think about salt.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Table salt.

Ron: What's that?

Speaker C: Nut.

Speaker C: N a ZL.

Ron: And what do those ions?

Ron: What are those ions?

Speaker C: Salt.

Ron: What are the two ions?

Speaker C: NA and CL.

Ron: What charge are they?

Ron: Yes, you do.

Ron: Yes, you do.

Ron: How many electrons does sodium have in its outer shell?

Speaker C: I have no idea.

Ron: How many electrons does sodium have in its outer shell?

Speaker C: I don't know.

Ron: How many electrons.

Speaker C: Are you making me hysterical.

Speaker C: I don't know.

Ron: Where'S sodium why would it be three?

Speaker C: Because it's in the three why would it be three column outer shell in the three column?

Ron: It's not in the three column.

Ron: It's f****** not.

Speaker C: Have you got.

Ron: No.

Ron: So that means it's got three shells of electrons, doesn't it?

Ron: So how many electrons does it have in its outermost shell?

Speaker C: I don't know.

Speaker C: One?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: We have been through this and through this and through this.

Ron: We have gone through this.

Ron: And not only just through this.

Ron: We have gone through the fundamental building blocks of knowledge that you need to put this together so many times, and it's crazy.

Ron: What's the other ion?

Ron: How many electrons does chlorine have in its outer shell?

Speaker C: I don't know.

Ron: Count.

Speaker C: 1234-5678.

Speaker C: 910, 1112, 13.

Speaker C: 1415, 1617.

Ron: No.

Speaker C: What?

Ron: What row is it in?

Speaker C: 17.

Ron: Yeah, but there's not one in every single space in its row, is there?

Speaker C: What?

Ron: The row that chlorine is in isn't complete, is it?

Ron: There are ten missing.

Speaker C: No.

Ron: Yes.

Speaker C: Why?

Speaker C: What.

Ron: We honestly like, we my periodic.

Speaker C: Table is broken and what do you mean?

Ron: So it goes sodium, magnesium, and then there's a big f****** gap, and then it goes aluminium, silicon, phosphorus, sulphur, chlorine, doesn't it?

Speaker C: No.

Ron: Show me yours.

Ron: Show it to me.

Speaker C: Sodium.

Ron: Okay, move to the left.

Ron: Yeah, so I'm seeing sodium and magnesium, then I'm seeing a big f****** gap.

Laura: I counted all of those.

Ron: Yeah, don't count the gap.

Speaker C: It's not a gap exactly.

Speaker C: There is a row below.

Ron: It's a gap the way that you.

Speaker C: Did not tell me that sometimes you're.

Ron: Like an alien pretending to be a human with these bizarre, perverse leaps in logic.

Speaker C: No, nobody said, oh, you only count the row columns for the rows.

Speaker C: It's over there.

Ron: Yeah, but there's a big gap in.

Speaker C: The top bit, not lower down in.

Ron: The row that chlorine is in.

Speaker C: Never told me to count like that.

Ron: No, but I did.

Speaker C: The second castle, it's ten centimetres wide.

Speaker C: The turrets are still ten apart, even though the other wall is lower.

Ron: But it's not a f****** sand castle.

Speaker C: But that's how I was thinking about it, as I know that it looks a bit like a sand castle, but I need you to think about it more critically.

Speaker C: I won't.

Ron: So how many electrons marines don't count all of them or ones different, count diagonally.

Speaker C: Seven.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: How many would fill up chlorine's outer shell?

Ron: Which elements on the periodic table have full outer shells?

Speaker C: The ones at the top.

Ron: What, hydrogen and helium?

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Does hydrogen have a full outer shell?

Ron: It's just those two and none of the other ones question.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: So hydrogen's got one electron, you know that?

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Helium's got two.

Speaker C: If these two I can't hear you anymore, Ron.

Speaker C: We're back after some technical difficulties and I've calmed down a bit.

Ron: Okay, where did we get up to?

Speaker C: I think we'd finish.

Ron: Oh, yeah.

Ron: You'd said that the ones at the top of the periodic table had full outer shells, and I said hydrogen and helium, and you said yes.

Ron: And then I was asking if hydrogen has one electron and helium has two and they've got full shells and they're the only ones with full shells, how could any of the other elements have any electrons more than two?

Speaker C: Oh, they can't.

Ron: What are you doing?

Ron: You're not listening.

Speaker C: I am listening carefully.

Speaker C: What would you like me to say?

Ron: Now, so which atoms on the period table have full outer shells?

Speaker C: Group eight.

Ron: The noble gases.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: So what happens when sodium beats chlorine?

