Lexx Education - Episode Index

Episode 1 - Biology - A Lego Brick Full of Meccano                          Introduction to cells. Episode 2 - Chemistry - Bob Marley and th...

Thursday 11 January 2024

Chel From Friends

 Laura: Hello and welcome to another episode of Lex Education.

Laura: It's the comedy science podcast where comedian Laura Lex tries to learn science from her absolutely air horn hungry brother.

Laura: Ron, that wasn't an air horn that you didn't all through this episode.

Ron: Oh, this one.

Laura: I listened back to it last night, right.

Laura: I did not feel very well for two weeks.

Laura: And last night I only go to bed just mega early and I'm knitting.

Laura: We're on a jumper at the moment, so I'll sit my bed, do my knitting and listen to just a lovely gentle episode that, you know, we recorded it at mother and father of the podcast's house.

Laura: Ron just absolutely went off piece.

Laura: Just put an air like, I mean, you're about to listen to it, you're here.

Laura: Just please be aware that an air horn is going to go off in your ear every 5 seconds.

Ron: I just wanted to demonstrate what your editing of the podcast sounds like to me.

Laura: No, I'm a careful, casual, beautiful girl.

Laura: Shut your face.

Laura: Anyway, happy new year, everybody.

Laura: New Year's day.

Laura: And it's only ruddy physics on New Year's day.

Laura: Woof.

Laura: How were your new year's?

Laura: Were they good?

Laura: What did you get up to?

Laura: I was working.

Laura: I was at Brighton Comedia having a lovely time that's still in the future from when we're recording this.

Laura: We're recording these intros outros a little bit early so that we can have a week off between Christmas.

Ron: Yeah, we're doing these.

Ron: We're about to record two episodes and we're four days out from Christmas.

Ron: I'm feeling Elfie to my ear holes.

Laura: But we're giddy.

Laura: And also in a weird deja vu of last year.

Ron: Horrible dress.

Laura: I am wearing my bedminster Asda flammable Mrs.

Laura: Christmas dressing gown in a weird, weird thing.

Laura: We have to do a redo, which I'm pretty sure last year, the first episode after the new year break was the Moles redo special.

Laura: It was definitely January last year.

Laura: Yeah, I think Moles was like January.

Ron: That's an I'm so sure all timer.

Ron: The Moles redo.

Laura: The moles redo special.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: You should go back and listen to it, I reckon.

Laura: Let me check the spreader.

Laura: Moles two.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Was January 2.

Laura: And so in a couple of weeks you'll be listening to another redo because it's entirely my fault I've lost the recording somewhere.

Ron: You get real drama around December, I guess.

Laura: I get bad at admin and I'm normally.

Laura: I'm so on top of it.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: You do so much too much admin usually.

Laura: No, because you have to edit every other episode.

Laura: But I have to edit every other episode, all the specials and put intros, outros on each episode that we do and post them.

Laura: So it's a lot to keep track of what's going where.

Laura: And have we done them, like all the labeling and stuff?

Laura: Without the spreadsheet, it would be chaos.

Ron: Yeah, you do do a lot.

Ron: You've stopped sending me the face creams.

Laura: Because you haven't posted them.

Laura: I sent you a whole batch last weekend and you haven't made any of the images.

Ron: I sent you a whole batch of them.

Laura: I think I posted those, yeah.

Ron: And you haven't sent me any since.

Laura: Oh, well, then I've double f***** up, haven't I?

Laura: Anyway, that's in the past, Ron.

Laura: It's new year.

Ron: I'll do a boxing day breakdown for everyone.

Laura: Yeah, we'll get there eventually.

Laura: Where are my notes for 81.

Ron: Sparse notes because I was editing on a train.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: And Ron can't type whilst sat down.

Laura: I don't know.

Ron: No, when I usually edit, so I've got my screens and then this one will have that on.

Ron: And then I have my notes here and I edit and I type.

Ron: And then I'm usually doing something else on my phone as well.

Laura: That explains why Ron leaves all the thinking noises into his episodes anyway.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: There's not much edits, but it's fun.

Laura: It's a fun episode.

Laura: It's a same room episode.

Laura: We are at mum and dad of the podcast house features Toby Dog of.

Ron: The podcast, one where dad comes in and just starts unloading the dishwasher.

Laura: No, that was a Patreon episode.

Laura: That was the Christmas Patreon episode.

Laura: The foods of Christmas from around the world, featuring agony dad, who.

Laura: We have got some recordings coming out, so don't forget to send us your agony dad questions.

Laura: We've got a couple of special episodes coming up with him.

Laura: We've got seas and oceans, our first sea cadets episode with Agony dad explaining about all about the seas.

Laura: And we want to do some more agony dad questions.

Laura: So let us know.

Laura: What questions do you need a man with a very limited emotional vocabulary to.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And we know that he was a builder, construction man.

Ron: Save that s*** for Google.

Ron: You want him prying into your personal.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah, because he won't care about anyone's feelings.

Laura: It's great.

Laura: Anyway, enjoy the episode, my loves.

Laura: All right.

Laura: There's a bar of chocolate in the fridge that is really calling to me.

Ron: You could have some if you wanted, I could.

Ron: You don't have to.

Laura: I could.

Ron: Are we recording?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: What are you looking at?

Ron: Twitter.

Ron: I didn't know we were recording.

Laura: It's not called Twitter.

Ron: It's called x.

Ron: Yeah, but you can shove that up his hole.

Laura: His hole?

Laura: How can he get his arts hole?

Laura: Bleached?

Ron: Probably, I reckon.

Laura: Waxed and bleached.

Ron: Oh, no, I think.

Ron: You probably think that's a bit gay.

Laura: He has a lot of plastic surgery, though.

Ron: Yeah, but I think bum bum gay.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: Bum gay.

Laura: Bum's too gay.

Ron: I think he's too macho for that.

Laura: He thinks he's macho?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Oh, God.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Got reminded of that thing you did with the sink today.

Ron: Oh, God.

Ron: Embarrassing.

Laura: Hugely embarrassing.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: And his rocket exploded and he's lost all of his appetizers.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: It's just bad there now.

Laura: I barely use it anymore.

Laura: It's gone from being my favorite social media to.

Laura: I barely remember to put stuff on it because it's the one I have by far the most followers on and the interaction is just terrible.

Laura: You just don't get views on stuff.

Laura: So you're like, why bother putting stuff here?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Hopefully when he goes away and they reverse all the twitter blue stuff, it will just come back.

Laura: Will they do that?

Ron: I think the people that lent him the money to buy it are f****** furious because he's gone from, like, being like, he spent like, 44 billion on.

Ron: It's only worth about 13 billion now.

Laura: Oh, it's going to be like the end of Princess and the frog, where the shadow man gets sucked into the thing to pay back his debtors.

Ron: I don't get the reference, but, yeah.

Laura: Maybe princess and the frog.

Ron: I'm not a kid.

Ron: I don't watch kids films.

Laura: They're not kids films.

Laura: Animated comedies.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Now, this is the thing our whole family has.

Ron: We pretend kids films are for adults.

Laura: They are.

Laura: There's loads of jokes for adults in them.

Ron: That doesn't mean they're for adults.

Ron: That's so that they're fine for adults while you're watching them.

Laura: You can still take pleasure from them.

Ron: No, you absolutely can.

Ron: But you can't just be like, what?

Ron: You've never watched this kid's film even though you're a childless adult.

Ron: Why would I have seen it?

Laura: Well, I've seen it.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: You got a kid.

Laura: I saw it way before I had a child.

Laura: Toby, what are you eating?

Laura: Toby.

Laura: That's all right.

Laura: It's cauliflower.

Laura: I need to go and deal with child of the podcast again.

Laura: She's screaming her head off.

Ron: Ok.

Laura: I don't know how to make it stop tonight, so.

Laura: Oh, it's dog.

Laura: Hi, tobes.

Ron: Hey, Toby.

Laura: He's a handsome beast, man.

Laura: He farts, though.

Ron: Oh, real rotten a****** on him as well.

Laura: Yeah, like, we take the p*** out of Mackie a lot for having breath like a sewer, but honestly, I'd take her bad breath over the farts that other dogs do.

Ron: Yeah, and you do.

Laura: Yeah, she never farts.

Ron: Nothing makes it through that fart.

Laura: What are you doing now?

Ron: I'm finishing the WhatsApps that I was sending when you walked in.

Laura: Whatsapp?

Ron: You can't just stroll in and out and just expect me to just jump to attention.

Laura: Oh, but you expect me to remember science.

Laura: I'll prepare the notebook for today.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: What are we on?

Laura: 79.

Laura: In theory, it's a new year's Day episode.

Laura: Ron make any resolutions?

Ron: No.

Ron: You.

Laura: Don'T know.

Laura: I haven't really thought about it until this very moment when I asked you.

Laura: I've had two years of vegetarianism now.

Laura: I'll keep that one.

Laura: Well, except for the burger.

Laura: Woof.

Laura: I did that.

Laura: 50 recipes one year.

Laura: Didn't manage that.

Ron: But you did well, though.

Laura: I did pretty well.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Like, more than the average resolution, I think.

Ron: I think you put in a good bloody stint.

Ron: No, I don't do resolutions.

Ron: If I want to change something about life, I just do whatever.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: I might do dry January, though.

Laura: You're doing dry November.

Ron: No, I'm not.

Laura: Why won't you have a beer with me?

Ron: I don't need.

Ron: Just like a glass of wine on a Monday.

Laura: This pen isn't working very well.

Laura: I don't have my gel pens.

Laura: I feel like it's New Year's Day even though it's not.

Ron: Do you know?

Ron: Yeah, I'm not hungover, so.

Ron: I do not.

Laura: I'm never hungover on New Year's Day.

Laura: No, I don't need ten bottles of wine on random Monday.

Ron: Not random, though, is it?

Ron: Toby?

Ron: You're all right, Toby?

Ron: Yes.

Ron: Yeah, Laura's now wandered off looking for her phone.

Ron: She's found it.

Ron: Toby's in here now.

Laura: I'm back.

Ron: Hello?

Laura: Is she still in the garden?

Ron: No, I let her in because she immediately started barking at nothing.

Laura: Yeah, that sounds like her.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: All right, what are we starting this fresh new year off with?

Laura: Ron?

Ron: Can you remember what we did the last time in physics?

Laura: Physics?

Laura: Physics 2024, mate.

Ron: One of these very well could have been the microphone.

Laura: Physics.

Laura: I'm flicking back.

Laura: Oh, Ray's.

Laura: Which I actually quite enjoyed.

Ron: Charles.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Ramon.

Ron: What's his name?

Ron: Ray Romano.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: Ban Dio.

Laura: Head.

Ron: Troll from France.

Laura: Oop, Drover.

Ron: Bottom of the barrel.

Laura: No, Ron.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Isn't scraped scraped?

Laura: You didn't.

Laura: It's just raped.

Ron: No, I said screw.

Ron: I said scrub.

Ron: There was a sigh in there.

Ron: Nobody's raping the bottom of the bottom of a barrel.

Laura: Oh, it came from the bottom of the barrel bit.

Laura: That makes more sense now.

Laura: I believe you.

Laura: I thought you were just randomly.

Ron: Oh, the word scraped.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: I didn't hear scraped.

Laura: I just heard he's trying to make the podcast more prideful but more f****** successful.

Ron: If we made more rape jokes, probably.

Laura: We'D be number one in the podcast charts, mate.

Ron: No, you're still a woman, though.

Laura: That's true.

Ron: Inherently unmarketable.

Ron: Toby Gordon.

Laura: Well, yeah.

Ron: So we were doing rays, we were doing electromagnetism.

Laura: Sounds good.

Laura: Didn't we enjoy it?

Laura: Oh, yeah.

Ron: The sizes of them, how to describe them?

Ron: I think we've been doing them for some time in physics.

Ron: Yeah, a little bit for the listeners ears a long time, because we'll have done the crimbo episodes in the middle.

Ron: Do you think it might be because she can hear us through the floor or something?

Laura: No, thank you.

Ron: Okay, so what we're going to talk about for a bit is properties of electromagnetic waves.

Ron: Now, this is different to how you describe them.

Laura: Properties of electromagnetic waves.

Ron: Now, when we were learning about dung beetles and the moon.

Laura: Oh, yeah, I loved that polarization.

Laura: Hey, that was me taught you that.

Ron: Yes, but you were saying some f****** nonsense about how the light that I was seeing when I was looking at the wall, that was like I was coming in polarized.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: No.

Laura: It'S not.

Laura: I googled it.

Laura: We googled it together.

Ron: No, you didn't.

Laura: Yes, we did.

Laura: No, we did in the episode.

Laura: And some of the light is polarized.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: When it's coming off specific substances.

Ron: Not any flat substance, which is what you said.

Laura: So some specific things.

Laura: That's fine.

Laura: My wall happens to be one.

Ron: No, it wasn't.

Ron: We tested it.

Ron: You f*** with.

Laura: Well, fine then.

Laura: But I wasn't wrong about dung beetles.

Ron: No, you weren't, because they're about turds.

Ron: And that's what you know about dung beetles.

Laura: Follow polarized light rock.

Ron: Yes, I'm agreeing with you.

Laura: The moon polarizes things.

Ron: Yes, the moon is a specific substance.

Ron: But your walls, flat things don't do it.

Laura: Maybe I've coated my wall in moon.

Ron: We tested it, you f*** wit.

Laura: Why are you shouting at me?

Ron: Because you backed yourself into a corner, you've done a poop in it, and you're rolling it around.

Ron: So when some light hits.

Ron: Let's look at this wall over here.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Well, that's speckled, so that's not going to polarize because it's a flat.

Ron: Neither did yours.

Ron: So just cut down.

Ron: Let's leave an edit break.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: So light is coming out of this bulb that descends from the ceiling.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: And it's bouncing off the wall.

Ron: What do you think's happening when it.

Ron: You left the door open for Toby?

Laura: Why can't Toby be in here?

Ron: What do you think's happening when the light hits the wall?

Laura: About walls.

Laura: It's coming off a wall.

Ron: Light comes out of the descendy bulb, hits the wall, goes into your eye.

Ron: What do you think is happening when it hits the wall?

Laura: Some of the light is being absorbed into the paint.

Ron: What light?

Laura: The shorter wavelengths.

Ron: Why do you think the shorter wavelengths.

Laura: Feels right?

Laura: It's not the longer wavelength.

Ron: Also not.

Ron: Right.

Ron: So do you remember when we were talking about all the different rays in the middle was visible light?

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Visible light is a spectrum.

Ron: There's different wavelengths in it.

Ron: Right.

Laura: Gender.

Ron: Yes, exactly.

Ron: Like gender.

Ron: Like a rainbow.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Like the national curriculum grading system.

Ron: I suppose.

Ron: So the different colors of light represent different wavelengths.

Ron: Okay, so the wall and the table, not the same color.

Ron: Correct.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So what do you think the difference between what's happening when it hits the wall and what's happening when it hits the table is.

Ron: I can see you looking around, but it's really obvious you're pretending to think.

Laura: The thing with me is, if I don't know the answer straight away, I'm not going to be able to think of the answer.

Laura: I either know it or I don't know it.

Ron: Different colors of light, a different wavelength.

Laura: Did you say that?

Ron: I did say that, yeah.

Laura: I don't think I heard that.

Laura: So what's happening is different wavelengths are being absorbed by different color paints.

Ron: Which ones?

Laura: Well, like this red tablecloth is probably absorbing all the light.

Ron: Blues, everything but the red, basically.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Do you remember when we were talking about electron shells?

Ron: Electrons can be at different energy states.

Laura: No.

Ron: Okay, then this will be new information.

Laura: Ooh.

Laura: Electrons can be in different energy states.

Ron: Yes, but in shelves.

Ron: Like in levels.

Laura: I thought you were saying shelves.

Ron: I am saying shells.

Laura: But then you just said shelves that time.

Ron: I said shelves.

Laura: Two different words, two different meanings.

Ron: Yeah, but I said them both on purpose.

Laura: I'll write them both down.

Laura: I'm writing with a pencil.

Laura: I hope it can be heard on the microphone.

Ron: So if we got an electron bobbing around a certain atom.

Ron: Electron, that electron will have different energy levels.

Ron: It can be at, but it cannot be in between these levels.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: Shelf one, shelf two cannot be dangling.

Ron: So the light that.

Ron: That no dangle electron will absorb is.

Laura: The light the electrons are absorbing.

Ron: The light is the light that.

Ron: Because light is energy, right?

Ron: It's a type of energy, yeah.

Ron: So the light that.

Laura: That silly, isn't it?

Ron: No, the light that that electron would absorb.

Laura: The electrons are the things absorbing.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Why not?

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: That's just lovely for them, isn't it?

Laura: Now, I don't think they are sad.

Laura: How come they're negative then, if they've got all this energy?

Ron: Because negative is just a word.

Laura: That's.

Ron: Negative's just a word.

Ron: We could call it Blumbo.

Ron: And the other one, Millimbo and Millam.

Ron: It wouldn't mean anything different.

Laura: They're the ones that casually, slowly take over from crod hypermonglong.

Ron: After Blumbo and Millam.

Laura: Yes.

Laura: That's like the spin off show from the original detective service.

Laura: Blumbo and Millam were like other detectives, and then they're like the Frasier to the.

Laura: Cheers.

Laura: Are you still drinking that tea?

Laura: That must be freezing.

Ron: Yeah, it's not warm.

Laura: Is that also the bottom tray from a pack of smoked salmon that I'm.

Ron: Using as a coaster?

Ron: Because I've spilled tea all over mum's.

Ron: Nice blanket.

Laura: Really?

Ron: Have.

Ron: Yeah, I have.

Ron: I'll put it back and not say anything.

Ron: Yes.

Ron: So the light that that electron.

Ron: Shut up, Toby.

Ron: The light that that electron would absorb is the light that is equal in energy to the energy difference between the two energy states of that electron.

Laura: What?

Laura: The light absorbs the bit in between the shelves.

Ron: The energy difference between the two shelves?

Ron: No, because they're energy states.

Laura: Right, hang on.

Laura: Let me draw some shelves.

Laura: So what we're saying, like, this one's like 50 to 40, but then the next shelf is like 38 to 28.

Laura: So there's a spare two.

Ron: No.

Ron: So it's like the top shelf is 54.

Ron: Has to be 54.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: And then the shelf beneath that is 38.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Shelf beneath that is 26.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Shelf beneath that is nine.

Laura: Okay, got you.

Ron: Electron in its unexcited state, is that the nine shelf?

Laura: Watch me remember those numbers and that'll be the only thing I remember.

Ron: Electron.

Laura: This Electron lives here.

Ron: It's on the nine shelf.

Laura: All the nine.

Ron: No, got to stop guessing, man.

Ron: It can exist in any of those energy states.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: So it could absorb light that has energy equal to 17.

Ron: Or.

Ron: Why can't I do this f****** math?

Ron: 29 or 43?

Ron: Sorry.

Ron: 45.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Do you understand why?

Laura: Because they're multiples of nine.

Ron: No, they're not.

Laura: I only really listen to the last number.

Laura: 45.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: No, because 45 is the difference between 54 and nine, so it would need to jump up to being 54.

Ron: So there's light coming in.

Laura: What?

Laura: No.

Ron: So let's think about energy as batteries.

Ron: No chocolate bars.

Laura: Even Toby's whining.

Ron: Yeah, Toby.

Ron: F*** off.

Laura: You need to go out, Toby.

Laura: Toby needs to go out.

Ron: You send Toby out.

Laura: I'm the one supposed to be learning.

Ron: Yes, learn that.

Laura: Sweaty?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: It's hot in here.

Ron: All right.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I accidentally left this recording.

Ron: I get f****** suggested this article all the time.

Ron: Bob Dylan was in the f****** travel in Wilbury's.

Ron: Why would that be?

Ron: Like, sure.

Ron: Okay, I might not know that he wrote those three songs, but why would I on earth be surprised?

Laura: I don't know, man.

Ron: It's just been, like, three songs.

Ron: You didn't know Mick Jagger wrote for the Rolling Stones.

Laura: You might be like, d***, I really.

Ron: Thought that would be Jeff Lynn.

Laura: Jeff.

Ron: Or George Harrison.

Ron: Roy Orbison or Tom Petty.

Ron: Yeah, it was a super group, Laura.

Ron: Yeah, right.

Laura: If you were going to make your own super group, who would be in it?

Ron: Dan Albach on guitar.

Laura: You get to be in it.

Ron: Why would I put myself in it?

Laura: Because we had to play with Boofbad.

Ron: Yeah, but I'd be really embarrassingly bad.

Ron: Yeah, I guess.

Ron: Dan are back on guitar.

Ron: We have Julian Casablancas in on vocals.

Laura: Julian Casablanca?

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Who's that guy from the Strokes?

Laura: You can't seriously be called Julian Casablanca.

Ron: Julian Casablancas just means Julian White house.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Very sad all of a sudden because.

Ron: Your kids being a cup.

Laura: It's because my child is stratle, and looking after her in her house with other people makes me feel judged.

Laura: And we're doing physics that I don't understand.

Laura: Now I'm comfort eating chocolate that I don't want the calories from.

Ron: Nobody's judging you for the child rearing.

Laura: They are.

Ron: I'm not.

Laura: Thanks, Ron.

Laura: No.

Laura: Why did you just.

Laura: I was going to put it in the fridge.

Laura: Why did you wait till I wrapped it up to put it away?

Laura: To throw it across the room?

Laura: Do.

Ron: You wouldn't want me throwing loose chocolate around the room.

Laura: I don't need to throw any chocolate.

Laura: I was literally just going to put it in the fridge.

Ron: Pick that up before a dog eats it.

Ron: Poisonous for dogs.

Ron: Laura.

Laura: Hey, look how long this rhubarb is.

Ron: Do you know rhubarb's not related to celery?

Laura: Yeah, they don't taste at all the same.

Ron: Yeah, but look at it.

Ron: It looks like red celery.

Laura: Yeah, it also looks like a squid stick.

Ron: What, a squid stick?

Laura: Yeah, it's like long sticks that look like rhubarb but a fishy mean crab sticks.

Laura: Are they crab?

Ron: No, but they're called crab sticks.

Ron: Mashed up squid, probably.

Ron: No, because you can sell squid on its own.

Laura: You can sell crab on its own.

Ron: Yeah, but it's not made of crab.

Ron: It's made up of like f****** fish eyes and stuff.

Laura: Why are they called crab sticks to make.

Ron: You'd think it's crabs who eat it.

Laura: They are disgusting.

Ron: I quite like them.

Laura: No, you don't.

Ron: I used to dip them in dermis a lot.

Laura: Ron, that's horrid.

Ron: They're kind of like plasticky and sort of spongy in a way.

Laura: They're like seafood cheesestrings.

Ron: I love it.

Laura: Katsu.

Ron: Right.

Ron: Okay, so let's imagine the energy state of these electrons.

Laura: I didn't understand anything.

Laura: So this electron, that's number nine.

Ron: It's got nine chocolate bars.

Laura: Has it, though?

Ron: Yes.

Laura: What is that?

Laura: Nine?

Ron: That it's got energy.

Laura: Joules got space to absorb nine joules.

Ron: No, at that point it has nine joules.

Laura: Where'd it get those from?

Ron: Ambient energy just has it thinking like closed system again at the start of our timeline of this electron, it has nine joules of energy.

Laura: Okay?

Ron: Think about a particle of light coming in.

Ron: That particle of light has 17 joules of energy.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Can our electron absorb it?

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Because what other states can this electron exist in?

Laura: Oh, yes.

Laura: Because if it took on 17, it would go to the next shelf up and be on 26.

Ron: Absolutely.

Ron: So could our electron, when it has nine joules, if a particle of light came in and had 20 joules, could it absorb that?

Laura: No, it could only absorb 17 of them.

Ron: Exactly.

Ron: It can only be on a shelf and it can skip shelves.

Ron: So it could jump straight from nine to 54 if it wanted to.

Ron: Okay, so that's what's happening when the light is hitting the wall, some of the wavelengths are getting absorbed by electrons in it and others are not.

Laura: So like the spare three, is that bouncing back to us?

Ron: What spare three?

Laura: Sorry, on the 20 light.

Ron: No, the 20 is just not interacting with this one.

Ron: It goes.

Ron: No.

Laura: Oh, it doesn't take any of it.

Laura: It just goes nut up.

Laura: If it can't take it all.

Laura: It takes nothing.

Laura: So the 20 bounces back.

Ron: Exactly.

Laura: That.

Laura: They invented paint before they knew about this.

Ron: No, what can happen is that it could absorb energy to get it up to the 54.

Ron: No, because this happened.

Laura: We've invented stuff that's doing all this.

Laura: But we didn't even know we were doing it.

Ron: Everything is doing this all the time.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Forever.

Laura: I've harnessed it.

Ron: It's amazing that we know this.

Ron: We live in such an incredible age.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Got so many paints.

Ron: It's like you're waking up.

Ron: It could absorb energy to go up to the 54 and then release some energy to go down to the 38.

Ron: So then what it would be doing is absorbing light of one color and then emitting light of a different color.

Ron: That's another way that things can change.

Laura: What atoms does this electron on?

Ron: It doesn't matter.

Ron: These numbers are numbers I made up.

Ron: It could be any.

Laura: But they're not just loose electrons they're on.

Ron: No, they are.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: They're buzzing around a nucleus.

Laura: A paint atom.

Ron: Yeah, exactly.

Laura: So when they're like, this paint's got no lead in it because lead does some absorbing and reflecting.

Laura: And so they used to use it in paint.

Ron: Metal ions are often used in colorful pigments because they are just often nice colors.

Laura: Mad that lead used to be in everything, and now it's really poisonous.

Ron: Some freaking nut jobs think that that's a conspiracy.

Laura: Really?

Ron: Yeah, they think that it's a conspiracy by the global agenda to get lead off the walls so that they can still scan stuff in your house because they think that the lead is, like, protecting them from things.

Ron: And they're like, yeah, we get it.

Ron: Don't paint the baby's crib with it, but we're going to put it on the walls.

Laura: Yeah, but the house is like a massive crib for all age babies.

Ron: But I think the problem is, like, babies chewing the paint on the crib.

Laura: Yeah, but they're chew walls.

Ron: All age babies.

Laura: No, children up to, like, eight chew walls.

Laura: So do dogs.

Laura: Yeah, cats.

Ron: Listen, man, I'm not saying that we should be putting lending wolves.

Ron: These people are that dim.

Ron: But still think the government wants to spy on their thoughts.

Ron: Yeah, no, we're not.

Ron: How long have we been recording?

Laura: Twelve years.

Ron: Not that long.

Laura: I think 28 minutes.

Laura: 29 minutes now.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Like, five minutes of that was nothing.

Laura: It's all been nothing.

Ron: So the next thing that we're going to learn about, I'm worried that you're.

Laura: Not going to say, this episode is a spate of good episodes.

Ron: It's not our best.

Ron: Does this feel real high in quality to you?

Laura: I think we've had a lovely chat about really interesting stuff.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: I mean, I think I'm popping, but you and me.

Laura: You stop.

Laura: You making more tea?

Ron: No.

Laura: Don't have water socks for drinking.

Laura: I'm not going to drink it.

Ron: Yeah, I just said it's not for drinking.

Laura: I said I'm not going to drink.

Laura: It's.

Ron: Can you see if you close one eye?

Laura: Right, so, hang on.

Laura: I'm just going to tell you what's happening here, because Ron's forgotten that it's an audio medium.

Ron: That's your job.

Laura: Ron's brought a glass of water over and he's put a paintbrush in it.

Laura: But I don't think it matters that it's a paintbrush.

Ron: No.

Ron: Can you see how the paintbrush going into the water does not line up with what you can see of the paintbrush in the water?

Laura: Yes.

Laura: The light is refracted.

Ron: Do you know how refraction works?

Laura: Gets bent further by the thing it's going through.

Ron: Do you know how that works?

Laura: Angles and reflection.

Ron: No, that's just saying words.

Ron: No, angles and reflection.

Laura: That's why when you put light through a prism, it spreads out into a rainbow, because you're spreading all the light rays.

Ron: Yeah, but you're saying this.

Ron: But you don't know how it works.

Laura: I'm telling you, the light goes in and it bent on things and then.

Laura: Boop.

Laura: And then the different lengths of light rays bend different amounts.

Laura: Like on a marathon track.

Ron: Yes, but the thing is, it's like if I'm asking you how a car goes, and then you say, yeah, engine goes.

Ron: Broom.

Ron: And it moves.

Ron: Yes, it all gets spread out.

Ron: But how?

Laura: I told you.

Ron: No, you're not.

Ron: You're just saying it goes in because.

Laura: It can't go straight through.

Laura: It just gets micro diverted by the thickness of whatever it's touching on.

Laura: Yeah, we did this at school.

Ron: Yeah, and you didn't retain.

Laura: Go on, then.

Ron: No.

Ron: So it's about the change in speed.

Laura: No, it isn't.

Ron: Yes, it is.

Laura: I don't think they knew that when I was at school.

Ron: Then you are 100, to be fair.

Ron: Right.

Laura: No.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: We need more space for a diagram.

Laura: I'll do it.

Laura: Here.

Ron: You just drawn a triangle like a freaking dance.

Ron: Laura, you don't understand what's happening.

Laura: Like that.

Ron: Yes, but you don't understand.

Laura: I don't want to do another page.

Ron: We need to.

Laura: Boring.

Ron: We need to.

Laura: Please.

Laura: Writing in my notepad yes, I am.

Ron: I am.

Ron: Give me this.

Ron: Right.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: So this is a see through substance.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: In glass and water and all of this stuff, light rays move slower than they do in air or a vacuum.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: So what we're going to do is for ease of drawing.

Laura: That is basically what I drew, but it's not a triangle, so that, you know, it could have been a triangle shape.

Ron: Do you want to chill out?

Ron: So what we're going to do is we're going to imagine that this is a ray of light quicker than array of light heading towards the.

Laura: Why on earth would a ray of light look like that?

Ron: It's actually a wave like this.

Ron: But this is to illustrate how the change of speed of the ray of light is going to bend it fine.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So you see how big ideas.

Laura: No, don't.

Laura: You haven't finished yet.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: So what's going to happen is.

Ron: So that's the last line that hasn't gone in then this line.

Ron: So not all of the ray of light has gone in yet, but the bit that has is now going to be slower.

Ron: So it's going to start bending like that, you see?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: And then it'll go through.

Ron: It'll go through and bend.

Ron: Right?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: And then when it starts coming out again, these bits, the bits that come out are then going to be faster.

Ron: So then they're going to return to the original line and then it's going to be faster coming out again.

Ron: So that one and that one are going to be parallel, and then it will be at a different angle going in.

Ron: When you have white light going into a prism where this happens twice, it splits out because the medium in between slows it down by a percentage rather than a set amount.

Ron: It doesn't slow it down by 500 miles an hour.

Ron: It slows it down by like 20%.

Ron: So 20% of.

Ron: No, that's bullshit what I'm saying there.

Ron: Oh, no.

Ron: It's because they've got different wavelengths, they get spread out different amounts.

Ron: So then the green will come out here and the blue and stuff will come out there.

Ron: Okay.

Ron: Because of the speed, they've all been slowed down the same amount.

Ron: Light always travels the same speed.

Ron: 300 meters/second 300,000 meters/second do you get that?

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: All right, done?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Bye.

Laura: I could have drawn that in that space, by the way.

Ron: I couldn't.

Laura: Numb d*** just put tea on himself.

Laura: Okay.

Laura: Run.

Laura: A boy with a nice face, Ron.

Laura: He's living in God's grace.

Laura: I don't know.

Laura: Hi, Ron.

Ron: Hi.

Ron: That was weird.

Laura: I'm really tired today.

Laura: I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew this week and I'm so overstimulated and overwhelmed.

Ron: Well, okay, then we'll have a really nice, calm quiz.

Ron: I have a really nice, calm episode record after Barry Merbals.

Ron: So do you remember what we were studying in the bulk of this episode, Laura?

Laura: I didn't, but I've had a look at the drawings and from the looks of it.

Laura: Oh, light, wasn't it?

Laura: Light waves.

Laura: It looks like I've drawn a water balloon or an obajin.

Laura: But I think now I remember it's a light bulb.

Laura: Light bulb.

Laura: Why can't I make notes?

Laura: Why have I written down no dangle?

Laura: What does that mean?

Laura: No dangle?

Laura: Yeah, I remember some of this.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: I mean, it's not going to get more remembered.

Laura: Let's go.

Ron: All right, so for the first question, I'd like you to describe how electron energy states interact with light particles.

Laura: Is this the shelves thing?

Ron: You tell me.

Laura: No.

Laura: Can you just tell me if it's the shelves thing?

Ron: Because that's not a.

Ron: Ron, is that the shelves thing?

Ron: That's not a quiz, mate.

Laura: Ron.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Please, can you just tell me if.

Ron: That'S the shelves thing, because that's not a quiz.

Laura: I'd really appreciate it if you told me if that was the shelves thing and then I could continue with the quiz in a very meaningful and engaged.

Ron: Way, because how could you answer in a meaningful way about something that you don't know what it is?

Ron: Because.

Ron: Laura, babe.

Ron: Laura, Laura, babe.

Laura: Laura.

Ron: I don't really want you to talk about shelves.

Ron: That's a metaphor.

Ron: You have to understand what the shelves are a metaphor for.

Laura: But if that's what this is, then I do understand it and I can explain it.

Laura: But I don't want to explain that for ages, making myself sound like a div just to have you go.

Laura: No.

Laura: At the end of it, tell me.

Ron: What the shelves are representative of.

Laura: Okay, so.

Ron: Dead air.

Laura: Let me gather myself.

Laura: I told you I was overstimulated.

Laura: So the shelf thing is representative of different states of charge that an electron can receive.

Laura: And so they.

Ron: Is it charge?

Ron: Yeah, because all electrons have the same charge, don't they?

Ron: Minus one.

Laura: What is it, then?

Ron: So you don't know what the shelves are?

Laura: I thought it was charged.

Ron: So even if I tell you.

Ron: Yes, I am talking about the shelves.

Ron: All right.

Ron: Now, seamlessly, what did you say?

Ron: Meaningfully and in an engaged way.

Ron: Please explain this.

Laura: I don't appreciate your tone.

Laura: So it's not charge.

Ron: Do you want me to read the question again?

Laura: Sure.

Ron: Please describe how electron energy states interact with light particles.

Laura: So electrons can take, can absorb energy, and there are certain levels of energy that they can absorb.

Laura: And if a light ray with one of those energy levels.

Ron: What energy levels?

Laura: Well, specific numbers.

Ron: What specific numbers?

Laura: I think we just did some random examples.

Ron: Or are they what they are numbers come from?

Laura: I don't know.

Ron: 926-3854 no, those are just random numbers.

Laura: All right, carry on.

Laura: I think.

Laura: Are they the wavelengths of different colors of light?

Laura: Rain episode.

Laura: That was sudden.

Ron: Yeah.

Ron: That's not really the rain.

Ron: That's water coming out of gutter and hitting my windowsill.

Ron: Is it a sill when it's outside?

Laura: Is that still a windowsill?

Laura: Is it a lintel?

Ron: That's not what a lintel is.

Laura: Oh, what's a lintel?

Ron: A lintel goes across the top.

Laura: Is it the wavelengths of different light rays?

Ron: Ron, I'm going to give you one mark out of three for this.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: So you've got a mark for saying that it can absorb light of certain wavelengths.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So the electrons can exist at different energy states.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: That's what the different numbers refer to, the different energy states that the electron can live on.

Ron: It can't live in between those energies.

Laura: But then you're saying live, but live doesn't mean anything exists.

Laura: Yeah.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: F***.

Ron: And then you would have gotten another mark if you'd said that they can release energy to get down from these different energy states as well.

Laura: I didn't know that.

Ron: Laura, please describe how the speed of light affects refraction.

Laura: Okay, so light moves at 300,000 meters/second always in a straight line through air.

Laura: And then when it hits a surface, it slows down if it's going.

Ron: Surface of what?

Laura: Of something it can travel through, but it will go slower.

Laura: So like water or glass or something?

Laura: It will go slower.

Laura: But the rays of light slow down at slightly different times depending on the angle that they hit the surface of what they're going through.

Laura: So the light ray bends as those different rays slow down at different points.

Laura: That is right.

Laura: I know that was right.

Ron: That's not quite right.

Laura: Everyone listening was so impressed.

Ron: I could.

Laura: Feel people walking to work, nodding.

Ron: They might be impressed, but that's because we have a few more lauras listening than Ron.

Laura: So should we just say, go on then, for that one?

Ron: All right, three marks.

Ron: Three marks out of three.

Ron: That was perfect.

Laura: Thanks, Ron.

Ron: That's the ace, that last question.

Laura: And it's three more weeks till physics, mate.

Laura: That is all I needed.

Laura: That's all I needed right now.

Ron: And now we go on to record a biology episode.

Laura: Beautiful.

Laura: And I'm going to find a pen so I can make some.

Ron: Cool, cool.

Laura: See you in a second.

Ron: Bye.

Laura: Well, or next week, I suppose, or in the outros, which will be months away.

Laura: Oh, God.

Laura: This podcast, we shouldn't have asked Christopher Nolan to be the.

Ron: No, it's too much, man.

Ron: Yeah, I mean, we had to fight him hard enough to just get a woman in it.

Laura: Hey, I think that french woman is playing me very well, though.

Laura: There we go.

Ron: Lovely stuff.

Laura: Quite enjoyed that.

Laura: My notes are.

Laura: Well, I hate that they're in pencil.

Laura: Oh, by the way, thank you, Bunson, for my gel pens that I got for Christmas.

Laura: We received some lovely Christmas presents from you lab rats.

Laura: We each got a framed sign with a collection of insults from the podcast on it.

Laura: Ron, you've got some beers, got some gel pens, and we got some, well, a mad package of absolute nonsense, really, that you guys have been writing for the last six months.

Laura: You've all lost your minds.

Laura: I'm very proud of you.

Laura: Well done.

Ron: When this episode comes out, I'll have seen it.

Ron: I have not yet.

Laura: Ron hasn't read it yet.

Laura: In fact, I haven't read it all.

Laura: Husband of the podcast started reading it, and then he got confused.

Laura: He was like, so, this is going to take you ages to read out.

Laura: And I was like, oh, we're not reading it out on the podcast.

Laura: He was like, oh, why did you ask them to do it then?

Laura: And I said, we did not ask them to do it.

Laura: This is entirely their own thing.

Laura: Husband of the podcast.

Laura: And he said, so why did they do it then?

Laura: And I said, well, why do we do the podcast?

Laura: Nobody involved with this has a solid reason for any of it.

Laura: And that's where we got to.

Laura: So, hey, I hope you had a lovely new year and Christmas and stuff.

Laura: We'll be back next week with chemistry.

Laura: It's going to be no biology next week, which we're about to record.

Laura: Brain meltiness.

Ron: I've got the best cup of tea.

Laura: Here in your weird hotel mug.

Ron: What do you mean, weird hotel mug?

Laura: That's your mug that looks like it's just on the dressing table of a hotel.

Ron: It's too big for that.

Ron: It's the perfect size of a cup of tea.

Ron: It's not quite a massive one, but it's a bit bigger than standard.

Laura: I think we've talked about this mug before.

Laura: I think you need to get more hobbies, rob.

Ron: Of hobbies.

Laura: Dearth doesn't feel like a positive word, does it?

Laura: No.

Ron: And hobbies aren't really positive.

Ron: They're just things that you busy yourself with while you chase towards death.

Laura: So is everything exactly.

Ron: Dearth.

Laura: Happy New Year.

Ron: Happy New Year's.

No comments:

Post a Comment