Lexx Education - Episode Index

Episode 1 - Biology - A Lego Brick Full of Meccano                          Introduction to cells. Episode 2 - Chemistry - Bob Marley and th...

Tuesday 18 July 2023

Too Many Mixy Medicines

 Laura: Hello and welcome to another episode of Lexx Education, the only comedy podcast where a comedian is trying to GCSE science.

Laura: The combined syllabus from her normal nine year younger brother called Ron, who has a harmonica.

Laura: Haronika Haronika.

Laura: Hey, Haronika.

Laura: How you doing?

Ron: Good.

Laura: Have you just realised you didn't write the register?

Laura: Yeah, I'll stop the record while you write that.

Laura: H***, we're back.

Laura: He's done his job.

Laura: Put that down.

Laura: What are you doing?

Laura: No.

Laura: You're not going to play harmonica all the way through the intros.

Ron: No, but look, you can do it hands free so I can podcast while playing the harmonica.

Laura: No, Ron, you can't, because podcasting does not require you typing.

Laura: It's detrimental to the podcast.

Laura: Both of the things you're doing right now, you're supposed to be talking.

Ron: I could be really annoying with this.

Ron: Hands, breathe.

Ron: I don't think you're like imagine you bothering John with both hands.

Ron: What is screaming into our harmonica?

Ron: You're telling me this isn't an innovation?

Ron: You're interested?

Laura: I will take one for my birthday on the 20 eigth of September.

Laura: Thank you very much.

Laura: It's fun today because I was hungover and weird in the episode and you're hungover and weird today.

Laura: In fact, did you just swallow some of your own sick right now?

Ron: No, I burped I've got heartburn.

Ron: But look, I can yeah, because.

Laura: You drank your body weight yesterday.

Ron: I drank a lot of wine, yes.

Laura: And rum.

Ron: Yes.

Laura: I don't know what you were drinking when I left, but you were still going rum.

Laura: Rum.

Laura: Where's the rum gone?

Ron: And then, yes, I was drinking more rum in the barn.

Laura: And then we went to a wedding yesterday.

Ron: Some delightful boys kept buying me Jaeger bonds.

Laura: Hey.

Laura: Yeah, we went happy wedding day.

Laura: We went ham.

Ron: Yeah, we went ham at the wedding.

Ron: I went ham.

Laura: It's one thing to be ourselves in the main body of the don't blame.

Ron: You.

Ron: Don't know when I'm going to do it.

Ron: I don't have to raise it to my mouth.

Laura: It's our last name.

Laura: We're in record for a while.

Laura: Ron leaves tomorrow.

Laura: Goodbye, Ron.

Ron: Laura would be very sad about this, but we've spent too much time together and I think she's looking forward to some peace.

Laura: No.

Laura: I'm going to phone you every day to make you play minecraft with me.

Ron: And sometimes I will.

Laura: Ah.

Laura: At least three times a week.

Ron: I can't commit to that.

Laura: Why?

Ron: I don't have a television.

Laura: Yeah, that's a problem.

Laura: You need to get one.

Laura: Why were you wasting time buying a mattress today when you could have been buying television?

Ron: I'm going to be there for two weeks, Laura.

Ron: I said no to the more expensive delivery was 45 pounds, to be fair.

Laura: Yeah, but then you'd have a f****** bed.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Now you don't have a bed, but you have got 45 pounds is way less comfortable than a mattress.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: You're a fool.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Why did anyway, see, I might be s*** at signs, but I've got my f****** life together.

Laura: Was that the door?

Laura: It was the door.

Ron: Serious podcasting.

Laura: Mackie's home.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Anyway, where were we?

Ron: Listen to the episode.

Ron: It's about to happen.

Laura: It's chemistry.

Laura: We talk about chemistry.

Laura: I'm very cross with Ron about this episode.

Laura: You'll hear it.

Laura: We'll discuss afterwards.

Laura: Mackie welcome.

Ron: Yarping on the carpet.

Laura: She just can't drink very well.

Laura: Anyway, enjoy it.

Laura: Have a good time, everyone.

Laura: Okay, I'm recording.

Laura: Ron.

Ron: Hello.

Laura: Why are you being weird?

Ron: It's weird today because we usually do a quiz and usually intros and outros before this.

Ron: It's odd to just launch straight into an EP but quiet chair, same room episode and quiet bottle.

Laura: That was not quiet.

Laura: I don't think you know what quiet means.

Ron: Quite quiet.

Laura: Quite quiet.

Laura: I'm hungover.

Ron: Yeah, you're grumpy, but you're pretending that you're not.

Laura: I'm not pretending.

Laura: I'm not, you f***.

Laura: I am grumpy.

Laura: I'm hungover and I really want to try, but you're being really cagey and weird and it makes me suspicious and I think you've planned something.

Ron: No, I'm just on tiptoes because you're being kind of an a******.

Laura: Episode is weird.

Laura: What's going on in today's episode?

Laura: No, you're being sneaky face.

Laura: You are.

Ron: You're being rude and angry.

Laura: I'm hungover.

Ron: I'm hungover loads and I'm never mean to you.

Laura: Why are you hungover loads?

Laura: Do you secret drink?

Ron: No, it's just when I do drink, I binge drink.

Laura: Yeah, everybody does.

Laura: That's what drinking is.

Laura: Stop looking at me like that.

Laura: What's going on with you?

Laura: Are you alive?

Laura: You're alive.

Laura: You're fine.

Ron: I'm fine.

Laura: When I'm hungover, this is where my, like, dangerously dehydrated levels of life just tip into.

Laura: Umber yeah.

Ron: I haven't seen you drink any water today.

Laura: Why would I drink your hungover?

Laura: I've had coffee.

Laura: Yes, I have.

Ron: When did you have a coffee?

Laura: When I was out.

Laura: I've just been out for 3 hours.

Ron: Coffee.

Laura: I like coffee with hot chocolate in it.

Laura: Okay, you've had a hot chocolate with coffee in it.

Ron: Coffee also dehydrates you, though.

Laura: How?

Ron: It's a diuretic.

Laura: What does that mean?

Laura: Means you p*** more when I drink water?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Because that's filled you up with water.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: So what is the point of drinking water when you're just p****** loads?

Ron: Because you absorb some of it.

Laura: I don't think you absorb very much, though.

Ron: Yeah, you absorb enough if you drink enough.

Laura: No, because if I drink a cup of water, I pierce like more than a cup of water.

Ron: That's not true.

Laura: It is true.

Ron: You get water from your food as well.

Laura: Well, then why am I drinking?

Ron: To talk yourself off.

Laura: I think it's stupid.

Laura: Is it chemistry today?

Ron: Yeah, which is weird.

Ron: Again.

Ron: Weird EP.

Ron: Because we did physics last week.

Laura: Yeah, with Dar.

Laura: No, we didn't.

Laura: We did biology last week.

Laura: We did photosynthesis.

Laura: Dara's gone out today.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: The last record we did was physics with Dara.

Ron: O'Brien, my finger is really dirty.

Ron: Yeah, and you've just pulled that out of your eye?

Laura: All that dirt was in my eye.

Laura: It's makeup from last night.

Laura: I dribble so much when I'm hungover, it's like the sides of my mouth get floppy.