Speaker C: Don't know, Ron.

Ron: What happens to the electrons?

Speaker C: They share them.

Speaker C: Covalent?

Ron: No, it's not covalent.

Speaker C: Ionic bonds.

Speaker C: Ionic bonds.

Ron: Sodium's.

Speaker C: Got and then they're magnet to each other.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: And then what type of ion is the sodium?

Speaker C: Metal ion.

Speaker C: Metal ion.

Ron: What charge does it have?

Speaker C: I don't know, Ron's.

Speaker C: If it lost or took an electron.

Ron: Which one does it?

Speaker C: I don't know.

Speaker C: Negative.

Speaker C: It's a negative electron.

Ron: Why is it negative ion?

Speaker C: Because it lost an electron and the.

Ron: Electrons have a charge of negative.

Ron: So if it lost a negatively charged electron, would it then have a negative it's a positive.

Ron: Right.

Ron: There we go.

Ron: That's the point we're trying to get to.

Ron: So what type of ions do metals form?

Speaker C: What were we just talking about?

Ron: Sodium.

Speaker C: So they form negative one?

Ron: No, they form positive.

Speaker C: They form positive metals, positive ions.

Ron: So what type of ion would lead form positive ion?

Ron: What type of ion would bromide form?

Ron: What type of ion is bromide?

Speaker C: Bromide is an other non metal.

Speaker C: So a negative ion.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: So which electrode are they going to go to?

Speaker C: Depends what you've googled.

Speaker C: But to my mind, the lead is going to go to the cathode and the bromide is going to go to the anode.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Very well done.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: The next thing that we're going to talk about, because that's honour.

Ron: I can't believe how long we've been doing this.

Speaker C: We're going to talk about is this biology?

Speaker C: No, this is chemistry.

Ron: Electrolysis to extract metals.

Speaker C: Electrolysis to extract metals.

Speaker C: All right.

Ron: Do you know the commonly used metal gold that electrolysis is used to extract?

Speaker C: It tin, maybe.

Ron: I don't know.

Ron: But it's aluminium as well.

Speaker C: All the fights gone out of you.

Ron: Electrolysis is used if the metal is too reactive to react with carbon, to be used to be reduced by carbon in the same way that like I.

Speaker C: It'S a rain episode.

Ron: Large amounts of energy large amounts of energy are used in the extraction process to melt the compounds and then produce the electrical current across it.

Ron: Okay.

Speaker C: No.

Speaker C: What?

Ron: We're using electrolysis to extract metals from their ores.

Ron: Okay.

Speaker C: Okay.

Speaker C: Why?

Ron: Because they're too reactive to be to use carbon.

Speaker C: It was too reactive, so we couldn't poke it.

Speaker C: And Ron, I know I can't learn extra when you do it in monotone.

Speaker C: Ron, we either need to stop or you need to pep.

Ron: It just really crashing.

Speaker C: Sick up your protein.

Speaker C: It's broken.

Speaker C: You.

Ron: Right.

Ron: When do we use electrolysis to extract metals?

Speaker C: Laura when they're too reactive because.

Ron: They react with the carbon.

Ron: You can't use carbon to reduce them.

Ron: Takes a lot of energy to do this because you have to first melt the metal, the metal ore, so that it's a liquid metal or what?

Ron: And then you have to apply an.

Speaker C: Electrical current across just a joke.

Speaker C: It was a joko.

Speaker C: Joko?

Speaker C: Joko.

Speaker C: Oh, no.

Speaker C: I demand stoppage.

Speaker C: If that doesn't tickle you, you are going to be a grump for the rest of the game.

Speaker C: So we're out.

Speaker C: If that's not even funsies for your tumsies, we're joko and then joko.

Speaker C: Oh, no.

Speaker C: Like Yoko Ono.

Ron: I've been watching a lot.

Ron: That Beatles documentary, yoko Ono is in it a lot.

Ron: It's very interesting.

Speaker C: Do you fancy her?

Ron: No.

Ron: She keeps doing this weird thing where.

Ron: She just screams.

Speaker C: I would scream, too if I was married to a beetle.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And he did like to hit her.

Speaker C: Oh, no.

Ron: Did Hennon wasn't a good person.

Speaker C: No.

Speaker C: Okay.

Ron: I believe her large amounts of energy are used in the extraction process to melt the compounds and then produce the electrical current.

Ron: Why would we apply an electrical current across the molten metal ore?

Speaker C: To fizz it about get the ions apart.

Ron: For electrolysis.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Because what forms at the cathode?

Speaker C: Positive metal ion the metal.

Ron: Yeah.

Speaker C: Talking to me like I'm a rubble heap.

Ron: It's not a bad analogy.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So aluminium is manufactured like this.

Ron: Remember owl?

Speaker C: Yuminium.

Speaker C: Imagine that tinfoil with owls on it.

Ron: That was weak.

Speaker C: A little owl in aluminium.

Speaker C: Foil armour I'm your night and shining armour twist sleep.

Speaker C: I do.

Ron: I was going to finish very soon.

Speaker C: And then I'm going to work.

Ron: You have a gig tonight?

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Christ.

Ron: Are you driving there?

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Worrying?

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: And this might be the last episode.

Speaker C: Imagine that all.

Ron: I think that's it, actually.

Ron: I think we can stop.

Speaker C: Okay.

Speaker C: What a lesson.

Speaker C: That went to all of the extremes, didn't it?

Ron: I liked the start.

Speaker C: Oh, f***.

Speaker C: I didn't write anything down again.

Speaker C: S***.

Speaker C: Oh, my God.

Speaker C: It's the worst note since I got the gel pens.

Speaker C: It's the worst.

Ron: What is it with you in the pop stand?

Speaker C: Is she kissing on the pop stand again?

Ron: That's how she just pushed the mic over.

Speaker C: She loves your pop stand.

Speaker C: That cat that came out very West Country.

Speaker C: She loves that pop star, that cat dinner.

Ron: I love her.

Ron: You like a pop stand by Tort.

Ron: This is the murder story of the most West Country man I've ever seen.

Speaker C: I don't know.

Ron: Podcast before it's when I was in Cornwall with some friends, like, 18 months ago, we were having breakfast, like a cafe, sat outside in the sun and there's, like, the most classic farmer man sat on the table next to us.

Ron: He's beetroot red from being in the sun too much and wearing, like, a faded baseball cap and an apropos of nothing.

Ron: He says to the people at his table, you know, the only good kind of rapper, a sweet rapper, and then everyone at the table greased themselves.

Ron: It was great.

Speaker C: Why does he hate rappers?

Ron: So, I mean, bad joke.

Ron: Farmers tan.

Ron: Implicit racist.

Speaker C: I love it.

Speaker C: It's just got everything.

Speaker C: Everything.

Speaker C: How are you, Ron?

Ron: I'm good.

Ron: How are you doing?

Speaker C: I'm all right.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Speaker C: Now.

Speaker C: Good Lord.

Speaker C: There are no notes.

Ron: We covered two fifths of f*** all in the last.

Speaker C: There are four words on my page.

Speaker C: There's a colon, though, which suggests I was intending to write more and never did.

Speaker C: Like, if I died, people would assume I was murdered mid lesson.

Speaker C: Because it looks like a clue to something.

Speaker C: It's not.

Ron: Do you remember what we were studying?

Speaker C: Electrolysis.

Ron: What are those four words?

Speaker C: Electrolysis inert lead bromide.

Speaker C: But I have managed to use about six different gel pens.

Ron: So we were doing electrolysis of molten ionic compounds, were we?

Ron: Yeah, we were.

Speaker C: But then mad at me about the electronic table.

Ron: Why mad at you?

Ron: Because yeah?

Ron: You didn't know what an ion is.

Ron: You didn't know anything.

Speaker C: Ion has charge.

Ron: So there's nine marks available in this question.

Speaker C: Christ.

Speaker C: Nine marks are four words.

Speaker C: Let's go.

Speaker C: Okay.

Ron: Come on, laura, first question.

Ron: What's the difference between an atom and an ion?

Speaker C: An ion has a charge.

Ron: Why?

Speaker C: Because it has gained or lost an electron.

Ron: What is a molecule?

Speaker C: A molecule is more than one atom in a collection.

Ron: I need more.

Speaker C: It's like a joining.

Speaker C: It's some bonded atoms.

Speaker C: At least two bonded atoms.

Ron: I need more.

Speaker C: I don't know anymore.

Speaker C: Bye.

Speaker C: Yucky.

Speaker C: Now Ron looks sad that she's gone.

Speaker C: She's gone.

Ron: Stare at the door, checking she's really gone.

Ron: Two atoms that are covalently bonded.

Speaker C: Oh, is a molecule covalent?

Ron: Yes, it is.

Ron: Dory.

Ron: What's an ionic compound?

Speaker C: That's some atoms that are joined via an ionic bond, which is where one atom gains or loses an electron to the other one.

Speaker C: And then they're chargingly.

Speaker C: Stuck together.

Ron: I'll give it to you.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Please explain what a row in the periodic table represents.

Speaker C: A row is an across her what it represents?

Ron: Yes.

Speaker C: How many rings it has.

Ron: How many electron shells.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Explain, please, what a column in the periodic table represents.

Speaker C: How many electrons are in the outermost ring.

Ron: Absolutely.

Ron: So how many electrons are in lithiuming outer shell?

Speaker C: She's lurking in the doorway over your shoulder.

Ron: No, she's facing the other way.

Speaker C: Oh, it's hard to tell.

Speaker C: She's a black cat.

Laura: Lithium.

Speaker C: Lithium has one electron in its outer shell.

Ron: How many electrons does fluorine have in its outer shell?

Speaker C: M.

Speaker C: And I have to skip the dip.

Speaker C: Right.

Speaker C: I think I have to skip the dip.

Speaker C: I think this is what, we round about seven.

Ron: Absolutely.

Ron: What's the definition of a metal?

Speaker C: Yeah, we argued about this.

Speaker C: Um, a metal is a metal is an element that forms a negative ion.

Ron: No, a positive ion.

Speaker C: F***.

Speaker C: Pretty good, though.

Ron: What is lithium a metal?

Speaker C: Yes.

Speaker C: Is.

Ron: So what kind of ion would lithium form?

Speaker C: Positive.

Speaker C: Because it's a metal.

Ron: But why would it form a positive ion?

Ron: See, this is the problem with modern schooling, is that when I'm asking you a straight question, fine, you can rattle that off.

Ron: But getting you to sort of use it a little bit just crumbles.

Speaker C: Why would that be?

Speaker C: Because is it because it's only got one electron in its outer shell?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: So it's easy for it to lose that electron, isn't it?

Speaker C: If you say so.

Ron: Because there's only one of them.

Speaker C: If there were two, would they hold hands and stay together?

Ron: No.

Speaker C: So why does there being one rather than two ones make a difference if they're both negative?

Ron: Do you actually want to know?

Speaker C: I can't be expected to remember things I don't understand.

Ron: Well, if you think remember we were doing it, we're sat at a table playing a board game.

Ron: Now, if you sat on your own, you're going to have a high propensity to go to someone else's table and play a board game with them.

Ron: Whereas at the other end of the scale, fluorine has got seven out of eight seats at its table full.

Ron: So it's quite easy for Fluorine to entice in play at its table.

Speaker C: Okay.

Ron: Yes.

Speaker C: Got you.

Ron: And when we do a level, I'll explain why, but not now.

Speaker C: I'm doing really well on this quiz.

Ron: You are?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Which really makes me wonder why you were being so thick and wrong last time.

Speaker C: I didn't think I was.

Ron: You were.

Ron: Which metal did we discuss that gets extracted by electrolysis?

Speaker C: Oh, yeah.

Speaker C: Well, bromide.

Speaker C: Come on, forwards.

Ron: No, it wasn't.

Ron: No, because bromide is not a metal, is it?

Ron: A, it's an ion, and B, it's an ion from bromine, which is in the same column I E group as fluorine and chlorine and iodine and astatine, none of which well, astaine might be a metal.

Ron: Actually, I'm not sure, but my point is no.

Speaker C: Well didn't get that one.

Ron: Aluminium.

Speaker C: Never heard of it.

Ron: That's the end of the quiz.

Ron: One on what happened last week, the rest on revision.

Speaker C: They got that one wrong.

Speaker C: What a terrible lesson you taught.

Speaker C: You should be very shamed of yourself.

Laura: Do you know what my favourite part of this episode was, Realm?

Ron: Was it the soundscape of gel pens?

Laura: Stop reading my notes.

Ron: I pretended I didn't know what the episode 50 was at the beginning.

Laura: Sorry.

Laura: Yeah, it was how much you could hear.

Laura: The gel pens, I just really enjoyed.

Laura: I could picture myself playing with them and trying to think of what answer you wanted.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: There is a lot of rattling in the background.

Laura: Rattling?

Ron: It was a rain episode.

Laura: Like, Belgium has been so dry lately.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Dry dry dry dry Belgium, dry spring Belgium.

Laura: Dry Belgium dry Belgium, dry Belgian beer.

Laura: But finally a rain episode and I was so nostalgic for it and you just basically ignored it.

Ron: It's rain.

Laura: Yeah, but I feel like so many of our early episodes were rain episodes and it was a really lovely thing.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: It's not something it was back and.

Laura: You just weren't even a bit nostalgic for the rain weather.

Ron: Sometimes it's sunny when we record.

Laura: Yeah, but that doesn't interrupt the pot.

Laura: Well, sometimes it does, because you get really hot and then you go, I'm so hot.

Laura: And your laptop words, hey, join the patron.

Laura: So we can afford better recordings.

Laura: That's so the weather doesn't affect it so much.

Laura: Yeah, basically, that's the end of it.

Laura: Join the patron.

Laura: Could you do that?

Speaker C: No.

Laura: What I was going to say is hey, look, we know that some of you just can't afford the patron and we totally understand.

Laura: Another thing you could do is leave us a review.

Laura: We got a lovely review this week that I loved, and it really made me feel good because I got all jealous.

Laura: Somebody else was thanking their patrons and they had, like, in the five digits of patrons, and I was just like.

Speaker C: Oh, for f***'s sake.

Laura: Why does nothing I do ever take off like that?

Laura: And then somebody left just this amazing, lovely review.

Laura: And I went back to my usual mode, which is, I know I don't make mainstream stuff, but I make stuff that people love.

Laura: So if you get a chance to leave a review, canada, I think, is currently winning in terms of popular reviews.

Laura: And Ireland, we have some lovely Irish reviews and some lovely Canadian reviews.

Laura: If you want to represent your country, jump on Apple podcasts.

Laura: Leave us a review.

Laura: Click the five button on Spotify.

Laura: Smash those reviews there.

Laura: Come on, let's do it.

Ron: Please.

Laura: Please.

Laura: Just want to make something wind twisting.

Ron: The building that we're in yeah, it's.

Speaker C: A dusty shack can you hear my baby starlings too?

Speaker C: I've got baby starlings.

Laura: They're in the roof of your hutch.

Laura: Yeah, there's also no curtains on the room.

Laura: We're making Ron sleep.

Laura: He's so tired.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Anyway, we love you very much, cook along with Ron, up now on the.

Ron: YouTube and happening in 32 minutes in real life.

Laura: Oh, God.

Laura: We need to get in there and clean the kitchen.

Laura: Pop quiz out this Friday.

Laura: We love you.

Laura: We hope you love us.

Ron: You are the patreon.

Laura: It's not in the notes.

Ron: I'm not connected to the Internet.

Laura: Well, then it's not in the f****** notes, is it?

Laura: You absolute bandwidth.

Ron: Look at us.

Ron: We can.

Laura: We should take a photo of this recording because it's so pathetic.

Speaker C: You know when people put out videos.

Laura: Of the podcast and it's like two dudes sat in little chairs with big headphones on absolute nonsense and just making each other laugh about what bros they are?

Laura: We should post videos of us squatting round of food on together.

Laura: No, I think it's got to go from the other direction once it gets your messy bed in the background.

Laura: Here we go.

Speaker C: We're taking this Victor live.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Anyway.

Speaker C: Thank you.

Laura: Pete Stanton.

Laura: Pete is Ron's window cleaner.

Laura: He waits until he hears that there's been a rain episode and then comes over so that they're mostly cleaner anyway and he doesn't have to work that hard.

Ron: Thank you to Jonathan Tompkins, who runs a little to Verna Off the Beaten path, and Sunny Mykonos, where they serve in exclusively the delicious dishes from the Cook Along Lexx education special.

Ron: They're not always packed with diners, but the regulars there are the best in the world.

Speaker C: Yeah.

Laura: Thank you very much.

Laura: To Becky Pogby.

Laura: Becky is in charge of checking blood pressure before and after records to make sure that neither Ron nor Laura burst a blood wrestle from blood Wrestle From Beige.

Laura: Blood wrestle from Beige was an early WWE wrestler who died actually of Tetanus.

Laura: So far, Becky has kept us both alive and we are intermittently grateful for that.

Ron: And finally, thank you to another Becky, this one with A-C-K-I-E who is a special NAN driver.

Laura: I still don't know how I feel about all that NAN shatter the top.

Laura: Like it's really disrespectful.

Laura: And it like outdid all my good genuine.

Laura: Anyway, have a lovely week, everyone.

Laura: Some people say awful stuff on podcasts and just don't give a s***.

Laura: And I just say I saw a funeral procession and then I'm like, should I edit the whole thing out?

Laura: God, I wish I thought less and cared less.

Laura: It'd just be so much easier.

Ron: Just flick the nurse, the V.

Ron: I.

Laura: Just want to be a little b******.

Laura: Maybe next week I'm going to be a little b******.

Ron: You want to be a blood wrestle?

Ron: I already said it.

Ron: Class.

Ron: The smear.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Bye.

Ron: F*** you.

Ron: Now we can't do a whole episode like this.

Speaker C: What are we gonna do?

Ron: I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment