Lexx Education - Episode Index

Episode 1 - Biology - A Lego Brick Full of Meccano                          Introduction to cells. Episode 2 - Chemistry - Bob Marley and th...

Monday 9 September 2024

Biology Exam 2 - Foundation 2 - You Can Nut In The Background

 You Can Nut In The Background

This is another episode of Lex Education, the comedy science podcast

Laura: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Lex Education, the comedy science podcast, where comedian me, Laura Lex, tries to learn science from her non comedian younger brother, nerdy normal Ron.

Ron: Hello, I'm Ronnie.

Laura: Hello, Ron. Your arms were really stuck to the table at the beginning of this record.

Ron: Oh, uh, the dog was snuffling over there. She's chewing her own back knee.

Laura: Yeah, she loves that leg.

Ron: Yeah. Um, yeah, my arms did stick to the table, but I think I'll leave them there and then in the outros, I'll pull them off.

Laura: Oh, yeah. Okay. Pull them m off. Um, how are you, Ron?

Ron: I'm good.

Laura: Same room episode?

Ron: Yeah, we've been hanging out.

Laura: Yeah.

We're getting into the breakup timeline on the podcast, aren't we

Introduce child of the podcast, a girlfriend of the podcast today. This week.

Ron: Yeah. We're really just getting into the breakup timeline on the podcast, aren't we?

Laura: What do you mean?

Ron: Within what I mean? Yeah. What I'm just saying now we're just documenting all of the events on this side.

Laura: Well, people know.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: So we're just saying that they met.

Ron: Yeah. It's nice.

Laura: That's not like, hey, why did you split up and get back together? That's just normal chat.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Shall I cut this bit out?

Ron: I don't know.

Laura: Why do you feel weird about this, Ron?

Ron: Uh, tell you why it feels weird.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Write endlessness. See, if you think we didn't talk about it when it did happen, we only really acknowledged it, like, a month before we then got back together.

Laura: The thing is, at the point where you were comfortable acknowledging the breakup, you didn't know, uh, you were only a month away from getting back together.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: I knew. You didn't.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Um, but, hey, let's go into it in big detail. What happened, Ron. Okay. Anyway, so you made that so weird. You could have just gone, yeah, they loved each other and moved on. I think the listeners are enjoying colouring in your life in their own way. Like, they get scant details and then they just make up the rest of it. Whereas with my life, they're like, hey, it's basically like we live with her.

Ron: Yeah. Um. Um. An enigma.

Laura: Yeah.

This episode is so bad that Ron and I declared a no eating rule

Hey, speaking of child of the podcast, how weird was it in the car earlier when she was in the back of the car and she went, mummy is not mummy. Ron is mummy. A, B, C, D. Then just started singing the Alphabet. Just declared, I wasn't mummy. Ron is mummy. But really, like, Ron iss mummy. And she really talks like something german electronic.

Ron: She said that first. She was just like, ron is mummy.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Mummy is not mummy.

Laura: A, B, C, D. It was like a techno track.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Ron is mummy. Mummy is not mummy a, B, C, D, e, f, G Ron is mummy. Yeah. Yeah.

Ron: That could be the song that you sing at the live show.

Laura: No, you've got to write that.

Ron: No, you're writing it.

Laura: Ron promised it. No one wants me to write it. Um, I think the dog might be playing in your bed. She sounds upstairs.

Ron: She does. She does.

Laura: She loves sleeping on your pillows. Um. Um, Ron. Hey, listen, I I don't even know how to talk about this episode, because I think editing it might have been the worst experience of my life. And what I'm really hoping is that I've really gone through something so that the audience don't have to. This, um, episode is so bad that earlier on, Ron and I declared there was henceforth a no eating in the podcast rule.

Ron: Yeah, we're gonna up our standards after this.

Laura: I mean, not for months, because we've already pre recorded the next month of.

Ron: Content, one of those we made eating a really big part of it.

Laura: So, listen, the exams are quite snacky.

Ron: I just think.

Laura: I just think we shouldn't have chosen pistachio.

Ron: Tom really hurts me when we were complaining about all of the food noises in our own podcast, and then he was like. And you wonder why you're losing listeners. That really hurt. Uh, because it made it seem like it was our fault.

Laura: It is our fault, Ron. Uh, we make a terrible podcast, but we make a brilliant. Whatever this is. And it's not podcasting. It's family building or something like that. And then I guess what's gonna happen is, one day in the future when whatever this is that

00:05:00

Laura: we're doing has become a smash hit, we'll get credited with being the ones that started it.

Ron: Yeah. Okay. But standards are gonna be upped for two reasons. The food thing that we've just said, oh, it's disgusting. And also, um, that's undermined, to my point. Husband of the podcast, girlfriend of the podcast. You and I were playing articulate the other day, and husband in the podcast and me are so good at articulate when we played together, that you had to first ban us from doing any skips and then ban us from saying, um. Um.

Laura: And, uh, I do want to say that the bilingual trilinguality of girlfriend of the podcast. English is not her first language. Sorry to give away more details of your life, Ronnie. That's what makes the gap. Yeah, yeah. No, it's not just that you're brilliant.

Ron: But we are good together.

Laura: You are very good together. You love each other, um. Yes. You aren't allowed any skips or to say um.

Ron: Um. And it's gonna make me think a lot. I'm gonna try and use less noise fillers on the podcast.

Laura: Oh, I always cut out all your noise fillers, so the listeners already think.

Ron: I don't.

Laura: They think that every other week you're very against.

Ron: I. Yeah, but I don't cut those. I cut some of them out.

Laura: Uh, I cut a lot more than you. Um, this week, I hope. I've cut most of the stomach churning parts, but there were absolute horrifying sections where I even considered Ron just playing music through the whole episode to just sort of drown some of it out. But then that seemed so weird. Just a loop of constant music for an hour. That seemed problematic. So, listen, this is one that's really gonna test you guys. But if you want to be in this cult, you will do the fucking work. Whoa. Why did your face just get so dark? Oh, um. Nice. Um, so, I guess, go forth. Enjoy. The second half of this episode. It starts exactly where the last one ended off. We start with, um, question four, or whatever it was. Um, also, I guess I think I'm trying too hard to answer the questions in this and spending less time being funny than I should.

Ron: Don't worry. Only five episodes left to go.

Laura: Enjoy.

The protest is passed from one person to another person by mosquitoes

Ron: Malaria.

Laura: Ooh.

Ron: It's caused by a protest. The protest is passed from one person to another person by mosquitoes, which term describes the mosquito?

Laura: This came up in the question I was doing earlier about badger vectors. It's a vector, Ron. The mosquito is a vector.

Ron: Uh, yes, it is.

Laura: Well, God, I did that practising today.

Ron: Because you'd probably have said bacterium, I'd have said gene.

Laura: That seems like the most likely name for a mosquito. Jean Parmesan. We've got a cat that's been taunting her, and it did a shit on my outside table yesterday.

Ron: Legend. Are you sure that wasn't your daughter?

Laura: No, it's definitely a cat.

Ron: The malaria.

Laura: The bread I left out for the rats.

Ron: The malarial don't leave bread out for rats.

Laura: Oh, I like them.

Ron: Um, no, they give diseases to things.

Laura: I like them.

Ron: No, you'll get vile's disease.

Laura: How? I'm not touching them.

Ron: No, they piss it out.

Laura: Well, I'm not licking anything outside.

Ron: Yeah, outdoor shitting. Daughter is grubby. Mitts are all over the place. Stop feeding the rats. They are fine. Don't worry about the rats because they, uh, are not worried about you.

Laura: Oh, how do you know the malarial.

Ron: Protest is a eukaryotic cell. Figure two shows a malarial protist.

Laura: Okay, describe it. Oh, it's big. It's got like a bayou area at the top. Like an inlet.

Ron: I don't say bayou area. We famously don't know what a bayou is.

Laura: It's got a big nucleus and then it's got a couple of, um, blobs in it. In the cellulose.

Ron: Do you have two features of the malarial protist that show the cell is eukaryotic and not prokaryotic?

Laura: Fuck. Um, it is large and it does not have a cell wall. That's not right. No, it has fewer, uh, organelles.

Ron: Which one do you want to get rid of? It is large or does not have a cell wall.

Laura: Doesn't have a cell

00:10:00

Laura: wall. I want to get rid of that one.

Ron: It has fewer, uh, organelles.

Laura: Yep.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Which organism is prokaryotic?

Laura: Cow grass or salmonella? I think I've utterly forgotten what eukaryote and prokaryote meant. Uh, salmonella.

Ron: Almost done with these nuts. Happy with that?

Laura: No, I feel like I'm in the long grass here.

Ron: Your head out.

Laura: Well, I tried, Ron. I'm answering them.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: What do you want me to do?

Ron: No, that's fine.

Laura: Why?

Ron: On 4.4, the malarial protist reproduces asexually. What is a feature of asexual reproduction?

Laura: So the options are, ah, only one parent is involved. The offspring show genetic variation or two gametes fused. It's only one parent is involved. Ronnie.

Ron: Didn'T realise a human trauma in a asexual relationship. We slam on your marriage.

Laura: I mean, that's fine. He's literally in the Canary Islands right now while I deal with a child.

How many chromosomes will each new protist cell have after mitosis

Ron: Um, mitosis occurs in the malarial protest during asexual reproduction. The protist has 14 chromosomes. How many chromosomes?

Laura: I think I got this right then about salmonella.

Ron: How many chromosomes will each new protist cell have after mitosis?

Laura: The protist has 14 chromosomes and then it's going to split. Uh, it's going to have 28. Ron. M. Is that true? No. Mitosis is. The process took the.

Ron: Listen through your thinking.

Laura: So I'm trying to think. No, because they did. They. It will still have. It'll still have 14 because they double everything and then they split. So. And each one, it will still have 14. I believe it'll be 14.

Ron: Ron, final answer?

Laura: Yes.

Ron: When a person has malaria, the protists destroy red blood cells. What change would happen in the blood of a person with malaria?

Laura: We've got options. Of decreased antibodies, decreased haemoglobin, increased plasma, increased platelets.

Ron: Plasma.

Laura: Or say that weird. Plasma. Or more, uh, I'm going to say decreased haemoglobin, Ron, which I think is kept in the red blood cells.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: It's funny, we were talking to chart of the podcast about malaria earlier. Why with the hippo.

Ron: Yes, we were 4.7. Yes, it is estimated that 210 million.

Laura: People struggled with that number there, didn't you?

Ron: Yeah, I almost just said 210 million. 210 million people are infected with malaria every year. Half of the these infected people survived the disease. Calculate how many people would survive the disease in three years if the estimate is correct. Give your answer in standard form. Four marks.

Laura: Okay, so 210 million people a year are infected, half survive. That is 105 million. Calculate how many people would survive the disease in three years if the asthma is correct. So 210 over two equals 105,000,105 times three equals 315,000,000 people.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: How do you want that written at the end?

Laura: Three one, five in numbers and then million in words.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: I don't know what standard form means.

Ron: Yes, you're ignoring it.

Laura: Well, what does standard form mean?

Ron: I can't tell.

Laura: Is that an SI unit? Is there an SI unit for people?

Ron: What's an SI unit?

Laura: They're like kilogrammes, how you measure people standardly.

Ron: I guess the SI unit of people is people.

Laura: Yeah. Number of people. What does in standard form mean? Yeah, I'm just gonna do it like they did it in the question. 315 million.

Ron: The spread of millennial.

Laura: Should I do

00:15:00

Laura: it all in zeros, not write million?

Ron: That's up to you. It's asking for it in standard, um, form.

Laura: Okay. Can you put six zeros instead of the word million, please? Do you think that's better?

Ron: 123123.

Laura: So 31500.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: That means 315 million, doesn't it? Yeah, it does.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Stuff makes you doubt yourself.

Ron: Yeah. Oh, I see what's happened.

Laura: I see what's happening here.

Ron: 14. Sorry, hang on. Messed up me, uh, sheet a little bit, but that's fine.

Use mosquito nets to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes, Laura says

Question 4.8. Laura. The spread of malaria can be controlled by using mosquito nets to avoid being bitten. Describe two other ways that people can reduce the chance of being bitten by mosquitoes. Do not refer to mosquito nets in your answer.

Laura: Okay. Repellent spray. Mosquito repellent spray. And, um, not travelling to countries with mosquitoes or living in places with mosquitoes. No. Let's say wearing, covering up skin. Covering up all your skin instead of not travelling and living in places with mosquitoes. There was a very me centric answer there of like, well, just don't go there. Some people just live there, Laura. Wear long clothes, sleeping in a balaclava.

Students studied how having disorder s interacts with malaria

Ron: Different types of disease may interact. Students studied how having disorder s interacts with malaria. The scientists calculated the chance of children getting. Of, uh, children with disorder s getting malaria.

Laura: Okay, we've got table four here. Age 24, 68, going down. And then next to that, percentage chance of children with disorder s getting malaria at 270 percent, at, uh, 465 percent, at, uh, 650 percent, and at 845 percent.

Ron: Describe the trend shown in table four. Use data from table four.

Laura: Okay. Uh, the percentage chance of getting malaria with disorder s reduces as child ages. The chance of getting it at, uh, eight years old is 25% lower than at two.

Ron: Help with that?

Laura: Sure. I think I've used data. Do not write on this page.

Ron: Answer in the spaces provide question five.

Give one reason why a person needs new body cells with ageing

This question is about food and digestion.

Laura: All right.

Ron: Proteins are needed to make new body cells by mitosis. Give one reason why a person needs new body cells.

Laura: Uh, cells deteriorate over time with ageing. That's cells age and die. Is there a science y way to say that cells deteriorate over time? I think is okay, isn't it? Oh, yeah. I'll put that.

Ron: What are proteins made of?

Laura: Amino acids.

Ron: Which chemical is used to test for protein in food?

Laura: What the fuck?

Ron: Benedict's reagent. Biuret reagent or ethanol?

Laura: I have no idea. Uh, I don't think we covered this. No.

Ron: I don't remember seeing this in the scheme.

Laura: Eggs Benedict three. Agent.

Ron: Listener. Dear, if, um, we covered that, let us know. Don't know if I'd get that right.

Characteristics of enzymes are linked to their function

What colour? Question 5.4. What colour would be seen in a positive test for protein?

Laura: I have no idea. Um, the options are black, purple, red and white. I'm gonna say purple.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: Sure. I don't know why not. We did not cover this.

Ron: Enzymes break down food molecules in the human body. Characteristics of enzymes are linked to their function. Draw one line from each characteristic to its effect on enzyme function.

Laura: Okay, characteristics I've got. Has a special shape and is a catalyst effect on, um, enzyme function only fits one molecule, speeds up reactions, works fast at high ph. Characteristics of enzymes are linked to their function. Draw one line from each characteristic to its effect on enzyme function. So if it has a special shape, that logically would be it only fits one molecule. Lock and key is a catalyst, speeds up reaction. Yes, I'm gonna go with that. Uh, big dog is so beautiful. She's such a wolf.

Ron: Figure three shows how ph affects the rate of breakdown of protein.

Laura: Oh, no, I remember doing this bit. So on the y axis we've got rate of breakdown of protein. There's no figures there, though. Um, then along the bottom we've got ph from one to eleven. And then we've got sort of like a two height drop, roller coaster looking line. First high point is enzyme x. Second high point is enzyme y.

Ron: Which ph does enzyme y work fastest?

Laura: Uh, that'd be ph nine.

Ron: Ron, explain why enzyme x works best in the stomach.

Laura: Uh, enzyme x has its highest work rate at ph two, which is an, um, acidic ph level. And the stomach has acid in it.

Ron: Happy that.

Laura: Yeah. Boom, smashed it.

Ron: Complete the sentences. Choose answers from the box. The part of the enzyme that changes shape is the.

Laura: Then we've got active site antigen. Um, oh, sorry, I missed bit.

Ron: Enzyme y does not break down the protein at ph six because the shape of the enzyme has changed. The part of the enzyme that changes shape is.

Laura: Okay, so we've got active site antigen, um, glucose, starch and substrate. The part of the enzyme that changes shape is. The part of the enzyme that changes shape is that. I'm going to say the active site.

Ron: Okay?

Laura: I'm pretty sure that's where stuff happens.

Ron: And the second one.

Laura: And, uh, then the change in shape means the enzyme cannot bind to the, the, uh, and then we've got glucose, starch and substrate.

Ron: An antigen.

Laura: An antigen an active site cannot break down. Protein cannot, uh, bind to the. I'm gonna say glucose and starch don't feel right because they're nothing, they're sugars. That's not proteins, is it? So let's cut those from my thinking. Substrate and antigen. I'm going to say substrate, but it feels like a real grasp at a loose mufasa finger.

Ron: Okay? 5.9.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Amylase is an enzyme which breaks down star.

Laura: Oh, fucking hell.

Ron: A start as this start a student investigation.

Laura: Well, wait, if this was an exam, then I could go back once. I'd read that.

Ron: Do you want to go back?

Laura: Yeah. Can I say starch, please, Ron, instead of substrate?

Ron: Are you sure?

Laura: No. Should I not? One more help.

A student investigated the effect of ph on the rate of starch breakdown

Ron. One more help. One more help.

Ron: One more.

Laura: One more help.

Ron: What are you writing? Starch.

Laura: Glucose. I'm gonna say glucose.

Ron: Final answer? Yeah, said final m answer now. So that's not changing.

Laura: No, because it can change because you haven't helped me.

Ron: Amylase is an enzyme which breaks down starch. A student investigated the effect of ph and the rate of starch breakdown by amylase. Figure four shows some of the apparatus. The student news.

00:25:00

Ron: What have we got there? Laura?

Laura: Pipettes, test tubes, spotting tiles, a timer, a ten centimetre cubed measuring cylinder, uh, solutions for controlling ph. Uh, iodine solution, starch solution. An amylase solution.

Ron: Describe a method to investigate the effect of ph on the rate of starch breakdown by amylase. Six marks.

Laura: What?

Ron: Let's go.

Laura: Amylase is an enzyme breaks down shut. A student investigated the effect of ph on the rate of starch breakdown by Hamilton.

Ron: Laura, how long have we been recording?

Laura: 1 hour six.

Ron: We are on page 24 out of 40.

Laura: Whoa. Um. Um.

Ron: Looks like being on holiday, isn't it?

Laura: Yeah. I hate these ones where there's just a big gap. The effect of ph on the rate of starch breakdown. Um. Okay. Right. You just have to be able to think clearly, which is not your strong suit. Laura, no more nuts, okay? No, let me have a think before. I'm just gonna think out loud.

Ron: Let me finish my nuts, and then I can start tight.

Laura: You can nut in the background. Please don't do that. Um, let me think for a minute without you writing anything. Okay?

Ron: That's what I'm saying. Let me finish my nuts.

Laura: No, but don't type anything.

Ron: That's what I'm saying. Let me finish my nuts.

Laura: Why do I have to let you finish your nuts?

Ron: Let me finish my nuts by having a thing.

Laura: Oh, I see we're on the same page. Sorry. No.

Ron: I'm asking you to buy me try.

Laura: Yeah. Okay. Okay, so maybe there'll be some.

Ron: Is there some kind of delicious biscuit somewhere?

Laura: Yeah, probably.

Ron: That'd be nice.

Laura: There's chocolate in the fridge, too. Oh, there's maltesers, and there's Tony's chocolate, only with hazelnuts in it.

Ron: I didn't know sister of the podcast loved that so much.

Laura: Yeah, she loves it. Okay.

We're investigating the effect of ph on the rate of starch breakdown

Okay, so starch breakdown by Amalie's. So it's gonna be, uh, investigated, the effect of ph on the rate of starch breakdown. Okay, so we've got, we're going to put some solutions for controlling ph in test tubes. Then we're going to add starch solution and amylase solution. Uh, but how the fuck do you measure the breakdown? That's the bit I have no idea about. So you put all those in. Okay, so, Ron, the beginning bit is going to be, uh, you have a number of test tubes, and in each one you have a varied ph level solution, a different variant of ph level solution.

Ron: A number of test tubes in each one you have a different variant of ph solution.

Laura: Yeah. Then to each test tube, you add, ah, the same amount of starch solution and, um, the same amount of amylase solution and leave them for the same, same amount of time. Let's call it ten minutes.

Ron: I've written that as leave them both for ten minutes.

Laura: Leave them all for ten minutes.

Ron: Leave them all for ten minutes.

Laura: Um, the only thing is, though, I don't know how to measure the breakdown, so this is where it's going to come off the rails. But what I'm going to say is, at the end of ten minutes, pour the contents of the test tube into a measuring cylinder, um, measure how much solution is there, discard it and measure the next one, because I'm sure it'll be something to do with changing colour, but I don't know how.

Ron: You have a number of test tubes and in each one you have a different variant of ph solution. Then to each test tube, you add the same amount of starch solution and the same amount of amylase solution. Leave them all for ten minutes. At the end of ten minutes,

00:30:00

Ron: pour the contents into a measuring cylinder and measure how much is there. Discard it and measure the next one.

Laura: Yeah, I, um, don't know, Ron. I don't know. I know that's not right, but I have no idea.

Name the type of tissue in plants that contains stem cells

Ron: Okay, let me move on to question six.

Laura: There are no questions on this page.

Ron: How are you feeling so far, Laurie?

Laura: Like, overall, pretty good. But then there's the odd one where I just feel like I'm flailing around a tank.

Ron: Yeah. Yeah, it seemed that way. A root is a plant organisation. Plant roots contain many different types of tissue. What is a tissue? Tissue.

Laura: A tissue is a collection of cells. End of answer, full stop.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: Yeah, I think there's more to it than that, but I can't remember what it was, but I know it went like. Organelle cells. Tissue. Organ tissue.

Ron: In the tip of a plant, root contains stem cells. Stem cells can differentiate into any type of cell. Name the type of tissue in plants that contains stem cells.

Laura: Mary. Stem. Um.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: I don't know, but it's the only thing that makes sense that I can remember.

Ron: In the past, many drugs were extracted from plants.

Laura: Still happens.

Ron: Aspirin is a painkiller. Which plant is it?

Laura: The willow tree. The bark of a willow tree.

Ron: A painkiller. Almost side effect free.

Laura: Thanks, Tim.

Ron: Scientists have extracted chemical a from the deadly nightshade plant. Chemical a can be used as a painkiller. Table five shows us where chemical a is found.

Laura: So, uh, table five. Part of deadly nightshade plant. Roots, leaves and berries. Mass of chemical a in 100 grammes of plant tissue. In grammes. So in 1.3. No, in 100 grammes of roots, you got 1.3 grammes of chemical a in 100 grammes of leaves you've got 1.2 and in berries you got 0.7.

Ron: The scientists usually extract chemical a from the berries of the deadly nightshade plant. Suggest one reason why berries are used instead of leaves or roots.

Laura: Um, they are a more sustainable resource that does not require destroying or killing the plant.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yeah, I think so.

Ron: A deadly nightshade plant has chlorosis yellow leaves. The mass of chemical a found in the leaves of the plant is 60% of the mass shown in temple. Five. Calculate the mass of chemical a in 200 grammes of leaves with chlorosis. Give your answer in milligrammes.

Laura: Okay, so first of all, the mass of chemical a found in the leaves is 60% of the mass shown in table five. So we're looking for 60% of 1.2. Am I allowed to use a calculator?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Okay, so that would be 1.2 times 0.6. Uh, m. 1.2 times 0.6. It was 0.72, but then we're looking for 200 grammes of it in 200 grammes. So that would be times two. So 1.44 mass, uh, of chemical a, is that in milligrammes, though? It doesn't actually say in the table whether that is milligrammes. It just says mass of chemical a in 100 grammes of plant tissue. In grammes. No, that's in grammes. Okay, so 1.44 then to make that into milligrammes, I would divide that by 1000. Yeah, milli. No, key low is a thousand, but millimetre, uh, is a hundredth. So. Oh, God, I. I'm gonna say 0.0144 milligrammes.

Ron: Um, 0.0144

00:35:00

Ron: milligrammes.

Laura: I think so.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: No, wait, why would I be dividing that? Ah, there would be more milligrammes than grammes, so I think I need to times it by 100. Oh, for fuck's sake, I hate myself. 1.2 times 0.6 and then times that by two for 200 grammes clearly is a thousand. Millimetres to metres is hundred. So let's say it's the same for milligrammes. So I'm going to multiply it by 100. I'm gonna say 144 milligrammes. Ron?

Ron: 144 milligrammes.

Laura: Um, I think. Oh, God.

Ron: Suggest one reason why the leaves of the deadly nightshade plant have chlorosis.

Laura: I don't know what chlorosis is.

Ron: Yellow leaves says that before. Sorry, no more help. That's the last help.

Laura: Yeah, but what does that mean?

Ron: This milligrammes thing is really shaking your confidence and it's bad to see.

Chlorosis means you're not producing enough chlorophyll

Laura: I just hate feeling stupid. So just one reason why the leaves of the deadly nightshade plant have chlorosis. So let's guess. Chlorosis means you're not producing enough chlorophyll. Maybe one more help.

Ron: Don't overthink it. Why might a plant have yellow leaves? You own plants. Don't look at that one. That one's got green leaves, um, lack.

Laura: Um, of nutrients in the soil.

Ron: Is that what you want me to write down?

Laura: Yeah. I don't know. Yeah. Ugh. Ah. Does this sound soothing, listener? I like the sea. It's pistachios. What's the matter? On, um.

Ron: Nothing.

Laura: Not enough nitrogen in the soil. Nitrogenous? I don't know. Wait, it's been in the dark. Not enough light. Ah.

Ron: Which one do you want to write down? You tell me. Final answer.

Laura: No, I'm leaving it as nutrients in the soil because when I repotted my peace lily, it went green again.

Ron: Chemical a, Laura.

Laura: Yeah?

Ron: Has not been tested in large scale clinical trials in the UK.

Laura: Willing to give it a go? If that's what you're getting at.

Ron: It is important for drugs to be tested in clinical trials before drugs are approved for use by the public. Give me two reasons why the Tony's chuckle only is out list, though. Uh, for those tuning in episode two of the biology bowl. We've done it all in a one up. I guess we'd have said that in the intro. Yeah, it's requiring snacks now.

Laura: Um, yeah, probably not. Yeah, probably is.

Ron: I remember the most recent.

Laura: Oh, that was long. Um. Um, one to find out likely side effects of the drug I won't be repeating myself on.

Ron: Um, how long have we been recording, Laura?

Laura: Um, an hour, 22.

Ron: It's a lock in.

Laura: I think Miles redo was longer than this.

Ron: Yeah, but where are they? Like 60% done. Um, fucked. And how long have we been recording, Laura? Look, I just did some socials.

Laura: Let's not call it that until you've actually put it out. Whoa. Was that a story? Mm.

Ron: Mhm.

Laura: Hmm. Well, mom.

Ron: Uh, all right.

Laura: Oh, that was bacony. That was a real bacony nut. Mmm. M. You can continue to nut in the background.

Ron: Oh, the stroker is really reviving me.

Laura: Okay, all right.

Ron: And slavery free. Two reasons why.

Laura: Laura, I gave you one.

Ron: Sorry, I was not listening.

Laura: I m said I wouldn't be repeating myself, so I just get the marks there. Um, okay. To test the side effects and to, uh, understand the efficacy of the drug.

There are many online reports making claims about the effects of chemical a

Ron: Question 6.8. There are many online reports making claims about the effects of chemical a. Some of these reports are biassed, suggest one reason why a report making claims about the effects of chemical a may be biassed.

Laura: Mmm mhm. The person who commissioned the report markets a similar drug.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: 6.9. How can scientists be sure that claims about new drugs are valid?

Laura: Uh, right. Advertise the claims on social media. Ask an international company to produce the drug. Have the claims peer reviewed. Publish the claims in a newspaper. Ron, we're gonna go peer reviewed. Big peer review. Boom.

This question is about the circulatory system. Figure five shows the human heart

Ron: On to question seven.

Laura: Whoop whoop.

Ron: It's the last one.

Laura: Whoa.

Ron: This question is about the circulatory system.

Laura: Fucking hell.

Ron: Been a while, maybe years since we covered this. Figure five shows the human heart.

Laura: Yeah. Okay, we're looking at some ventricles and some atriums. They are labelled a, b, c and d. The bottom two, b and c. The top two a and da.

Ron: Which part of the heart receives oxygenated blood? Blur.

Laura: Wait, though. Is that paper like stuck on me? Or like, do you know what I mean? Like, is it going on like that? Uh, or like that? Same as doing. How do you answer this? I don't know how you're supposed to answer this question because I don't know. Do you know what I mean? Um. Which part of the heart receives oxygenated blood from the lungs? I'm gonna go with a, Ron. Okay, which is the top right as I'm looking at it. Ah, but am I remembering the way I drew it? Which I think you said was largely back to front. I'm gonna say D. Wrong.

Ron: She's saying.

Laura: I'm gonna go, Dilhouse.

Ron: Okay, which part of the heart pumps deoxygenated blood to the lungs?

Laura: Pumps it? B. C. I've got clue. Um. Um.

Ron: I've worked out how you're supposed to know this.

Laura: B, Ron. B saying b. Yeah, I don't know.

Ron: So you've said d and B so far?

Laura: Yep. Fuck it.

Ron: 7.3. A group of cells called the pacemaker controls the pace, controls the resting heart rate. Where in the heart is the pacemaker found?

Laura: Left ventricle. I actually like it that much. You can have it.

Ron: Great. She's saying left ventricle.

Laura: I've forgotten everything there is to know about the harp.

Ron: Figure six shows a cross section of an artery and of a vein.

Laura: Okay, so we've got two circles. They both have the same structure, which is elastic tissue and a ring on the outside. Then muscle tissue and a ring on the inside. But the left hand one has much thicker rings than the right hand one.

Ron: Describe two ways that the structure of an artery is different from the structure of a vein.

Laura: M I reckon the artery has thicker muscle tissue and, um, thicker elastic tissue. That's number one. Number two, the artery has a smaller flow tube. A more controllable go tube. Do you know, I can't think of the word. An artery has a more controllable flow. I, uh, don't know. Maybe let's just put the thicker elastic and thicker muscle as one and two. Let's just do that. Number one, an artery has thicker elastic tissue. Number two, artery has thicker muscle tissue.

Ron: As a more controllable go to. What are you fucking talking about? Wow. Describe two ways that they're different. Describes two ways. That's number one.

00:45:00

Ron: In coronary heart disease, the coronary arteries become narrower. A buildup of fatty material can cause a blockage in a coronary artery. Table six shows how a blockage in a coronary artery affects blood flow.

Laura: Okay, so we're looking at percentage of coronary artery that is blocked and the blood flow in centimetres cubed per minute. So if it's not, you get 100% blood flow.

Ron: This is the foundation paper from June 23. If you want to follow along.

Laura: Yeah, tell them now. One, um, it's 10%. You get a 64 blood flow centimetre cubed per minute blood flow in. Okay, you get 64 blood flow. Uh, 20% is blocked, you get 42 blood flow. If 50% is blocked, you get eight blood flow. And if 80%. If blocked, you only get two blood flow in centimetre cubed minute.

Ron: Describe the trend in table six, Laura.

Laura: Uh, the more percentage of coronary artery that is blocked, the lower the blood flow in centimetres cubed per minute. Oh, we should skip the next one because I've got draw a graph and I can't do that because we haven't printed out the paper.

Ron: Um. Um.

Laura: Basically, you've just got to plot the data from table six. And I could definitely do that.

You did get some graph questions wrong when we did this with Laura

Ron: You say that, but you did get some graph questions wrong when we did this with Laura. Uh, with Meg and your Laura.

Laura: No, I definitely get this right. No, I got it right. Meg got it wrong.

Ron: You got the first one wrong. Uh, Meg got the second one wrong.

Laura: Okay. But I've learned from my mistakes, and I definitely get this one right. All you gotta do is plot those, uh, stuff on. I can do that.

Ron: Yeah. All right, we'll do that. Because you're not gonna be happy that we skipped it, cuz.

7. Explain the effect of a partly blocked coronary artery on the human body

The next one. Hang on, m, I've lost a question here. 7.8. The penultimate question. Explain the effect of a partly blocked coronary artery on the human body for six months.

Laura: So the rate of blood flow is decreased. The heart has to work harder to pump blood around the body. The delivery of oxygen to cells is reduced because of the slowing of the blood supply within the body.

Ron: I'd be a mighty fine stenographer.

Laura: You could be one of those court people, you know that? Like a stenographer. Oh, yeah, yeah. Blood also takes stuff away sometimes, doesn't it? Um, also you may experience a slower immune system as, ah, delivery of white blood cells would also be. Be slowed by the blocked blood system.

Ron: Done.

Laura: Um, yeah.

Ron: Six marks.

Laura: Ah. Uh, yeah, I'm gonna start wildly scrabbling in a minute, so best to just stop.

Ron: The rate of blood flow is decreased. The heart has, um, to.

Laura: I don't like hearing it back.

Ron: To pump blood around the body.

Laura: Hearing it back, Ron.

Ron: The delivery of oxygen to cells is reduced because of the slowing of blood supply within the body. You may experience a slower immune system. This is. These read like T's and C's. You may experience a slow.

Laura: Yeah, because I'm trying to.

Ron: Delivery of white blood cells would be slowed by the blocked blood system.

Laura: Yeah, that's fine. I don't want you to read my words back to me.

There are different treatments for a blockage in a coronary artery

Ron: The last question then. There are, ah, different treatments for a blockage in the coron, in a coronary artery. Explain how one treatment for a blockage in a coronary artery works.

Laura: Um, you can put in a bypass, but I don't know what that is. I remember the word stent. Let's say a stent. Ron. Write down stent. Uh, a stent works by expanding the artery to increase the blood flow. It stretches it. Stop laughing, Laura.

Ron: A stent works by expanding the artery to increase the blood flow. It stretches it.

Laura: Yeah. And that bit needs to be in really scribbled writing to show it's the end of the essay and you're running out of time and you're panicking.

All right, Laura, that's the biology foundation. What do you think about it so far

Ron: All right, Laura, that's the biology foundation.

Laura: I reckon I've got at least 75% of that, though, to be fair. What do you think? If you had to guess how I've done.

Ron: What do you reckon minzies are? B, I think.

Laura: Yeah, but you can't get an a on foundation, can you?

Ron: I don't know.

Laura: I think on foundation you can. And they also. They don't do it in letters anymore, Ron. They do it in numbers.

Ron: Um, yeah, we'll be doing it in fine letter grades.

Laura: Okay. I don't think you can get a BDE. Maybe you can. Um, I thought a c is, like, the best you can get.

Ron: So, um. Yeah, it's quite hard to tell because I think you got the ones where you beefed. It were the big ones.

Laura: Yeah. I've always been bad at those, though. Where you just let me talk into oblivion.

Ron: Yeah. Um, well, we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Laura: Okay. Is anybody still here? Did anybody. Oh, sticky arms. I don't know if replacing all of our eating noises with the sounds of our limbs being stuck to the dirty parts of my house is better.

Ron: And the leather chairs.

Laura: Yeah, it's too hot to have these pleather chairs. It's too much. And this tablecloth, which was meant to save the table from being ruined, but has not. Sad beans. What is that?

Ron: Well, you did cut holes in it.

Laura: Yeah, well, we had to just stick the high chair on.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: And then water got in.

Ron: And then water got in the holes.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Big holes.

Laura: Do you reckon I can just sand that bit down and then revarnish it?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: You don't know.

Ron: I think m. You possess all the skills.

Laura: Mm hmm. Mm hmm. Um, I have really decided, Ron, especially.

Jimmy wants you to change one of his answers because it's rude

Oh, first thing. First thing on my agenda, I want to change one of my answers. The leaves turning yellow. I think it's lack of light. I think it's not nutrients in the soil.

Ron: As you know, I've already marked your.

Laura: Paper, but I haven't heard the marks yet. So could you just change that one?

Ron: No.

Laura: Why?

Ron: I don't know which question it is.

Laura: It was about plants and chlorophyll.

Ron: I'm not gonna.

Laura: No, you just find in the answers where it says nutrients in the soil and change it to light and then change the mark accordingly.

Ron: No.

Laura: Rude. Okay. Secondly, I don't want you to read my sentences back to me ever again. I hate those bits with a passion.

Ron: We're about to do the marking episodes.

Laura: I still do not want you to read my answers, Jimmy. It's horrible and hateful.

Ron: It's gonna be the large portion of these episodes.

Laura: It needs to not be. Or you need to find a different tone to do it in, because the tone you were using was rude and undermining.

Ron: I feel like I was quite kind during the exams.

Laura: Not subliminally. Subliminally. You were saying the sentences very dismissively and it hurt me.

Ron: Maybe I was trying to direct you with tone.

Laura: Don't, okay. Because it just makes me sad. It's my scurrying little mouse. Hello, poo face. Um, um. I loved our little Tim Minchin moment, though. That was my favourite part.

Ron: It was the willow tree.

Laura: Yeah, yeah, that's nice. That was just, that was, that was the essence of what this podcast should be in a little shell of stuff. Poc.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: It doesn't help that the dog is always scurrying about like a rat on heat.

Ron: Yeah. Little crab claws.

Laura: Um, um.

Ron has come up with some business ideas in lieu of a register

Have you got anything else to say, Ron?

Ron: Well, I didn't, I didn't prepare a register because I didn't know we were going to be doing intros outros today. So what I've done is I've come up with just a couple of business ideas that the listeners can have in lieu of a register. If these ideas haven't been taken already.

Laura: I have a question. If you had time to come up with the business ideas, why didn't you use that time to do a register? Because your thought process must have been, oh, we're going to record soon, and I haven't done a register, so I'll take ten minutes to come up with some business ideas.

Ron: It didn't take me ten minutes.

Laura: Is that going to be reflected in the quality of the business ideas?

Ron: No, I think these are good. Apart from the last one.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Right. Number one.

Laura: Okay, I'm listening.

Ron: Bougie baby cupboard locks that you have an app for. Um, and then you can set them not to lock at night

00:55:00

Ron: or like when the kids at nursery or napping.

Laura: I love this idea. Surely that exists.

Ron: Surely it does. But I thought it was good. And also just one button, they all open because the kid's not around.

Laura: Yeah, beautiful. Like a little magnet releases the magnet catch bump.

Ron: Exactly.

Laura: Yeah, I love it.

Ron: Um, other one. Next idea. Pine nut butter.

Laura: Mm hmm. That feels like you would eat it and instantly be the size of your house.

Ron: Doesn't that not sound delicious? Yeah, a bit of pineapple butter on, um, a cracker.

Laura: Yeah, we just. Pesto is pesto, not pine nut butter.

Ron: There's pine nuts in it, but there's also herbs, uh, and cheese.

Laura: Are you thinking like butter with pine nuts whipped into it or just like almonds?

Ron: Like peanut butter or almond butter, but.

Laura: Pineapple, does it exist?

Ron: I don't ruin the illusion.

Laura: What? It's not an illusion. Pine nut butter. It exists. Ron bona, uh, organic. No. Destiny. Organic pine nut butter. We could order some, Ron.

Ron: Damn it.

Laura: Do you want to order some and try it on the next episode? Nah. We said no eating.

Ron: No eating. Uh, crunchy pine. Oh, it sounds delicious. There's a lot of mixed nut butters with pine nut in it.

Laura: I'm looking at an organic pineut butter. Ultra smooth, 8oz, 227 grammes. It costs 23 pounds, 70 pence.

Ron: I've got 170 grammes here for nine pounds. Natural world pine nut butter. That's crunchy. I was imagining it. Smooth.

Laura: Okay, let's have a look at the reviews. This is so worth, uh, the price. The pine nut perfume is intoxicatingly delicious. It is fantastic on a piece of toast if you're a pine nut fiend like me. And when mixed with garlic oil, it will elevate your pasta dishes so easily. I also love it with ice cream, as it cuts the sweet creaminess with a faint hint of savoury nuttiness. Unadulterated goodness. Oh, it's so watery. I can't put it on bread. Says another customer. It has a slightly harmful aromatic flavour. Honey must be added to it. I will not repeat the pur chase.

Ron: Right.

Laura: I like this one. Two stars. Tastes like pine nuts, but still not very tasty. I don't think you like pine nuts, buddy.

Ron: Anyway, yes. Last idea of the list for today. Um, like.

Laura: A youtuber said that pine nuts are good, so I thought the paste would be convenient, so I bought it. No matter how many times I eat it, I can't get used to the taste. So I think it's good to have nutrition, but I gave up. Um, that sounds like one of my answers to the science examined.

Ron: Then m the last one.

Laura: Ah, the taste was delicious, but I couldn't eat a lot because it didn't suit my constitution. You shat to death after pineapple.

Ron has an idea for a shoe subscription business

Uh, sorry, Ron, continue with your last business idea.

Ron: Um, now, this one needs a bit of work shopping, but like a shoe subscription. So, up front, you pay very, very little, and you get what is a high quality pair of shoes. This is about sustainability. And then you pay every month or something. And then when the shoe breaks, you get a new pair of shoes, and, uh, you give back the old shoes to the people. Box arrives, new pair of shoes. You put old shoes in the box, you send them back. Those are recycled. That's a big part of it. Also, they're examined. So, like, if it to see, if it's just normal wear and tear, like if you fucked him up or something, then you might have to pay a surcharge for the new shoes.

Laura: Mm hmm. I feel like this could really work for the heavy footed that goes through a soul very quickly. Whereas if you're a light country dancer, maybe you're not going to go through your shoes as quickly, you're not going to get as good value for money.

Ron: What m about similar with riffin shoe subscription? Shoe breaks. You send them back that the, whatever's broken is just replaced and then you get them back.

Laura: I think you can. It's like two cobblers now.

Ron: Yes, it's cobbler's subscription. Okay, okay. It's got a name for it. It's just cobbler, but you know, like just with the r, like Tinder.

Laura: Yes, I love it. What about shoe subscription? But you have them like love film. You just get three pairs of shoes and then you're like, I fancy wearing these. And then you send them back because you're bored of them.

Ron: Them like a shoe library.

Laura: Yeah.

01:00:00

Laura: You sort of tick all the things that you think might be quite interesting and you wear them a little bit and then you send them back. And then obviously you know that you're getting second high shoes, but people are only wearing them a little bit. And then you can be like, oh, I want these ones soon because I've got an event. Send them back.

Ron: I feel like people don't like wearing other people's shoes.

Laura: Do they not?

Ron: Well, see, I bought my sneakers that I wear at the moment on vinted. Um, and someone was like, oh, I wouldn't wear second hand shoes.

Laura: Oh, I would have.

Ron: Yeah, I do.

Laura: Yeah, I do too. I've got loads of shoes off vented.

Ron: Yeah. Um, but there's something people are weird.

Laura: About feet, aren't they? They're either icked out or them, or really turned on by them.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Do you think feet are the most polarising part of the body? No.

Ron: Mhm.

Laura: Okay, what do you think is genitals? No, because not many people are totally icked out by all genitals.

Ron: I don't know. We have to cover them up all the time.

Laura: Yeah. Because we're too into them. Oh. Cause they're gross.

Ron: They leave also, like, you don't wanna like, see them on the bus.

Laura: Yeah, but I wouldn't really care. I think it's weird that you can't be naked.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: It's like a forced subscription. The second you're born, get dressed.

Ron: But it's weird how normal it is to be naked in the places that you are allowed to be naked.

Laura: I've done a gig to a naked audience before, and I just largely forgot that people were naked almost straight away.

Ron: I went to a naked spa.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: And it was fine.

Laura: And it's so quickly. I think it makes you more comfortable with bodies and have a better body image because you're constantly actually confronted with real bodies in all of their shapes and sizes, and you lose sight of, like, you know, clothes tried to, like, make you look a certain way. M whereas naked is naked nakedness.

Ron: But a subscription.

Laura: Yeah. Every three weeks, you get a letter that says, you can take your clothes off today.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Okay. Is that your last business?

Ron: Yeah, I just did three.

Laura: Okay, cool.

Should we look at baby cupboard locks with bluetooth smart batteries

Well, I did do a register.

Ron: Um, which was the best one, do you think?

Laura: Should we look at baby cupboard locks.

Ron: Automatic baby locks, bluetooth smart cabinet lock? I think I've just waited out the problem with this idea.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: You'd have to wire them all in, would you? Or there'd be batteries in there.

Laura: Yeah, you just put a little battery.

Ron: In, but then you'd have to change all the batteries in your cupboards. That would be a pain in the. In the tits.

Laura: Yeah, but it'd just be a case of opening a door and changing a little battery.

Ron: Yeah, but that's annoying. And it produces a lot of waste.

Laura: Yeah, but is it more annoying than getting a magnet out every single time? No, but they could be rechargeable batteries.

Ron: Um. Yeah, maybe if we made the batteries super easy to swap in and out. I'm not really seeing this idea anywhere.

Laura: All right, guys. Let's get the lab rats together. We're starting a company.

Ron: Guantanamo, baby. That's pretty fucking something.

Laura: That is indeed pretty fucking something. I think it gives off bad vibes. It has bad energy.

Ron: Mhm.

Laura: Keep thinking, because it's a good idea. And I don't want you to trip yourself up with this name. Is that it today? Bom Bom? Who are you? Ko tu brown.

Ron: I was laughing.

Laura: Oh.

Okay, it's time for the register. Neil Colshaw. Thank you. Neil is in charge of carefully disposing wool

Okay, it's time for the register.

Ron: Uh, register. Thank you. Neil Colshaw. Neil is in charge of carefully disposing wool, Ron and Laura's pistachio shells. And he. Dupre style. Is he the guy from Shawshank that drops the stones out of his trousers?

Laura: Read that bit. Just. Isn't that right? Who draws the stones out?

Ron: Andy Dufresne.

Laura: Oh. Who's Andy Dupre?

Ron: I think you think of you, me and Dupree. The Owen Wilson film. Maybe he goes out into the garden drops Kate's Hudson stones.

Laura: And did you refrain?

Ron: Uh, like that. Neil walks around the podcasting courtyard getting rid of all of the evidence that our podcast is a disgusting little troll hole of eating noises. We thank you for your service and the part you are playing in us burrowing to audio freedom like in the film. Yeah, it does feel a lot like climbing through 60 yards of shit.

Laura: It does. Except it's more than 60 yards. It's two and a half years. Anyway,

01:05:00

Laura: thank you, listeners. That was biology foundation. It's in the bag. We're literally just about to do the results now as we speak, though. So, classes, miss, I think you said.

01:05:15

No comments:

Post a Comment