Laura: I'm going to water the garden later.

Laura: Maybe I'll have a drink then.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Can hear your dog flapping her gum somewhere.

Ron: I was playing minecraft with the sister of the podcast yesterday.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Then her husband kept walking into the room and just saying, ron, you're so reliable.

Ron: That's what I love about you.

Laura: You are reliable.

Laura: Ron.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: I think people love your steady, calming hand.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Are you recording that?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: We didn't want to go upstairs in case it disturbed her.

Laura: Do you want to be in the podcast?

Laura: Husband of the podcast is here.

Laura: He's not hungover or grumpy.

Laura: Hi, Tom.

Ron: Hello, everyone.

Laura: How are you?

Ron: Really good.

Ron: Do you want to learn some chemistry?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: We're doing the rate and extent of chemical change today.

Laura: Sounds like it's going to be maths.

Ron: A bit of maths.

Laura: F***.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So.

Laura: I'm hungover.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Dori's being really mean.

Laura: I'm not being mean.

Laura: He's planned something weird, I can feel it.

Laura: Look at his eyes.

Ron: I'm uncomfortable because you're being horrible.

Laura: I'm not being horrible.

Ron: Are you being a bit horrible?

Laura: No.

Ron: Are you being assertive about how you feel?

Laura: No.

Laura: All I've done is Ron wouldn't do the sound cheque.

Laura: And I said, Ron, can you please just do the sound cheque?

Laura: And he went.

Ron: Right, well, I'm going to supervise.

Ron: Be nice to each other.

Ron: You're a grey old crone.

Laura: He whispered, I'm a grey old crone?

Ron: I didn't hear that.

Ron: I did say learn about chemistry.

Laura: I feel sad now because you call me a grey old crone.

Laura: Call me a beautiful young woman, please.

Laura: To balance it.

Ron: You're a beautiful young woman.

Laura: Technicolour beautiful young woman.

Ron: Many colours.

Laura: I am a many colours butterfly.

Laura: Oh, quick reference there to a children's book that I've read 50,000 times.

Ron: Boy, girl, house.

Ron: Anyway, chemical reactions, Laura, do they all happen at the same speed or they happen at different speeds?

Ron: This should be quickfire.

Laura: From the emphasis you put on the words.

Laura: I'm going to say same reaction speeds.

Ron: Are you kidding?

Laura: Because you went different speeds.

Laura: Like, don't say that one.

Ron: You think everything happens at the exact.

Laura: Same speed in.

Ron: Do you understand how emphasis works?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: He went different speed, like don't I.

Ron: Didn'T say this one.

Laura: No.

Ron: Like dark side.

Laura: Not now, because you're staring at me and he's gone.

Laura: Are you curtain.

Laura: Can I have some water?

Laura: Because I'm dehydrated.

Laura: Thank you.

Laura: So the different speeds, don't try and.

Ron: Do it based off because I think you're not good with people.

Ron: So I don't think you should be trying to do this based off the way that I'm saying things you don't.

Laura: Think I'm good with.

Laura: That's my main thing.

Ron: No, it's not.

Laura: What's my thing, then?

Ron: Being up on a stage away from people.

Laura: I go connecting with people.

Ron: No.

Ron: Performing in front of people.

Laura: Connecting with them.

Ron: Why are my performance no, that's not what's happening.

Laura: Oh, no.

Ron: They're not your friends.

Laura: No.

Ron: And you despise them.

Laura: No, I don't.

Laura: I just like them at a distance.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: You're not good with them.

Laura: Not face to face.

Laura: No.

Laura: That's horrible.

Ron: No, but we're face to face right now.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: You're not good with people, but you're not people.

Laura: You're wrong.

Ron: Yeah, I'm people.

Laura: Nah.

Laura: So what's happening?

Laura: Different speeds.

Ron: So what I'm saying is, don't try and work it out based off how I'm talking, because that's no good for.

Laura: You, no good for me.

Laura: I don't need nobody.

Ron: Think about the content of what I'm saying and then consider that.

Laura: So hang on, what was the question?

Ron: Do you think all chemical reactions happen at the same speed or do you think some happen at different speeds?

Laura: What's a chemical reaction?

Laura: Like vinegar with bicarbonate soda or something?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: That's a chemical reaction.

Laura: Yeah, I guess.

Laura: Different speeds, then.

Laura: Different speeds, I'd say.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Probs.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: Ding.

Laura: Takes different speeds to rule the world.

Laura: Yes, it does.

Ron: Can you think of different speed shut.

Laura: Ups to rule the world?

Ron: Can you think of a reaction that happens quickly?

Laura: Running.

Ron: That's not a reaction, that's exercise.

Laura: Is that mackie?

Laura: No, it's my cardigan reaction.

Laura: That happens quickly.

Ron: Burning combustion.

Ron: That can happen very quickly.

Laura: Can't you just say burning?

Ron: No.

Laura: You've been so aggressive.

Laura: You are.

Laura: You're not blinking.

Ron: No.

Ron: You're not good at this.

Laura: You're the one that's always like, we're so close to each other.

Ron: Yeah, because you're clammy and close.

Laura: How can I be dehydrated and clammy?

Ron: It's all coming out.

Ron: Gunk through your pores.

Ron: Because you've not flushed yourself through half loads of showers.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Not internally.

Laura: There's water there.

Ron: You've not drunk any of it.

Ron: It's horrible.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Burning.

Ron: Combustion.

Laura: Combustionable engine.

Ron: That's one.

Ron: Another thing would be what's a slow one?

Ron: What's a slow reaction?

Laura: Rusting.

Ron: Rusting is a really good example, Laura.

Ron: Well done.

Laura: Iron oxide.

Ron: Now, those things, ferrous, metals, things don't burn at the same rate that they rust, do they?

Ron: Do they?

Laura: No.

Ron: So different speeds.

Laura: Different speeds to rule the world.

Ron: Now, what things do you think what different things do you.

Laura: Hello, mackie?

Ron: Mackie, what different things do you think could affect the rate of a reaction?

Laura: Temperature.

Ron: Yep.

Ron: And oxygen availability, if oxygen's part of that.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So extrapolate.

Ron: That.

Laura: Do you know the word extrapolate makes me think of those trampolines on the beach that people get strapped into a harness and bounce on.

Laura: I think that should be called extrapolating.

Laura: Like trampolining in a strap.

Laura: Extrapolating.

Laura: What does it mean?

Laura: Make it bigger.

Laura: Go out.

Ron: I thought you were good with words.

Laura: Yeah, I'm checking.

Ron: I just mean make it bigger.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Make the idea bigger.

Laura: Go out with it.

Ron: Sort of take the same premise and extend it.

Laura: Extrapolate.

Ron: Don't grind gel pens against your teeth.

Laura: Quantity of chemical in the reaction.

Ron: Yeah, quantity of reactants.

Ron: Anything else?

Laura: Catalyst.

Ron: Catalyst, really good one.

Ron: Yep.

Ron: What's a catalyst?

Laura: Tabby, mr.

Laura: Fluffles.

Laura: Snoops.

Laura: Tiggy Longkel.

Laura: What's?

Ron: Tiggy long.

Laura: Could be a name for cat.

Laura: I need a nap.

Laura: So tired today.

Laura: Went to two parties yesterday, Ron.

Laura: You didn't go to any parties?

Ron: No.

Laura: Yeah, partyless boy.

Laura: No parties for you.

Laura: Party boy.

Laura: Party what are you saying?

Ron: What's a catalyst?

Laura: Catalyst.

Ron: It's not Tibby long.

Laura: Catalyst is a thing that helps.

Laura: It's like makes a little station for a party to happen at.

Laura: It does, it sets off the thing, it's like the crack on.

Laura: Here you go.

Laura: I'm a catalyst.

Ron: Yeah, but what's kind of the defining thing of a catalyst?

Ron: Small.

Ron: Don't know.

Ron: No, it's something that speeds up a reaction and is used in the reaction, but then is not used up.

Ron: So you'll have the same amount of catalyst at the end of the reaction that you do at the beginning, but it speeds things up.

Laura: Crikey it.

Ron: Okay, catalyst, great one.

Ron: Can you think of anything else that would affect the rate of a reaction?

Laura: I've forgotten what the beginning of the list was.

Ron: Yeah, because you've not really taken any notes or anything down.

Laura: I didn't know that this was I thought this was like summarising so far.

Laura: Is this the lesson?

Ron: It's all the lesson.

Laura: Okay, grumpy.

Ron: Catalyst summaries tend to happen at the.

Laura: End of things, but sometimes you summarise what we did last time and then I make loads of good.

Ron: Have we done this before?

Laura: I don't know, have we?

Ron: No.

Ron: Starting a new chapter.

Ron: The rate and extent of chemical change.

Laura: In a reaction.

Laura: So what notes should I have taken?

Laura: What's this list?

Laura: We've done, we've done.

Laura: Speed of light, no temperature, availability of reactants.

Laura: Rust.

Laura: The rust belt of reactants.

Laura: Oh, my hands aren't working.

Ron: No, you're holding that pen.

Ron: Weird.

Laura: Catalyst.

Ron: Yes.

Laura: What about volatility of the reactants?

Ron: Okay, define volatility for me, how volatile they are.

Ron: Why would that change something?

Ron: What does volatile, what do you think volatile mean?

Laura: Like if they're one of the ones with all the really far out electrons, the losey easy ones, they react quicker, so they're more volatile.

Ron: So I'm going to be really generous and the activation energy of a reaction would affect it?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: What has that got to do with what I said?

Ron: Yeah, really generous.

Ron: You're talking about basically how easily something can react that's activation energy.

Laura: Activation energy?

Ron: The lower activation energy, the reaction is going to happen quicker.

Ron: If it's got a higher activation energy, you need to get more energy together into one spot before the reaction can happen.

Ron: When we have talked about things such as exchange surfaces, what has been lungs.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: What's a defining thing of lungs?

Laura: Bigger the better.

Ron: Bigger what?

Laura: Bigger eyes to eat you with, grandma.

Laura: Bigger exchange surface, the more space there is to have the party exchange surface.

Ron: Surface area?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: What surface area?

Laura: Why are you being so rude today?

Ron: You're just very thin skinned.

Ron: Surface area.

Laura: More surface area.

Laura: More reaction speed.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: If you think about it, if you wanted to dissolve something, if you just put an egg sized nugget into some water, that's going to take a while NUG, that's going to take a while to dissolve.

Ron: Whereas if you put a powder in, that's going to dissolve.

Laura: Like entropy.

Ron: Quicker, quicker.

Ron: I wonder if the microphone can pick up.

Ron: Tom just laughing.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Yes, all of that makes sense.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Cool, cool.

Ron: So chemical reactions, are they one way.

Laura: Or do they go both ways?

Laura: We're going to get you, get you, get you, get you one way.

Laura: Maybe next week.

Laura: Who are you texting?

Laura: Who are you texting?

Ron: People.

Laura: People?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Friends?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Friendos.

Laura: New friendos.

Laura: Old friendos.

Ron: New friendos.

Laura: New friendos.

Laura: I haven't even got my phone.

Ron: Probably left it at the cafe, didn't you?

Laura: Maybe.

Laura: What was the question?

Ron: Yeah, I was distracted by you texting.

Ron: Shut up.

Ron: Are chemical reactions one way or reversible?

Laura: Depends.

Ron: It does depend, yeah.

Ron: You can't unburn.

Ron: Why are you pulling your hair out?

Laura: It's just coming out at the moment.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Crone.

Laura: Don't say crone.

Laura: Don't say crone to me.

Laura: That's too much hair to have just come out, isn't it?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: That's not good.

Ron: No, it's probably because you never drink water.

Laura: Why is hair's not even made of water?

Ron: It's drying up.

Ron: The roots of the hair there's, crumbling out.

Ron: People are obsessed with water sloughing off.

Laura: I just don't think I need as much water as you.

Ron: Well, no, you don't, because I'm cool and massive.

Ron: So where?

Laura: I took water with me to the cafe, but I didn't put the lid on properly and it spilled out all over the true story.

Ron: Where Laura?

Ron: Where do you think?

Ron: It's really important to know about chemical reactions and the rate of which they happen.

Laura: Cooking?

Ron: Yep.

Laura: In a power station.

Ron: Why?

Laura: She probably got lots of chemicals there.

Ron: Such as?

Laura: Sulfuric acid.

Laura: Why would there be sulfuric acid in batteries?

Ron: Why would there be batteries at a power station?

Laura: Torches and stuff.

Laura: Because if the power station breaks down, you have to go and put it back on again.

Ron: But they wouldn't be making their own.

Laura: Batteries, they've been making them.

Ron: But if the power station goes down, then we're going to lose power everywhere.

Ron: So why is it born now?

Ron: We're at the power station.

Ron: But you could have just said batteries.

Laura: So what do you want me to say?

Laura: Where are their chemicals?

Laura: Where's?

Ron: It like measure the rate of chemical reactions and know the limiting factors upon them.

Laura: Hospitals.

Laura: Tom, can you stop laughing?

Laura: It's not kind for that to happen.

Ron: You're going to have to stop talking entirely.

Laura: Hospitals, because you can't give people too many mixy medicines.

Laura: You have to know how they react to each other space, like a NASA factories.

Ron: Factories.

Ron: Probably the key one not in the batteries.

Laura: In a hospital.

Laura: Hospital was a good answer.

Laura: Like a pharmacy.

Laura: They say don't don't take those together.

Laura: Okay, cool.

Laura: Factories, then.

Laura: A factory.

Laura: A factory.

Laura: I didn't know.

Ron: So, in industry, it's important to understand the effect of all of the different variables that we've put in there, okay?

Ron: Because some things can you get rid of all this nest of hair around you?

Ron: It's really off putting.

Ron: Where were we the other day when someone had shaved their pubes in a urinal?

Ron: Was that?

Ron: In Bruges?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: It wasn't me.

Ron: Tom there were so many pubes in that urinal.

Laura: Man.

Ron: What are you drawing?

Laura: Factory.

Ron: That looks more like a church.

Laura: It doesn't.

Ron: It does.

Laura: Well, it isn't.

Ron: It looks like a rocket church.

Laura: I told you I hung over.

Laura: My drawings are not going to be their usual accent quality today.

Ron: It looks a bit like something you'd put in a fish tank.

Laura: Well, it's a factory, so there so in industry laura.

Ron: Laura.

Ron: Yeah, folks up.

Laura: Yeah, Laura, I'm listening.

Ron: In industry, you need to understand the effect.

Laura: That bit in beach is where Bette Midler's in that musical about industry.

Ron: She got Betty Midler eyes and she needs you she'll squeeze you, hop a gas just against you she's precocious she.

Laura: Knows just what it takes to make a toothbrush now, look, this is Tom's favourite lyric in any song ever.

Laura: All the boys think she's got Betty.

Ron: Davis thighs now, Laura in industry industry, they need to understand the effect of.

Laura: All of these laura ow.

Laura: Don't flick.

Ron: You said ow before I flick.

Laura: I knew you were going to flick me.

Ron: Focus up.

Ron: I've been trying to get through this.

Ron: They need to understand the effect of these different variables on the chemical reaction that they are doing in the factory that they're working in, because some making chemicals.

Ron: Because in some reactions, you need to find the balance between doing it quickly and doing it well.

Ron: Because let's say that you've got a really simple chemical process where we mix chemical A and chemical B to make chemical C, okay?

Ron: And then let's say that there's a byproduct.

Laura: Chemical D, my chemical baby chemical D.

Laura: Chemical D sounds like a euphemism for spunk.

Ron: No, it doesn't.

Laura: Stop looking at Tom for confirmation, showing off in front of your friends.

Ron: I'm not begging my friends for help.

Ron: So we want chemical C.

Ron: We want as little chemical D as possible.

Laura: Why?

Ron: Because it's a byproduct.

Laura: Okay, but we're adding together chemicals A and B.

Laura: Is that what you said?

Ron: Yes.

Laura: Chem A.

Laura: Hang on.

Laura: Chem A.

Ron: It's just in the illustrative example.

Ron: You don't need to write this down.

Ron: It doesn't mean anything.

Ron: Why have you ticked kem?

Laura: Because that's the one we want.

Ron: This isn't going to make any sense next week.

Ron: What was the point in the cross?

Ron: If you're going to draw an arrow that's pointing it at a bit where it says less please.

Laura: You're not allowed to dictate how the notes go.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: No, but I can ruthlessly critique them while I'm in the same room as you.

Ron: I wasn't even close.

Ron: So we want as much chemical C as we can get.

Laura: Yes, I've written that down.

Ron: Christ.

Ron: I'm just telling the sentence again because you interrupted me last.

Laura: You interrupted me, you were flicking so.

Ron: What you often get into is a situation where the higher temperature we do this at, the quicker the reaction happens.

Ron: But let's say if we do it 100 degrees, we get 80 grammes of chemical C and 20 grammes of chemical D, and it takes an hour.

Ron: But if we did it at 40 degrees, we'd get 99% chemical C and only 1% chemical D.

Ron: But that might take 24 hours or something.

Ron: So a lot of these things are about working out what the optimal thing is so that you get a good rate of a good yield, but you're not waiting all day because time's money and we're talking about industry here.

Ron: Chemists.

Ron: Chemists, right.

Ron: Do you understand that just summarise everything we've done so far.

Ron: Just real quick.

Laura: You just got to find the balance that works for you.

Laura: Really?

Laura: You got a long time, or do you want it a bit faster?

Laura: Change a variable, get the one you want.

Laura: Yeah, my eyes feel spicy.

Ron: You look ill.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Feel ill?

Laura: Yeah, I've got vinegary little eyes.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: What do you think the formula for working out the rate of a reaction is?

Laura: Temperature plus time plus stuff like reactants times surface area equals results.

Ron: Okay, let's work that through.

Ron: So let's say we're doing something at 80 degrees Celsius.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: We've got 100 grammes of reactants.

Ron: Why have you written 80%.

Laura: What is it?

Laura: Degrees.

Ron: Degrees Celsius?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: What was the rest of the thing you said?

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: Now.

Ron: If you're in a little D.

Laura: Remember how to do temperatures?

Ron: What's?

Laura: Not a D for degree?

Ron: D for celsius.

Laura: D for degree.

Laura: These.

Laura: You stopped putting gel pens because you threw all my gel pens on the floor.

Ron: You threw a handful of gel pens.

Laura: At my because you said the one I threw originally missed and it did.

Laura: Well, then.

Ron: Okay, so, Christ, this was your formula.

Ron: So what else did you need?

Laura: What are you doing?

Ron: What's the rate of reaction?

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: Ron, you need to help me.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: What do you think the formula for it is?

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: Do I?

Ron: Just have a guess.

Laura: I thought I did.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And I said, yeah, okay, let's work it through.

Laura: But you didn't remember what I said.

Ron: No.

Ron: It's really clearly quite f****** wrong.

Ron: So what does rate mean?

Laura: Grade?

Ron: Does it.

Laura: Like, rate my plate grade?

Ron: It what does rate mean in this context?

Laura: Rate, like gradient?

Laura: What rate is it happening?

Laura: What light slope?

Ron: No.

Laura: What's the rate of a thing is?

Laura: Like, how steep is it?

Laura: How fast is it going?

Ron: How fast it's going?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: How much over how much time?

Laura: How much over how much time?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Like a slope.

Ron: Why a slope?

Laura: Like a little graph, you know, it's.

Ron: Just weird that you've made that leap, because you hate graphs.

Laura: I don't hate graphs.

Ron: They hate you.

Laura: I just think sometimes you ask me to draw graphs unfairly.

Ron: So in this context, the rate of reaction, what are we trying to work out?

Laura: How much of the thing we're getting at the end?

Laura: How much chemc we're getting?

Ron: Would that be a rate?

Ron: Would that be.

Laura: Understand, what you're asking of me?

Laura: And I'm trying really hard.

Ron: You really sounded like Bridget Christie then.

Laura: Bridget Christie?

Laura: She's got a new sitcom out.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I like Bridget Christie.

Laura: Should we watch it together?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: And then have a chat about it afterwards.

Ron: She married a Stuart Lee.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: That's a cool couple.

Laura: Yeah, I'm in a cool couple.

Ron: Not really.

Ron: Bridget Christie and Stuart Lee, though, are.

Laura: No, we're not.

Ron: So, yeah.

Ron: By the rate of reaction, what are we actually trying to work out?

Laura: Record.

Ron: You're just broken.

Laura: Our feet.

Laura: Touched the what?

Laura: What's the question?

Laura: Ask them once more and I'm going to get it this time.

Laura: You can't just have a question.

Ron: What does rate of reaction mean?

Ron: What are we trying to find out?

Laura: Oh, how quickly the reaction happens.

Ron: Yeah, basically.

Ron: So what's the formula for that?

Ron: What do we need to know to work that out?

Laura: The time.

Ron: The time that is taken and the.

Laura: Amount of stuff we had.

Ron: Yep, exactly.

Ron: So what would the formula be?

Laura: Stuff divided by time?

Ron: Yes, Laura.

Ron: Not temperature plus reactants plus surface area.

Laura: I wasn't saying plus, like, add them together.

Laura: I was like, these will be in the mix somewhere.

Ron: They're not.

Laura: They must be, because you said they all had an effect.

Ron: They do all have an effect.

Laura: There you go.

Laura: They're in the mix somewhere.

Ron: But the speed of which a car runs a race is dependent on the engine and lots of other factors, but that doesn't mean that you need those things to calculate how quickly it did a race.

Ron: Does it?

Laura: Do it?

Ron: Do it?

Laura: No, but that's just because they are part of what the race is.

Laura: What are you doing?

Laura: What are you doing?

Laura: What is that?

Ron: That's the thing that I'm quoting every time I say do it.

Laura: Oh, what is it?

Ron: It's from Star Wars Revenge of the Sith.

Ron: The third one, when Anakin kills Christopher Lee and he's like, oh, maybe I shouldn't kill him.

Ron: And then Emperor, he's like, do it.

Laura: So I've run out of hula hoops.

Ron: You run out of lunch hoops.

Ron: So there's two different ways that we can calculate the rate of reaction, right.

Ron: One of which one of which is starting with the quantity of reactant.

Ron: So we could say that the rate of reaction it's using up six milligrammes of chemical a per second.

Ron: Right.

Ron: The other way is product formed.

Ron: So we could say, right, we're producing a yield of 100 tonnes.

Ron: I love the word yield of chemical C per second.

Ron: Understand?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Cool.

Ron: Quantity of the reaction or product can be measured in two things hazardous, your.

Laura: Hands or a beaker.

Laura: milligrammes and millilitres.

Ron: Why would it be milligrammes?

Laura: Because you just said milligrammes.

Ron: I think I said micrograms.

Laura: No, I think you said milligrammes.

Ron: Maybe I did, but no, it's grammes.

Ron: Grammes or volume centimetres cubed.

Ron: So what, Laura, is the unit of the rate of reaction.

Laura: Grammes per second.

Ron: Very good, very good.

Ron: Higher tier students such as yourself, Laura.

Laura: Me also should be able to bring me a higher tier.

Laura: Bring me a higher tier, because I'm.

Ron: So science smart, should be able to talk about reactants in terms of moles.

Ron: Moles?

Laura: That's why they say other things, moles.

Ron: So, Laura, we had 128 grammes of chemical A, all of which was gone after a minute and a half not be on.

Ron: What was the rate of reaction?

Ron: What rate did it happen at?

Laura: What's in there's?

Ron: This is a classic episode.

Ron: The fans are going to eat this up.

Laura: Oh, God.

Laura: 128 divided by 90.

Laura: Sums about white.

Laura: How about that?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: What was that about?

Laura: 1.41.4 songs about white.

Laura: Songs about white.

Laura: 1.42.

Laura: F****** smashed my b*** off with that sum.

Ron: Well done.

Laura: Sounds about right.

Ron: What do you think?

Ron: Okay, new page.

Ron: New page, Laura.

Laura: No.

Ron: New page.

Laura: Why?

Ron: All right, then find a space on this page that means there's draw some axis.

Ron: Draw an axis for the graph.

Laura: No more graphs.

Laura: Wrong.

Laura: I'm going to do it in this ugly brown pen.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Why have you done it so badly?

Laura: Why is that bad?

Laura: It's the f****** axes.

Ron: Because look at it.

Ron: Why have you scribbled?

Laura: The pen wasn't working.

Ron: You're a bad student.

Laura: No, I'm not.

Ron: Try really hard doesn't mean you're good.

Laura: F*** you.

Laura: F*** you all.

Laura: F*** you.

Laura: I hate you.

Ron: So.

Ron: Laura.

Laura: F*** off.

Ron: Laura.

Laura: F*** off.

Ron: Laura.

Laura: F*** off.

Ron: You're about to get flicked again.

Laura: Say kind things, you're nice.

Laura: One more.

Ron: You're not grey.

Ron: Laura.

Laura: Yes, Ron?

Ron: X axis is time.

Laura: Stop making that clicking noise.

Laura: I hate.

Laura: It.

Ron: Really boring.

Laura: Pardon?

Ron: It's really boring.

Ron: Just nag, nag, nag.

Ron: The Y axis is going to be amount of product created in grammes.

Ron: So let's say that our reaction is happening at a steady temperature.

Ron: What do you think a graph showing product created against time would look like?

Laura: Just diagonal line, top left, go top right, bam.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Is that what you think?

Ron: Talk me through it.

Ron: Why?

Laura: Because just more time, more product at a steady rate.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Why wouldn't it?

Ron: Any of the factors that affect the rate of reaction changing?

Laura: Don't know.

Laura: You said not to worry about them.

Ron: No, I didn't.

Ron: I said at a steady so.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So it's steady at a steady temperature.

Laura: Yes, Ron.

Ron: At a steady temperature.

Ron: Not a steady.

Ron: Everything.

Laura: What do you want?

Laura: What do you want from me?

Ron: Don't answer the question.

Ron: Eh?

Laura: All right, they're not steady.

Laura: What do you think it would look like?

Laura: I told you what I thought it would look like and you're just staring at me.

Ron: No, I'm not.

Ron: I'm conversing with you and you're wrong.

Ron: It's wrong, then.

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: Do I ever think it through a bit more?

Laura: Wiggly.

Laura: Take a look at the list.

Ron: Stop saying wiggly.

Laura: A flat line down.

Ron: Take a look at the list.

Laura: A list on a different page.

Ron: Take a look at the list of.

Laura: Things stab in the table.

Ron: Which ones of these are changing as the reaction goes on?

Laura: I don't know.

Ron: Look at them.

Ron: Get it in your knucklehead.

Laura: None of them.

Ron: Really?

Laura: Activation IoD has changed.

Ron: No, it's the same reaction, isn't it?

Laura: I don't f****** know.

Ron: It is.

Ron: I didn't say temperature is the same reaction changes halfway through.

Ron: Goes from being goes from being a fire to being something rusting.

Laura: My answer is none of them.

Ron: Why would I keep pressing this if it was none of them?

Laura: Don't ask me for an answer.

Laura: Get my answer and then thick me when that was my answer.

Ron: Nobody thicked you but yourself and your thick head.

Ron: Run me through the list of them and tell me that they're not changing.

Laura: Temperature stays the same.

Ron: Yep.

Laura: Availability reactants.

Laura: They're there catalyst wait, but doesn't change.

Ron: Is the availability of the reactions the reactants not changing?

Laura: No.

Ron: Why not?

Ron: They're getting used up.

Laura: Aren't we pumping them in?

Ron: No.

Laura: Well, you didn't tell me that.

Laura: Why would we be pumping them in?

Laura: Because it's a factory.

Ron: No.

Ron: You take a set amount of something.

Laura: You mix you didn't say that.

Ron: That's assumed.

Laura: F****** not assumed.

Laura: I thought I was picturing a factory with pumps coming in.

Laura: No, you need to be clearer.

Ron: So with that in mind embarrassingly in.

Laura: Front of my daughter.

Ron: Now have a go.

Laura: Why?

Laura: All right.

Laura: It's a mountain.

Laura: It's going to make a mountain, is it?

Laura: Yes.

Ron: What do you mean?

Laura: They're going to react and then they're going to stop reacting.

Laura: A mountain.

Ron: But it's the amount of product on the Y axis, isn't it?

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: Ron.

Laura: Yeah, big o, baby.

Ron: We can stop.

Laura: I don't know what you I want.

Ron: You to draw a line on this graph that illustrates the thing that I've.

Laura: Asked you to illustrate, and you just keep shouting at me, no, you tried.

Ron: And I said, no, that's not right.

Laura: But you don't say, no, it's not right.

Laura: You go thick piece of b**** witch.

Laura: Get out of your swamp brain and stop sucking boots.

Ron: That's podcast and again.

Laura: When I get.

Ron: Flustered or we can stop.

Laura: Oh, you're threatening your toys out of the hard boat.

Laura: You have to just the podcast is also me trying and I hate this.

Ron: No, I'm not threatening to quit the podcast, but we can stop recording.

Ron: We're at like, 40 minutes.

Ron: We don't have to keep going.

Laura: I don't know what you want from me.

Ron: Yes, you do.

Ron: Draw the line on the thing.

Laura: Have every line on planet Earth.

Laura: What do you want?

Laura: Like a flat line and down.

Laura: A flat line and up.

Ron: Start at this corner.

Laura: Oh, Christ.

Laura: There you go.

Ron: Okay, we'll be calm then for a bit.

Ron: Start at this corner and think it through as f****** what?

Ron: Draw more axes.

Laura: Oh, my God.

Ron: Laura.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Bring it down a notch.

Laura: You bring it down.

Ron: I have.

Ron: Listen to my calm tones.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Start in the corner and then think it through.

Ron: As more product gets created, what's going to happen to the rate of reaction?

Ron: Well, it's not straight, isn't it?

Ron: Didn't we just have like one long conversation about how it's not going to do that?

Ron: So try again, but like, use your head.

Laura: I don't know what you want.

Laura: Wrong.

Ron: So as time goes on, are we going to lose rate?

Ron: No, but this isn't rate.

Laura: Oh, my God.

Laura: You just said it was rape.

Ron: It's product again.

Ron: It's going down, isn't it?

Ron: But we're not losing product.

Laura: Me.

Laura: Is that better?

Laura: You want this gold one because it's nice.

Laura: Just nice for you.

Laura: Same, please.

Ron: Close, close.

Laura: So three pages of notes for this s***.

Ron: Not worth the paper is written on.

Ron: Hello, indeed.

Ron: Right, so we start at this corner.

Ron: As time goes on, the availability of reactants is going to decrease, isn't it?

Laura: If we're not pumping them in, we're.

Ron: Not pumping them in.

Ron: We're not pumping them in.

Ron: So as time goes on, it's going to drop and then eventually they're all going to be used up.

Ron: So we've got a have drawn that, this one.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Yes, I said close.

Ron: But the only difference is that you've done quite a sharp corner there, whereas it's more of a curve, isn't it?

Laura: Sure it is.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: I said surely.

Ron: Right, lesson over.

Laura: I can't believe that's the first tick and balls in the book.

Laura: Lord, my blood pressure right now.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: Ron von quizzing.

Ron: Hello.

Ron: Haral, haral, haral.

Laura: We're doing impressions there of child of the podcast who has recently learned to hold a phone up to her ear and say hurrah.

Laura: It's delightful.

Ron: Okay, we're going to do a quiz.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: Are you all right?

Laura: You're looking right into the setting sun.

Laura: Do you want me to shut the curtain?

Ron: In more ways than one.

Ron: To looking into the setting, shutting the curtain.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: That was euphemistic and I hated it.

Ron: Yes, we're doing a quiz.

Ron: There's six things, six answers.

Laura: Six, okay.

Ron: And I'll give you a letter grade for the last one.

Laura: Oh, you're going to make me talk a paragraph?

Ron: I'm not going to make you talk a paragraph, but I am just going to make you answer a question.

Laura: Just so that you know, by the way, listeners, ron and I have officially spent too much time together.

Ron: We're getting crabby.

Laura: Whoa.

Laura: Ron has become sassy.

Laura: Particularly when he has a Minecraft controller in his hand.

Laura: He has become a sassy pants.

Ron: Yep.

Laura: And I have morphed into my.

Ron: Everyone'S.

Laura: Ganging up on me.

Laura: You were ganging up on me.

Ron: You murdered were just being a t***.

Laura: And if two of you are calling me a t***, that's ganging.

Ron: No.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Not if you've made your own little t***.

Laura: How come when Megan stole your stuff, you weren't furious at all?

Ron: Megan didn't steal my stuff.

Laura: She does steal your stuff all the time.

Ron: Not blatantly in front of you.

Laura: You've been sleeping in my bed.

Laura: Minecraft, by the way, for, like, three.

Ron: Doesn't use up the bed.

Laura: Well, arrows don't get used up.

Laura: You've got a chicken farm and I'm providing flint and iron.

Ron: You're not providing those things to me.

Laura: I am providing.

Laura: I leave them in your chests all the time.

Ron: No, you don't.

Laura: Why would you do that?

Laura: Because we're just nice players.

Laura: I'm not playing some fascist version.

Ron: You're not some benevolent Minecraft millionaire coming along.

Laura: No, I don't have the feather creator.

Laura: I've just been putting all the arrow stuff together.

Laura: Why don't because I don't have any feathers, so it's used to me.

Ron: Get your own.

Laura: I don't want to make a battery.

Ron: For no, but the thing is just say, hey, can I have some arrows?

Laura: You had five stacks.

Laura: Why didn't you just let me have them?

Ron: Because you needed to be taught a lesson.

Laura: I didn't need to be taught a lesson.

Ron: You did.

Laura: I didn't.

Laura: And I haven't learned that lesson.

Laura: I stole loads of your stuff yesterday.

Ron: I'll kill you again.

Ron: I'll burn your beach paradise.

Laura: Don't burn my beach paradise to the ground.

Ron: Then stop being a trog.

Laura: Hey, do you think for patreon content, we should do some twitched minecraft?

Ron: I've been saying it for, like, a year.

Laura: Yeah, but we don't know how to do twitch.

Ron: No.

Ron: And we ask the listeners to chime.

Laura: In, but they don't.

Ron: They're all just there like we loved a podcast.

Laura: Five Stars.

Ron: Not just like, giving us the help that we're asking for.

Laura: Keep using pounds a month.

Laura: Tell us how to twitch, you fool.

Ron: All we want to do is make, like, less than minimum wage to play Minecraft online.

Laura: Ah, right, okay.

Ron: Five and a letter grade.

Ron: You will need a blank piece of paper eventually.

Laura: You're going to make me do a graph?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Number one.

Ron: Can you name four things that affect the rate of a reaction?

Laura: Catalyst.

Laura: One, availability of the stuff.

Laura: Two, temperature.

Ron: Three.

Laura: OOH, the reactivity of the elements.

Ron: Can you say that?

Laura: Electrons.

Ron: You were so close.

Laura: Where the electron?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Could you say that in Italian Accent.

Laura: The right of the reactivity of the electrons.

Ron: Actually, no, I'm not going to give that.

Laura: Why?

Ron: Because that does not affect the like, if we're saying, let's say the reaction.

Laura: That we're doing is the question badly, let me have another rephrasing.

Ron: Let me have another nobody's getting at you.

Laura: Let me have another thought.

Laura: I must have another thought around here somewhere.

Ron: Where does that.

Laura: Be?

Laura: It's not going to be like, just, is there any oxygen around?

Laura: Because not all reactions will need oxygen.

Laura: You're thinking about fire, laura Wetness.

Laura: That's not a thing.

Laura: Oh, I did have a thought today about science.

Laura: Right.

Laura: I was on a river doing some paddleboarding and I thought I could drown in this water.

Laura: And I thought, because there's too much hydrogen in there, I can't breathe hydrogen.

Laura: Because that's the difference between oxygen and, like, air and the water.

Laura: It's the hydrogen content.

Laura: It's hydrogen that makes water dangerous.

Laura: Anyway.

Ron: Daft.

Laura: That's right.

Laura: H 20 the o.

Laura: We're fine with hydrogen in the air.

Ron: Yeah, but less you know what most of the air is?

Laura: Nitrogen.

Laura: Yeah, but it's the oxygen that we like.

Laura: But we can't get it out the water.

Ron: It's not an oxygen molecule and the.

Laura: Hydrogen just let me have this.

Laura: I was paddling about, thinking about science.

Ron: I'll let you have it because it's nothing.

Laura: I won't get murdered for having that idea.

Laura: That's good.

Laura: Do you remember, like, ten minutes ago, we were sat outside eating paella and having a lovely chat about our lives, and then it's like the microphone comes out and it's the catalyst for an anger reaction.

Ron: I'm having a nice time.

Laura: Are you?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Shut up.

Ron: I'm just not satisfied with the paella.

Laura: You are angry about the paella.

Ron: Took an hour and a half and then, let's be honest, there was still some crunches in there.

Laura: There were some crunches in there, but.

Ron: Then most of it was mush.

Laura: But, hey, by the time we've panko breadcrumbed it and air fried it and turned it into paella balls at around 01:00 A.m., we're getting drunk.

Laura: Hey, you're already drinking Stella.

Laura: Yeah, I don't have that much.

Ron: Stellar, though.

Laura: No.

Laura: You're quite a drinker, aren't you?

Ron: Yeah, I can put them away.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: I'm going to drink the listeners under the table in September.

Ron: All 20 of them.

Laura: Right, hang on.

Laura: So, temperature, catalyst, catalyst, availability of stuff, surface area.

Ron: Bam.

Ron: Four colours.

Laura: Oh, that just came to me in a vision.

Laura: Joseph was a coat of many.

Ron: Colours.

Laura: It was temperature and catalyst and surface area and availability of stuff.

Ron: One time I was hanging out with friend of the podcast Noah, and there was another friend there, it might have been Forgettakins forgettakins.

Ron: And we'd stayed up all night playing video games.

Ron: This was before we even drank.

Laura: Wow.

Ron: We'd stayed up all night playing video games.

Laura: You guys started drinking.

Laura: So weirdly.

Laura: Why?

Laura: I was at uni and I got a phone call from Mum once, very, very upset because you'd had a sleepover and between you, you had drunk a whole bottle of PIMS.

Laura: Yeah, I was there on the phone being like, I've had a bottle of PIMS while we've had this conversation.

Ron: Mother, even just the sleepover.

Ron: It was a party.

Laura: Yeah, you drunk a whole bottle of.

Ron: We were like 17.

Laura: She was also like, They've gone through a whole box of tissues.

Laura: And I was like, I don't know what to say about that.

Ron: This was just a normal party outside.

Ron: I don't even think we were using tissues.

Laura: You must have spilled something.

Ron: Yeah, maybe.

Laura: But I was just like, mom, it's just PIMS.

Ron: There is just such a dichotomy in the house.

Ron: Because once I was having one of these guys, I was quite famous.

Ron: Not famous, but I was very popular for having these garden parties.

Ron: Cool kids used to come.

Ron: Sometimes they kiss me.

Ron: I know.

Laura: Kissed a boy.

Ron: Wasn't for me.

Ron: No.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: It'S a science podcast.

Ron: What was it saying?

Ron: Oh, yeah, and we were drinking vodka and orange squash.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Oh, squash.

Laura: My brain just supplied juice and then updated it afterwards.

Ron: Yeah, no water.

Laura: Oh, wrong.

Ron: Yeah, just vodka and orange.

Laura: Had such a headache.

Ron: No, we were drunk.

Ron: It was fine.

Ron: We were like 15.

Ron: And then dad came out to the gun.

Ron: So we all hit the vodka under the table because we thought we'd get in trouble.

Ron: Then dad, he goes like this.

Ron: He beckons me over with his finger and I was like, S***.

Ron: He's seen the bottle and f***** it.

Ron: Beckons me over.

Ron: He goes, Ron, this is the most boring party I have ever seen.

Ron: Why do none of your friends have drinks?

Ron: Drove me to the shop and bought us a couple of crates.

Laura: Man.

Laura: It was different being his son to being his daughter.

Ron: Anyway, so noah, forgettakins.

Ron: This is like the afternoon after we'd stayed up all night and we'd gone back to Noah's mum's house and we were waiting for someone to give us a lift home or to get picked up.

Ron: We were just sat in the living room, fairly delirious from lack of sleep.

Ron: And then a stuffed camel on the top of a bookshelf starts moving.

Laura: Oh, no.

Ron: And it goes I open my arms, pull back the curtains.

Ron: None of us moved or reacted.

Ron: We all just sat there and watched this camel sing this.

Ron: And it was literally one of those moments where we're just like, did you.

Laura: See that as well?

Ron: Okay, question number two.

Ron: This is the one where you need the paper and the pen.

Laura: Oh, I hate the graph.

Laura: Okay, but I'm on full mark so far.

Laura: Do.

Laura: Oh, a p****.

Ron: Okay, axes.

Ron: Yes, the bottom axes is time.

Laura: Time it waits for no man.

Ron: The Y axis is the amount of reactants.

Laura: Amount of reactants.

Ron: I would like you to draw a graph of the amount of reactants over time in a closed system, not a factory with pipes at a constant temperature.

Laura: So just down to the right.

Ron: Describe.

Laura: Start with a load up here and then it just reduces at a steady rate until there's none.

Ron: That's what you did when you thought it was a factory with stuff getting pumped in.

Laura: Amount of reactants.

Laura: What's a reactant?

Laura: The things that are reacting or what?

Laura: You end up with it's.

Ron: The things that are reacting.

Laura: Yeah, that's about right.

Laura: Then you start with loads and then they go or you turn into something else.

Ron: What are the four things that we talked about that affected the speed of a reaction?

Laura: Catalyst.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Catalyst isn't changing no amount.

Laura: Oh, so it's going to slow down?

Ron: Yes.

Laura: Hang on, hang on.

Laura: How does things slow down in a graph?

Ron: Yeah, nice.

Laura: I made it like a slope.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Quick at first, because if you think about it, let's say we've got a beaker of reaction going on and there's loads of it bumping in real quick, so it's going to cane through the first bit.

Ron: But then later on here, where it's real slow, it's going to take a while for them to bump in.

Ron: I mean, technically, you'd want this line to be at the bottom, wouldn't you?

Ron: Because there's going to be none left.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: You get it full mark half.

Laura: A mark half.

Laura: Why?

Ron: Because you got it wrong the first time in the same way that you got it wrong.

Ron: When we recorded the bulk of the.

Laura: Episode, I think it was a different question.

Laura: In the bulk.

Ron: Yeah, that was the same, but the opposite.

Ron: Laura, what's the definition of a catalyst?

Laura: What's the definition of a catalyst?

Laura: It is a thing that speeds up a reaction without getting used up in the reaction.

Ron: Perfect.

Ron: Well done.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: And finally for a letter grade.

Ron: Laura chemists and factories where they pump chemicals in.

Laura: Chemists and factories where they pump chemicals in.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: What do they have to consider when they're working out the conditions under which to have a reaction?

Laura: Is this not question one again?

Ron: No.

Laura: What's the question?

Ron: What do chemists have to consider when they're working out?

Ron: What conditions to have a reaction in?

Laura: Loads of stuff, I expect.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: That's why it's a letter to just kind of discuss maybe use some of the information that we talked about in the last episode.

Laura: What episode?

Ron: The episode that we the episode that we're in.

Laura: The episode we're in.

Ron: This episode.

Laura: This episode, I guess.

Laura: What reactants they've got from p***?

Ron: No, the conditions that they already know.

Ron: The reaction.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: What conditions are they going to do that reaction under?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: That would depend on what's reacting.

Laura: If I'm doing a fire reaction, I'm not going to do it in a wooden laboratory, but if I'm doing a water reaction, I'm not going to do it in a one made of skips.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: I didn't understand what you do, you.

Laura: Know what I mean?

Ron: Said before.

Ron: I get yes.

Ron: All right, one point a is that your final answer?

Laura: What do they want?

Laura: But it all boils down to really what they'reacting doesn't it?

Laura: Doesn't it?

Laura: Talk to me back so that I can have a conversation.

Ron: No conversation.

Ron: Is this a quiz?

Laura: I can't picture this.

Laura: What does the chemist look like?

Ron: It's like a brunette Scottish lady in a lab coat.

Ron: She's got glasses.

Laura: What's she reacting?

Ron: Chemical A and chemical B to make chemicals.

Laura: What are they?

Laura: Liquids?

Ron: Sure.

Laura: I need sides on the dishes then.

Ron: Do you think that's what I'm asking?

Laura: I don't really know what you're asking, because it feels to me like it's like, oh, think about surface area and the temperature and catalyst.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So they're going to tweak those things that we talked about before.

Ron: What are they trying to get out of that at the end?

Ron: What are the things that they're yeah, why are they doing those things?

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: You'd have to ask them.

Laura: You can't come to me with a hypothetical chemist and say, what's his purpose or hers?

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: You made him up.

Ron: Do you think that the hypothetical chemist wants to do this reaction really slowly?

Laura: Maybe.

Ron: Do you think that they want to get a very small amount of the product out of it and loads of byproduct?

Laura: Maybe.

Laura: Okay, here's my question.

Ron: Why would they want any of these things?

Laura: How is that amazing, Ron?

Laura: Are they doing an experiment or are they trying to make something?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: In a factory with the tubes.

Laura: I said, Right, that makes more sense now.

Laura: Thanks for clarifying.

Laura: Okay, so I'd say they want the optimal time for like, you know, we did that graph about where the byproduct and the time have a happy place.

Ron: That I don't think we did a graph about that.

Laura: Didn't we?

Ron: We talked about it.

Laura: Well, maybe I drew a graph in my head, but there's like the intersection between, oh, so fast, you get too much byproduct and oh, it's very slow, but you get loads, but you're like, oh, 90% and two, you know?

Laura: Yeah, that's what they want.

Ron: D.

Laura: For getting it right.

Ron: After I told you the answer.

Laura: Yes, after you made the question.

Laura: Did anybody else assume that because it was a factory, everything would stay constant?

Laura: That's what I want to know.

Ron: Wasn't a factory.

Laura: You said it.

Laura: There's literally a drawing in my notes.

Ron: Yes, we talked about a factory and then we started talking about mackie.

Ron: Stop yarfing.

Ron: And then we were talking about something else.

Laura: I don't think we were.

Ron: We were.

Laura: Anyway, get tickets to see us at the London Podcast Festival, please.

Ron: Desperately.

Ron: That one.

Laura: You old crohn's.

Laura: You're a grey old witch.

Laura: All the other insults Ron used.

Laura: Come and see us live.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: London Podcast Festival, 16 September.

Laura: I think some extra tickets got added to the Ballum show.

Laura: So if you wanted to come to the November show, 5 November at the Bedford in Balam, there are five tickets, I think just got released.

Laura: Some extra tickets, so you can snaffle those up.

Laura: That's the Cheerful Earful festival.

Laura: Join the patreon.

Ron: The thing is as well, is that it's not just us at either of these things.

Laura: No.

Ron: So don't feel like you've got to trek to London just to see these two clown horses.

Ron: You could see other podcasts as well.

Laura: But do see us come to London and then not see us.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: If you go watch Pappy's and not us, we're going to punch you in the.

Laura: Um any other business, Ron?

Laura: You're right, Mackie?

Ron: Um, no, just really desperately, everyone, politely, please.

Laura: Politely, politely.

Laura: We're about to record, with husband of the podcast, a year review, an annual review, a parent teacher meeting.

Ron: Are we committing to that?

Ron: Aren't we?

Laura: Aren't we?

Laura: For patreon?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: I assumed you just want to play PlayStation.

Laura: I do, but you've said you've done the prep.

Laura: All right, well, we might not do that.

Laura: You'll have to join the patreon to find out.

Laura: Oh, you haven't really done any prep.

Laura: Okay, listen, you'll have to join to find out if we did it and if it was any good.

Laura: Other than that, have a safe week, have a colourful week, have a polite week.

Ron: Speak to someone you've not chatted to in a while and you've been putting it off.

Laura: Go and see a rabbit at your local pet shop.

Ron: Go and watch the fish at a fish store.

Laura: Oh, we should do the register.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: All right.

Ron: Do you want to go first or second?

Laura: Where are the notes?

Laura: Are they in the outro?

Ron: It's in the outro bit.

Laura: Thank you.

Ron: It should be.

Laura: Right.

Laura: Thank you, harry Smith.

Laura: One, for not being Ron, two for being the leader of the anti dober lead, trying to keep knobs and balls out of the book.

Laura: Was doing a great job until this week.

Ron: And thank you to Leanne Langdon, firstly, just for being a nice listener and stuff, but also because they have promised to buy the first round at the live show.

Ron: So buy your tickets now and Leanne will get the pints in over the interval.

Laura: Hey, Leanne.

Laura: Mine's Gin.

Laura: And thank you to Haley, vice President of Pipes at the chemical factory that we were definitely in.

Laura: Take good care of yourselves.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Have nice times.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: And Mackie says hello.

Ron: No, Mackie says it Cluster Smith.

Ron: Human emotion coming through.

Laura: It's the sound cheque.

Laura: That is a beautiful shape.

Laura: On, have a look at that's.

Laura: Okay, let me have a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment