Lexx Education - Episode Index

Episode 1 - Biology - A Lego Brick Full of Meccano                          Introduction to cells. Episode 2 - Chemistry - Bob Marley and th...

Tuesday 3 September 2024

Biology Exam - Foundation 1 - Pieces of Potato

 Biology Exam - Foundation 1 - Pieces of Potato

Laura Lex: We finally sit an exam this week, biology

Laura: Hello and welcome to another episode of, uh, Lex Education. But is it another episode or is it the culmination of everything we've been working for? It's the. The latter. Uh, um, I'm your host, Laura Lex. For the past two years, I have been learning science with my younger brother Ron. Hi, Ron.

Ron: Hello, I'm Ron.

Laura: And this week we finally sit an exam. Dun dun dun.

Ron: Is biology exam going out?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Wow.

Laura: Isn't it?

Ron: I don't know.

Laura: Yeah, we haven't recorded anything else.

Ron: Do I need to edit that? You editing?

Laura: No, I do.

Ron: I'm doing chemistry and physics.

Laura: Yeah. Why are you doing both of those?

Ron: You asked me to record them both. Yeah.

Laura: Oh, uh, that's worked out really well for me. Yeah, I think that's fair. I do the Patreon stuff, so we'll just. Yeah, we'll call that fair. Um, it's biology exam run now. Weirdly at this point that it's going out one. It's not edited yet, so you and I haven't had a chance to listen to it because we had the week from hell last week, recording all three exams on three consecutive days by six weeks time. When you guys sit down to physics, you will. Um, what you should do, really, is when we put the physics one out, listen to them all back to back, so you can really see what we went through over three days.

Ron: Yeah, but also do listen to them as they come out as well. We can't take that drop and list the stats for five weeks.

Laura: No, we can't. We can't. No. Listen to them twice, please. Um, uh, but not only have we not listened to this, also, we haven't done the results episode yet, so I don't know how I've done.

Ron: Oh, Christ, I gotta mark that.

Laura: Yeah. So we're planning. We're gonna do all six of the, uh, exam episodes, and then we will have one or two results episodes, depending on how long the results, possibly three, depending on how long the results take to go through.

Ron: And then six to nine more exam episodes.

Laura: Yes, because we are. Didn't we agree, though, that we'd only do higher tier if I got over 75% on the exam?

Ron: I don't think so.

Laura: I thought we agreed that, like, and, um, shook hands on it firmly in.

Ron: Front of a lawyer, I'd never touch your moist hooves. So we definitely haven't shaken on it.

Laura: Are you sure? It feels like. Why would we, Ron m. Do you not recall what the physics exam was like? Why do you want to do that? But worse, I will buy you a bigger trifle. Oops, spoilers.

Ron: This trifle, I won't eat it. That made me feel really sad.

Laura: Yeah, you did get really sad. I was sad because of science and you were sad because of trifle. But anyway, that's weeks away. It's biology this week, exams were quite trifling. Oh, I like it. Don't trifle with me, Ron.

Ron: It's the triflector. Triflector. Uh, of exams.

Laura: I love it. Yeah. Um, did he score? No, it wasn't a tri. Fell on the floor. But the ball didn't touch the floor. Is that anything?

Ron: I don't even get what you're trying.

Laura: To rugby a try.

Ron: Right?

Laura: Fell.

Ron: Oh, uh, it's not strong. Moving on.

Laura: Yeah, moving on.

Please join the Patreon so that I can get a laptop that works

Um, how are you, Ron? What have you been up to?

Ron: I've just been working.

Laura: You had a bank holiday yesterday. How can you possibly be moaning? You've been working a lot.

Ron: It's just like a big. It was a long day.

Laura: You're coming back to see me again next week?

Ron: Yeah, that'd be fun.

Laura: Getting a reunion with girlfriend of the podcast.

Ron: Mmm. I mean, not me. I already have that.

Laura: I just snapped one of my laptop keys. No, I can't do square brackets. I never fixed all that bruising on the screen either. It's really broken. Um, anyway, please join the Patreon so that I can get a laptop that works. Listen, um, if you're listening to this and you've listened to all the episodes. You fucking love us, you stupid shit. You fucking love us. And all it is is three pounds a month. You can afford that, probably.

Ron: Pay us.

Laura: Yeah, pay us three pounds a month, you dweebs. All of you. Every single one of you listening owes us three pounds.

Ron: Episodes of content each month. If you pay three. Yeah, that's 50 people. Episode is actually really good value. If you were to go to. And that's. That's 50 p per half hour. If you were to go to the cinema, you'd pay 13 pounds for a ticket. Let's say it's a three hour film, 13 pounds for a ticket, and then at least seven pounds on snacks. That's, uh, six pounds 66 pence per half hour. No, three pounds 33 pence per half hour. We're not even asking for, like, half that much. We're asking for like, a six that much, guys.

Laura: Yeah. Or think of it this way. Listen to us instead of going to the cinema and think how many more snacks you can have.

Ron: You don't even have to have snacks. Like the cinema is bad. So you have to snack while you're there. You don't have to snack while you listen to our podcast. You can just, like, be.

Laura: You should snack. No, don't snack during the podcast.

Ron: So you.

Laura: Yeah, yeah, you can have a soundscape of snacking. Anyway, you also get access to the discord, which is the nicest place on the Internet. It's just lovely there. Um, and we do videos for some of the Patreon stuff when the technology works, and just, look, just fucking support us, all right? We're really nice people who work hard. We deserve it.

Ron: It's really draining sometimes.

Laura: Yeah. Like when Ron and I have to be friends. Okay. Go listen to the exam. See you on the other side.

This is the first exam, and this is not how right

Hello and welcome m to. What are you doing?

Ron: I play magical. My phone.

Laura: No, no. This is the fight. This is the exact. This is everything we've been working on.

Ron: It's not like I started this thinking, oh, great, like, this is happening.

Laura: Why didn't you say? Hang on a minute. Don't start the episode.

Ron: I'm on game one out of best of three. All right, fine. I'll concede it's not ranked.

Laura: Fucking hell.

Ron: Hadn't pulled any green manor anyway. It was a green and black deck. Was doing quite well, though. Their deck sucks, Ron.

Laura: I wanted this episode to have a bit of gravitas to it. It's the fucking exam. It's the first exam, and this is not how right. We're gonna have to do a proper intro now. We were just debating. Are, uh, we gonna need to do an intro or not? And now. Yes, I believe we are.

Ron: See you. Crack a glass of wine.

Laura: Oh, it's just fucking frozen. Put it in for too long. That'll be the water that's frozen, not the alcohol. Won't it, Ron?

Ron: Concede.

Laura: I concede.

Ron: The podcast conceded my game.

Laura: Okay.

Ron: Are you happy?

Laura: Yeah. And I think the listeners are, too.

Ron: I didn't plan that.

Laura: No, but you could have said. Hang on a minute.

Ron: That could have been a longie. It was a longyear. Didn't have any green manor.

Laura: Ron, that's not an indicator that. Therefore, we shouldn't have delayed. That just means more of the episode would have had you half, uh, paying attention.

Ron: You're the one doing the exam.

Laura: Yeah, but you've got to banter with me.

Ron: You could have bantered with me about that. We should do that magic the gathering episode we keep talking about.

Laura: Yeah, we should do loads of stuff, but in order for us to do that, people should become patrons.

Ron: Fucking bean and buoyancy. Why?

Laura: Uh. Cause I'm in charge of the spreader. My wine's really frozen.

Ron: I think it's good that it's limiting the rate that you're drinking in.

Laura: But wait a minute. Isn't this all the alcohol? And that will be all the water in there. What will have frozen in my wine?

Ron: Um. Um, I think there'll be water and alcohol in there. It's only 12.5%.

Laura: I didn't even think I left it in that long. Ron's making me do higher tier.

Ron: No, we're doing foundation.

Laura: Good. I think mainly foundation stuff is what you've taught me.

Ron: I've only missed out some higher tier stuff. If it would have made you sad or would have frustrated you.

Laura: Well, I did some BBC bytes as a revision earlier, and, um, I didn't know, uh, many of the answers.

Ron: Yeah, but, like, for example, that vectors thing you brought up. We have covered that.

Laura: No.

Ron: Yes. Vectors are a way. Vectors is a way of just getting a pathogen into something we talked about that didn't.

Laura: Vectors was.

Ron: You just need to be able to apply knowledge that you learn about one thing to another thing.

Laura: No.

Ron: Yeah. So when you learn that something can be a vector, like a mosquito is a vector.

Laura: No, because you didn't say a mosquito is a vector.

Ron: I did. We've talked about this.

Laura: No.

Ron: Yes, we have.

Laura: Wait, are we doing physics? I thought we were doing biology.

Ron: Why would we be doing biology?

Because we always start with biology. I thought we were doing physics right now

Laura: Because we always start with biology.

Ron: You said something about. Hang on, let me find all the other things that we need.

Laura: I thought we would.

Ron: I thought we were doing physics right now.

Laura: I thought we'd would do them in the order that we've learned them in.

Ron: Yeah, we will probably now.

Laura: So this is the third exam.

Ron: Um, no, we'll do m biology. Hang on. God.

Laura: We have gone backwards in two years. I'm gonna carry on with this revision.

Ron: Bloody hell.

Laura: Respiration releases energy for cells to complete life processes. State the product. See anybody? That was like, I wonder what format they're gonna use for the examinal. Same format we use every episode. Slinky. Nonsense.

Ron: Slinky.

Laura: Was it called pinky?

Ron: Slinky in the print?

Laura: State the product or products. Hey, that's my tour title of anaerobic respiration. Uh, produces cellphone. Respiration releases energy for cells to complete life process. State the product.

Ron: Right. You got the papers now.

Laura: Okay, good. Cause I don't know the answer to that.

Ron: Good reading, though.

Laura: Uh uh. Okay. Okay. Oh, you've sent me the mark scheme.

Ron: No, don't look at that fuck.

Laura: Uh, emboldening.

Ron: Don't look at the mark scheme, please.

Laura: Why? You sent it to me.

Ron: Yeah, but obviously I meant to send you the. Alright. Okay. Are you ready?

Laura: Yeah. So just the exam.

Ron: Yeah. Um, well, keep the. You might. No, you won't need formulas for this. You'll be fine.

Which part of a plant is the largest? A guard cell

Okay. Laura, question one. You ready?

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Question one. Plants are made of cells. Do you want your notebook? You can write. You want some paper?

Laura: Do I need any?

Ron: Well, I'm gonna record your answers for marking, but you might want to, you know. No, you'll just riff it. Okay, great. Plants are made of cells, tissues and organs.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Which part of a plant is the largest? A guard cell. A, uh, leaf or a root hair.

Laura: A leaf. This feels too easy.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yeah, isn't it? Oops. I don't like not knowing the answers right now.

Ron: You'll find out in a later episode.

Laura: Can I know now? We could eat that out for the listeners. No, a leaf, surely, because the guard cell is in a leaf. They're the ones that go around the stigmatas. And a root hair would be on a root. So the little bum holes.

Ron: Yeah. Ah, those thick martyrs is what Jesus had.

Laura: He had little bones on his leaves. Do you think that's why they're called stomata, uh, stigmatas?

Ron: They probably both comes from the latin.

Laura: Yeah, yeah. Huh. Um. Um. Yeah, I think it's gotta be a leaf. I think they're easing us in.

Ron: All right.

Laura: Is it a leaf, Ron? Just tell me that one.

Ron: I have recorded your answer, uh, Ron.

Laura: But just give me that one to give me some confidence going in like an invigilator, just raising an eyebrow like. Well done.

Ron: That never happens.

Laura: It does.

Students investigated the effect of concentration of salt solution on the mass of pieces of potato

Ron: Students investigated the effect of concentration of salt solution on the mass of pieces of potato. This is the method used. One, cut two pieces of potato to the same size. Two, record the mass of each piece of potato. Three, place one piece of potato. You put the picture in your pack. Um, place one piece of potato into a beaker containing a dilute salt solution. Four, place the other piece of potato to a beaker containing a concentrated, uh, did I just read that? No. Containing a concentrated salt solution. Five. After 20 minutes, remove each piece of potato from its solution. Six, record the change in mass of each piece of potato. Seven. Repeat steps one to six two more times and table one shows the results. Laura, describe the results to the listener, please.

Laura: Okay, so we've got table one here. Um, in the furthest left column we've got solution, and then underneath that we've got the dilute salt solution and the concentrated salt solution. And then across the top we've got the change in mass of piece of potato in grammes. And then test one, test two, test three, mean in the dilute salt solution. The result of test one was 1.1. Test two, one, um, point one, test three, 1.4. So I am assuming that means it's gone up by 1.1 and 1.4 grammes. Uh, the mean, it just has an x. Okay. Concentrated salt solution is -7.2 -6.8 and -32.4 the fuck happened in test three? And the mean is minus seven.

Ron: Okay, so the first thing you need to do, Laura, is calculate what the mean value x is in table one.

Laura: Um, okay, so I believe to do that from mean average mode is the most one. So if it was a modal average, it'd be 1.1. Median is the middle of them, mean is add them all up and divide them. So if we add all of those up, we get 3.6. So then divide them by three is 1.2.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Correct.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: Mm mhm hmm.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: I don't like the final answer bit.

Ron: Because you always just take the first thing you say. That's fucking dicey territory for you.

Laura: But historically when you said, are, ah, you sure it's always meant to. You're wrong. Try again.

Ron: But are you sure?

Laura: No, uh, but I'm confident.

Ron: It's blustery.

Laura: It is blustery. Today I was thinking about a joke about that, but it's so niche. But I can't get the joke out my head because there's nothing I can do with it.

Ron: Is it about bluster, Booth, or.

Laura: No. Uh, you know the winds that pick up in the afternoon? They're called katabatic winds.

Ron: Sure.

Laura: And it's where.

Ron: I don't think that is what kiabatics, the catchmatic winds is about it. Like coming off the land or something.

Laura: Yeah, that's this because we live by the sea. So that's where the land's got hot.

Ron: It's not about the afternoon.

Laura: No, but it tends to happen in the afternoon because that's when the winds got hot, the lands got hot, and that's it. So I was thinking of a joke of your nickname being katabatic because you blow in the afternoon.

Ron: Yeah, there's something there.

Laura: Yeah, but you'd really have to know a lot of stuff. Yeah, but it just. Yeah.

There is an anomalous result for the concentrated salt solution in table one

Ron: Anyway, there is an anomalous result for the concentrated salt solution in table one. Um, draw a ring around the anomalous result, Laura?

Laura: Well, I'd say it's the -32.4 because it's the one that made me say WTF when I was reading them out. So I'm gonna go with my gut. 32.4 is maybe it was a slightly larger piece of potato in test three, because test three in the first bit did get 1.4, but 32.4 seems wild.

Ron: What did the students. Is that your final answer?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Yeah. What did the students do with the anomalous result when calculating the mean in table one?

Laura: Oh, my God. They fucked it off. Yeah, because the mean is seven, so that, uh, they just didn't use that. That's not okay. Oh, you know, actually, maybe you're meant to do. You plot them all in a graph and get rid of the anomalous ones and then use the ones that, uh, follow the line.

Ron: The question is, what did the students do with the anomalous results when calculating the mean in table one?

Laura: Um, they ignored it. Look at my picture of a dog that you got me.

Ron: Yeah. Good Macky energy.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: So they ignored it. That's what you want.

Laura: What did the students do with the anomalous result when calculating the mean in table one? Um, yeah, they ignored it when they were calculating them. Yes. I'm happy with they ignored it. Okay, Ron, should I say something else? Please tell me, because I'm right, aren't I? Ron, Ron, this is an example. No, I know, but come on.

Ron: You're happy with they ignored it.

Laura: Okay. No, because this is a third. It's like a st. Peter thing. Okay? They did not use it to calculate the mean. They excluded it from the calculation. That's what I want to say. They excluded the anomalous result from the calculation and only used the nonnomilious ones. That's too much. Okay. Just. They excluded it from the calculation. One.

Ron: They m excluded the anomalous result from the calculator.

Laura: Yes, please, one.

Ron: You happy with that?

Laura: Yes, I am.

Ron: See, how they ignored it could mean that they didn't care that it was an anomalous result.

Laura: Oh, yeah.

Ron: So that's quite ambiguous language.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Whereas what you've done now is made it very clear.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Okay.

What name is given to a variable kept the same during an investigation

Ron: What name is given to a variable that is kept the same during an investigation?

Laura: Control variable. Ron Hundo percent on that one.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: Final answer.

Ron: Uh, one variable the students kept the same during the investigation was the size of the pieces of potato. Which other variable do students keep the same?

Laura: Uh, the options here are change in mass of pieces of potatoes, concentration of salt solution and time in the salt solution. No, the other control is the time in the salt solution.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: Lock it in. It's the final answer.

Ron: Um, the pieces of potato. Don't shout into a can. The pieces of potato in the concentrated salt solution decreased in mass. Complete the sentence. Choose the answer from the box. Water moved out of the potato by the process of.

Laura: It says excretion osmosis or respiration. Osmosis is water transferring across a membrane. So I think it water. What's the question? Water moved out of the potato by the process of. It's not excretion, is it? I'm gonna say osmosis.

Ron: Ron, final answer.

Laura: M. Yeah, yeah. Yep.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: It didn't poop it out.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: Oh, no. It pooped it out.

Question number eight. Which particles can pass through a partially permeable membrane

Ron: Question number eight. The potato cells have a partially permeable membrane.

Laura: Pieces of potato have partially partially permeable membrane.

Ron: M. Which particles can pass through a partially permeable membrane?

Laura: Who wrote this digger? Which particles can pass through a partially permeable membrane? The options are no particles, some particles, and all particles. I'm going to say some particles.

Ron: See, this is why I wanted to do higher tier.

Laura: Why? I don't think I've got these. All right? Have I?

Ron: Did you. Oh, no. Because this question is, what does partially m mean?

Laura: I'm fine with that. Shut up, Ron.

Ron: You said some particles.

Laura: I did.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: Oh, my wine is thawed.

Ron: Maybe you did just drink lots of alcohol.

Laura: I'm very smart when I'm drunk.

Question number nine: How could students improve their investigation

Ron: Question number nine. How could the students improve their investigation?

Laura: Suck it off. Um, boil the pieces of potato at the start. Leave the skin on some pieces of potato. Use more concentrations of salt solution. See, I think they've made this question quite vague here, because improve is a vague word. Um, I think for, if I take improve to mean, tell us more about the excretion or osmosis rate of the potato.

Ron: What was the purpose of the experiment?

Laura: I have no idea. Did you? Tell me it does say, okay, hang on, hang on, hang on.

Ron: Sometimes you have to read the question.

Laura: I listened to it, investigated the effect of concentration of salt solution. Therefore, Ron, I'm going to choose use more concentrations of salt solution.

Ron: That's the last help you're going to get.

Laura: What? Why?

Ron: Because this is an exam.

Laura: Yeah, I still think you should be reading the questions, marching up and down the room like an invigilator.

Ron: We didn't get any sweets for.

Laura: We didn't film any of this. We're bad at podcasting. We're real bad at podcasting. Sorry, listeners. But, hey, it is what it is at this point.

Laura: Somebody text me for advice on podcasting today

Ron: All right, Laura, you ready for question two?

Laura: Somebody text me for advice on podcasting today. It took all my effort not to just laugh in a voice note back. I've now been at the helm of two, frankly, very unsuccessful podcasts. You don't want my advice.

Ron: Cult followings, though. But, like, more waco, Texas.

Laura: I seriously think that we could take all of our, uh, patrons and go and live in a commune and have a genuinely delightful life.

Ron: Oh, yeah, we've picked a good bunch.

Laura: We didn't pick them, Ron, but I think that's because we haven't asked for much money.

Ron: Yeah, for some reason, we lowballed and then just complained about it.

Laura: No, you're the one that complains. I want there to be thousands of low ballers. No, there aren't. But now I can't fleece the people who are in.

Ron: No, we just need to, like, bump, um, up and have a second tier that we.

Laura: But people can choose to do that anyway.

Ron: Yeah, but if we. If, like, there just. There just needs to be token gestures.

Laura: But you never do those token gestures. What the tier would be is please pay us five pounds a month instead of three. And one time, Ron will do a gesture, and then we'll never do it again.

Ron: I've kept the register up. It's dropped off recently. Sure. We've done hundreds of registers. I think a hundred is over a hundred.

Laura: I don't think we have done over a hundred.

Ron: I think we've done over a hundred.

Laura: I don't think we have, because I think this is episode 100. 616. Yes, and there's definitely been more than 16 episodes that didn't have one.

Ron: Yeah, but sometimes we do, like, three registers per.

Laura: No, you can't count each name as its own register.

Ron: Well, then it's hard to expect me to have done hundreds of anything on this podcast.

Laura: Yeah, I just want you to have done multiples of anything.

Ron: I've done loads of registers.

Laura: You've done some registers?

Ron: I've done loads.

The body has defences to stop viruses entering, Ron says

Anyway, question number two.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Viruses cause disease 2.1. What name is given to microorganisms that.

Laura: Cause disease pathogens, predators, or producers? Well, I've worked with some pretty shitty producers that have made me sick. She get on that casting couch? Um, but, um, sexual predation aside, pathogens. Wrong. Sort of sounds like an irishman, doesn't it? Pat Hogan. Put that down. In the Patreon ideas, Rusty Sugar and Pat Hogan go on an adventure. Yeah. Final answer pathogens.

Ron: The body has defences to stop viruses entering. Draw one line from each defence to the part of the body that provides that defence.

Laura: Okay, what are we looking at? So, the defence, mucuses are, uh, a physical barrier that stops viruses entering and mucus that traps viruses. And the part of the body that provides the defence? Brain, heart, nose, skin. So the physical barrier, Ron, is skin and the mucus is in my brain, but most people's noses. So we're going to go mucus to nose.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yes. I'm on a roll now. I'm feeling confident doing odd right outside the box.

Ron: Some viruses can cause tumours to develops.

Laura: Develops.

Ron: Some viruses can cause tumours to develop. Complete the sentence. A tumour can form when changes to.

Laura: Cells cause uncontrolled cell digestion, division or metabolism. Uh, it's division run, because that is how a cell, it divides and then turns into another one and it grows. A big thing. Division. Final answer, less chance to sell division. Yes.

Don't you dare ever bring up scouting for girls on this podcast again

Ron: Don't you dare ever bring up scouting for girls on this podcast again.

Laura: Do you hate scouting for girls?

Ron: Yes.

Laura: Why?

Ron: I just think it's really joyless.

Laura: I don't know if I know another scouting for girls song and I wish.

Ron: I was James Bond the day kissing all the girls blow the bad guys away I have a licence. I. That's awful.

Laura: I'm sorry you feel that way.

Ron: I feel. I feel very, very strongly about two bands, one of them being scouting for girls, the other one being the pet shop boys.

Laura: Oh, pet shop boys. What's their music?

Ron: Uh.

Laura: West and boys. That's petrol poison.

Ron: Yeah. It sounds like just two men sighing into a keyboard.

Laura: Yeah. Delish.

Which two sentences describe malignant tumours best

Ron: Malignant tumours are cancers, Laura.

Laura: Aw, yeah.

Ron: Malignant tumours are cancers. Which two sentences describe malignant tumours?

Laura: Malignant tumours are only found in the reproductive system. That's not true. Malignant tumours contain digestive enzymes. I do not know that. Malignant tumours do not change in size. I don't think that's true. It's benign ones that are not scary. Malignant tumours have cells that can spread to other parts of the body. I reckon that's true. Malignant tumours may form secondary tumours. I'm gonna go with the last two, Ron. Secondary tumours and cells that can spread.

Ron: Final answer. Um. Um.

Laura: Yeah. It could be that digestive enzymes thing, but I doubt it.

Question one: Percentage of females with HPV has decreased from 2010 to 2016

Ron: Question the next.

Laura: HPV.

Ron: Ah. Is a virus that can cause one type of cancer in females in the UK. Since 2008, most twelve to 13 year old females have been vaccinated.

Laura: There's something really icky about hearing you say females.

Ron: Yeah, it's grim.

Laura: Yeah, it's got real Internet vibes.

Ron: Gals. In the UK, ladies 2000, 812 to 13 year old tarts have been vaccinated against HPV. Scientists investigated the percentage of 16 to 18 year old tarts with hpV.

Laura: Okay, so then we've got a table. Table two. Um, if you're at a wedding, you'd be chuffed to be on it. Uh, we've got the years going down the side. 20, 10, 20, 12, 20, 14, 20, 16. And then on the right, we've got percentage of 16 to 18 year old girls. Girls. Girls with HPV. And we've got 8.2 in 2010, 3.2 in 2012, 2.0 in 2014, and, um, 1.6 in 2016.

Ron: What does table two show about the percentage of females with HPV from 2010 to 2016?

Laura: Okay. And there is only one mark available for this. So I think we can play it safe and say the rate. The percentage of 16 to 18 year old females with HPV has decreased.

Ron: Sorry, hang on. I should have been writing this down.

Laura: Yeah. Cleaning your fucking water bottle.

Ron: Look, there's, like, black mould in it, and I need to drink water while we do this podcast. So it was actually for, uh, health and safety.

Laura: Just drink it out of a cup.

Ron: I like my bottle.

Laura: Yeah. Cause it's mouldy and you're getting the black mould spores in your brain. You're gonna start hating trans people soon. Have you not seen this theory? Yeah, yeah, it's good stuff. Um, are you ready? Can I tell you to stop?

Ron: I stop.

Laura: What do you want?

Ron: I was putting it back, so I stopped.

Laura: Now it hasn't stopped, though, is it? It's continuing. You could have just put it all down and jumped back into the job you were doing.

Ron: Shut up.

Laura: You're a silly bitch. The rate, uh, the percentage of 16 to 18 year old females with HPV has decreased significantly. Yeah, I'm throwing it in there, Ron. I'm not afraid to be bold.

Ron: You're not afraid to editorialise in your tensity?

Laura: Uh, from 2010 to 2016, the table shows a decrease every year that was measured. Boom.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: What are you doing now?

Laura: Oh, uh, Charlotte's got norovirus.

Ron: What's? Right, so you should be fucking talking to her, because we're learning about viruses right now.

Laura: Yeah, she doesn't know why she's got it. It's just not. Wow. And listen, we're husbandless this week, so we gotta help each other out with our babies.

Ron: But the baby doesn't have it.

Laura: No, but how do you solo parent and, um, go back to work when you've got norovirus?

Ron: Don't go back to work. Call in sick.

Laura: Yeah, but she was probably already at work when she found out she had it. And it's really hard to have a baby when you're puking and pooping all the time.

Ron: It's 07:15 she wouldn't have been at work right now.

Laura: Yeah, but. So she's alone with a baby.

Ron: Yeah, you're alone with baby me. Wah wah.

The percentage of 16 to 18 year old females with hpv has decreased significantly

Let's do this podcast. Come on. Suggest the reason for the change you described in question. Zero 2.5. Laura, to remind you, what you said was the percentage of 16 to 18 year old females with hpv has decreased significantly from 2010 to 2016. The table shows a decrease every year that was measured.

Laura: So the reason for the change is that. So from 2012 onwards, the 16 to 18 year olds being assessed for hpv virus. No, from 2012 onwards, the 16 to 18 year olds with six. From 2012, imagine, I think, crossing this out. Okay, so from 2012 onwards, 16 to 18 year old females would have been vaccinated. And, um, as the years progress, more and more of those 16 to 18 year olds are vaccinated. So the unvaccinated females are ageing out of the test.

Ron: Okay, final answer.

Laura: That doesn't feel good.

Ron: HPv vaccine contains an inactive form of the virus. The inactive form of the virus is injected into the body. 2.7. Which part of the blood responds to the inactive virus?

Laura: White blood cells.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: Um, yes. I picture them like Crusader nights for a bonus mark.

Ron: What year did the album White Blood cells by the white stripes come out?

Laura: 2016.

Ron: Uh, yeah, that's really wrong. Uh, I think they broke up in.

Laura: Like, 2008 and then did that reversal album in 2016.

Ron: What is produced in the body in response to the inactive virus?

Laura: Antibodies.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yeah, they can hold ten times their body weight. Oh, my God. Ron, I saw an ants nest this morning, and the eggs of the ants were, like, the same size as the ants themselves.

Ron: Okay.

Laura: It was crazy.

Ron: Why?

Laura: What was? Why? Why is that mad? Yeah, why that their eggs are the same size as their adult ones?

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Does that not seem crazy to you?

Ron: Are you expecting, like, a small baby ant to hatch out of that and then grow into an adult ant? Yeah.

Laura: Do they note I.

Ron: They have a larval form a lot like how caterpillars turn into butterflies. Oh.

Laura: Uh, so those were full ants in a larval.

Ron: No, it's like a little maggot thing. Like a baby ant.

Laura: No, they're not eggs.

Ron: No, those are eggs. The eggs hatch into, like, little grubs. The grubs, I think. Am I going mad?

Laura: I don't know. Baby ants do not exist. Look at these one. Look. They don't look like grubs. No.

Ron: M. I think those are eggs.

Laura: But they've got grubs in them.

Ron: Yeah, I think they've got grubs in them. And then the grubs turn into ants.

Laura: Oh, um.

Ron: Yeah. When the eggs hatch, they become helpless larvae that are grub like, in. Yeah. And then they undergo metamorphosis. Like a, uh, like a butterfly does.

Laura: No. Okay. I didn't know that.

Ron: Suggest one. 2.91.

Suggest one reason why some parents refuse to allow their children to have HPV vaccine

Laura: Okay, we're back.

Ron: Suggest one reason why some parents refuse to allow their children to have the hpv vaccine. Do not refer to the pain of the injection in your arms. Answer.

Laura: Um, some parents believe vaccines contain chips about five g. I think with HPV, though, aren't, um, there, uh, some parents that think you can only get it, like, because it's vag related, it's sex related. So they don't want their children to have it because their children are not sexually active. I have put two reasons. Now.

Ron: Some parents believe vaccines contain chips about.

Laura: Cut that bit. Cut that bit. Let me read this back.

Ron: Um, some parents believe vaccines contain chips about 5g in them.

Laura: Not that way.

Ron: I think with HPV, though, I think there are some parents that think it's because it's m vag related. It's sex related. So they don't want them to have it because they don't want their children to become sexually active.

Laura: Okay. Can you cut all of it until they don't want them to have it because you're that last bit. Okay.

Ron: So they don't. They don't want them to have it because they don't want their children to become sexually active. That's all you want in there.

Laura: And they don't believe the vaccine is necessary unless you are sexually active.

Ron: They don't want them to have it because they don't want their children to become sexually active. And they don't believe the vaccine is necessary unless you are sexually active. You happy with that?

Laura: No. Can you cut the bit about not wanting them to be sexually active? So it's just like, they don't want them to have it because they don't believe the vaccine is necessary unless you are sexually active.

Ron: They don't want them to have it because they don't believe the vaccine is necessary unless you are sexually active.

Laura: Maybe it should be. They don't believe you can get HPV. Hmm. Mhm. They don't believe you can get HPV unless you're sexually active.

Ron: So just new answer completely.

Laura: No, they don't want them to have it because they don't believe you can get HPV unless you're sexually active. Oh, should we just put religious reasons? She just cut it. Religious reasons. What would you put on?

Ron: I can't say.

Laura: Yeah, you can. I think I've overthought this one. Now let's go back to the 5G.

Ron: They don't want them to have it because they don't believe you can get hpv unless you are sexually active. You happy with that?

Laura: Uh, yeah.

Ron: I think they did bad branding with hpv because it sounds a bit like HIV.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Which had bad press.

Laura: Yeah, they're making hella strides with HIV. Ah. Though it's incredible.

How many questions are there? Quite a lot. How long have we been recording? 30 minutes

Ron: We're on to question three.

Laura: Ooh. How many questions are there?

Ron: Quite a lot. Oh, uh, God, seven questions.

Laura: Oh, that's fine.

Ron: How long have we been recording?

Laura: 30 minutes.

Ron: Okay, this might be a two episode thing.

Laura: Nah, it's about right, isn't it? We're about halfway. No, we've only done two.

Ron: Yeah, we've done two out of seven.

Photosynthesis produces oxygen. Explain how oxygen is used in cells

Laura: Okay, let's go.

Ron: Photosynthesis produces oxygen.

Laura: I don't understand. People who are like podcasts need to be 45 minutes long. It's never even occurred to me to see how long an episode is. Because if I don't want to listen to it all in one go, I just turn it off and listen to it later. Yeah, I don't really understand that whole bit about, like, the length mattering.

Ron: It's free content.

Laura: Yeah. If it's 3 hours long, it doesn't mean I'm like, oh, here we go. This is the next 3 hours of my life.

Ron: You can press pause, complete the word equation for photosynthesis.

Laura: Oh, Christ. Okay, so I've got blank plus blank, arrow forwards blank plus oxygen. So it definitely results in glucose and oxygen. So the third blank is glucose. And then the two things that go into it are carbon dioxide and water equals arrow. Glucose and oxygen.

Ron: Final m answer.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: Explain how oxygen is used in cells.

Laura: Now you're giving me a guilty look here because, you know, I don't know.

Ron: No, I'm looking at you like that because you looked at me in sheer panic.

Laura: How oxygen is used in cells.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: It's not.

Ron: What?

Laura: Oxygen in cells.

Ron: Have some. I'm gonna get some water while you do this. Maybe a snack.

Laura: I've got pistachios. If you want something noisy. I've got olives, actually. Explain how oxygen is used in cells. Is it used in cells? They respirate out. Um, um, well, it doesn't m I'm assuming we're talking about plants, though. Photosynthesis produces oxygen. Explain how oxygen is used in cells. I don't think oxygen's ever come up in a cell.

Ron: That's a massive water.

Laura: Yeah, well, I was in the, um, world foods aisle, and it's way cheaper to buy pistachios from there. That bag was seven pound 50. I thought that was quite reasonable for that many pistachio. Explain how oxygen is used in cells, Ron. Does it specifically mean plant cells?

Ron: You have the same question I have.

Laura: I can't believe you're actually gonna sit here in a noisy ass mustachio.

Ron: It's an exam. I'm gonna put you off.

Laura: Why are you gnawing the bag?

Ron: Get the bag open. I'm not going to be rustling the bag the whole time.

Laura: Don't worry.

Ron: Making a mess over here.

Laura: I just cleaned my entire house today, and you're just pouring pistachios onto my newly wiped table.

Ron: The problem is the dust coming off them.

Laura: I don't even know where to start with this one. Ronnie, explain how oxygen is used in cells.

Ron: What about oxygen is used in cells?

Laura: Is it? I don't, I thought it was like a byproduct. They got rid of it, they respire it out.

Ron: You can skip it. It'll be more fun for the podcast if you said something, then.

Laura: Yeah, I'm trying, Ron. I'm not being grudging.

Student investigated effect of light from different coloured light bulbs on photosynthesis

Um, okay, so in my revision this afternoon, when I was bite sizing, I, uh. In the ribosomes, they make amino acids. So let's say it is used with nutrients from the soil to make amino acid proteins. That's my answer, because I really don't know this one, and I feel quite sad to have just come across a black hole. Would you like a pistachio? Yes. Mackey, come on up. What's this? What's this? Baby Mackie?

Ron: A student investigated the effect of light from different coloured light bulbs on photosynthesis. The student used pondweed in a beaker of water, used different coloured light bulbs in the lamp, counted the number of bubbles of oxygen the pondweed produced in two minutes for each colour of light bulb, 3.3. Give one hazard the student would need to consider when using the apparatus in the investigation, give the risk the hazard would cause.

Laura: Okay, so hazard. The light bulb would get hot during the experiment.

Ron: Okay, final answer.

Laura: Yes. And risk the student might get burned.

Ron: Anything else we want to add?

Laura: No, because there's only two marks there. So I reckon just hot and burn are the words that people are looking for. It's hot and it's burn. It's one and it's two. You got the full marks? Yes. The dog box.

Ron: The student needed to keep the temperature of the water in the beaker the same throughout the investigation. Describe how the student could keep the temperature of the water the same throughout the investigation.

Laura: Could put m the water in a bain marie. Could insulate the beaker. Ron, insulate the beaker one.

Ron: Yep.

Laura: Yeah. What I would choose to do is do a double glass beaker, like those bodum coffee mugs that were just double glass, because then you could really see bubbles, but also insulated. I'd use a vacuum glass. If they're coming to me for suggestions. Trust him, they're not.

Ron: The beaker of water contained pondweed. Explain why the temperature of the water in the beaker needs to be kept the same throughout the investigation.

Laura: Um. Um.

Ron: I love mustachio.

Laura: Yeah, they're really good. Fun. Co. Um, why does it need to be the same? Because the temperature affects the energy available and, um, affect the rate of respiration and of chemical reaction in the water.

Ron: Final answer?

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: Happy with that?

Laura: No.

Ron: Table three shows the results.

Laura: Okay, so on the left we've got colour of light bulb. Blue green. Red, yellow going down. Uh, on table three, on the right hand side, still saying table. We've got number of bottles of oxygen produced in two minutes. Whoa. Blue 46. Green eight. Green. Shit, isn't it? Red 38. Yellow 29. I feel like I'm playing american football. Blue 46. You know when they call the plays of.

Ron: Oh, more like a tombola, really.

Laura: Bingo.

Ron: Which colour of light caused the highest rate of photosynthesis in podweed?

Laura: Uh, green, blue. Blue.

Ron: Final answer.

Laura: Blue grey blue.

Ron: What is the best way to display the data in table three?

Laura: Uh, so the options are bar graph, line graph and scatter graph. I think I would go bar graph, run.

Ron: Line.

Laura: Yes.

Ron: The student wanted to measure the volume of oxygen produced in two minutes. Name one piece of apparatus the student could use to measure the volume of oxygen.

Laura: A balloon.

Ron: I don't want to.

Laura: Yeah, you could, couldn't you, Ron? Ron, uh, could you use a balloon? What is a piece of apparatus you could use? I don't know. Any apparatuses.

Ron: Might be balloon.

Laura: It's not fucking balloon, is it? What would you say miles is locked. Now submitted. What would you say that is?

Ron: Locked.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: I'm not gonna tell you what I'd say because that will happen in the answers episode.

Figure one shows relationship between light intensity and rate of photosynthesis

But once the option was in the balloon.

Laura: Yeah.

Ron: What then?

Laura: Oh, you could squeeze it onto something else then.

Ron: Would that.

Laura: What was the name of evaporators? Syringe.

Ron: If you had to.

Laura: Syringe. Put syringe.

Ron: Too late.

Laura: Can.

Ron: No, you locked in. I said you weren't getting any more help.

Laura: What would you say?

Ron: Yeah, I just said syringe. Oh.

Laura: Um. I didn't think that would fit over the top of a beaker. Like a really big syringe.

Ron: Use other bits of apparatus to catch the gas.

Laura: Yeah. A balloon.

Ron: Yeah, but I won't measure it.

Laura: Could if you had sizes on the balloon. Like if you knew that, uh, the clown face you've drawn on the balloon was a certain size. Depending on how it was, then you could measure it.

Ron: But what if it wasn't that size after two minutes?

Laura: No, but you, you'd have loads of different sizes. So you draw the clown face on and then you'd measure the size of the clown at different puff outs. Inflation levels 3.9.

Ron: Another student investigated the intensity.

Laura: Oh, shit. They haven't used a bar chart.

Ron: Light intensity and the rate of photosynthesis. What do we got?

Laura: Okay, so figure one shows the results. On the y axis goes from zero to 20. And, um, it is the rate of photosynthesis in arbitrary units. And across the x axis it goes from zero to five. Light intensity in thousands of lux.

Ron: Describe what figure one shows about the relationship between light intensity and the rate of photosynthesis.

Laura: Uh, as, uh, the light intensity rises. The rate of photosynthesis increases at, uh, a steady rate.

Ron: Yeah.

Laura: Yeah, I think so. It's got like a straight line up the bar chart.

Ron: Up the bar chart.

Laura: No line graph. What's it called? I don't know.

Malaria. Is caused by a protest

Ron: Moving on to question four.

Laura: Now, Laura, that felt like a weird little question.

Ron: Malaria.

Laura: Ooh.

Ron: Is caused by a protest. Interesting. Doing the outros for this one, Laura, because usually we're like, oh, uh, wow. What did you think of that here? It was. It was cool and stuff. But a. We haven't listened to it, so we don't know. We also don't know where exactly the cut is. And also we don't want to do spoilers or anything. And we haven't marked it yet. So we are in the dark as we've ever been.

You can't discipline a two year old. You can't. What am I supposed to do

Laura: Yeah, well, let's just talk about other stuff. The episodes happened. You heard it. Talk about it amongst yourselves. Don't bother us. We don't care.

Ron: Go on the discord. No. Chat about it publicly. We need listeners.

Laura: I bought charter the podcast.

Ron: Um, does she like a ukulele?

Laura: Yeah, she loves it, but you made a fucking error in. Just. All she wants to do is tune it.

Ron: She's fucking.

Laura: You should have tuned it in another room, because all she wants to do is sit there twisting those little white knobs.

Ron: I told her not to.

Laura: Yeah?

Ron: Have you told her not to? No. You don't discipline her.

Laura: I do discipline her.

Ron: You don't.

Laura: M. In what world do I not discipline her?

Ron: She runs fucking feral, like a tiny, shitty Hitler. Uh, round the house, shitting in the garden, pissing in her bed, getting out, punching you in the mouth. You do nothing. You enable it. What.

Laura: What am I supposed to do?

Ron: I don't know. Lay down the fucking law.

Laura: You do, and she goes, okay, and then does it again.

Ron: That's.

Laura: You can't discipline a two year old. There's no discipline.

Ron: Lock her up.

Laura: You can't.

Ron: You can just put her on the naughty step.

Laura: She doesn't stay there.

Ron: She would if I did it, probably.

Laura: Yeah, then she'd hate you, and I don't like it when people hate me.

Ron: Yeah, I came with being hated.

Laura: Okay, well, you come and stay and discipline her, then.

Ron: Uh, she's nice when she's around me. She's not an infested tyrant when she's not hanging out with you.

Laura: Listen, I like her.

Ron: Yeah, I like it, too.

Your child shat in a wedding this weekend, Ron

Laura: Um, I went to a wedding this weekend, Ron.

Ron: Yes, and your child shat in a marquee point.

Laura: Proof she did. Oh, God. It was like. It was. It was a really tough afternoon because I was at the in laws, so it was a family wedding, and I was at the in laws on Friday without Tom, and. And so it was. And it's already, like, in laws once removed. It's not Tom's immediate family. It's, like, cousins, you know? So you're already sort of. They're super lovely, and I know them really well, but you are, you know, you're a once removed. And then when your child pulls down their pants and poops in the middle of the wedding. Whoo. She's got to stop doing that, man. Yeah, I bought her own little toilet seat to kind of, like, be, hey, why don't you emulate something other than Mackie?

Ron: But those are fun. It's like pissing on hard mode.

Laura: Did she leave them down?

Ron: No, but that would have been funny. I was just making it silly.

Laura: Oh, well, they'll still be here when you're back next week.

Ron: I like to sit when I wee.

Laura: Listen, guys. Bye. You don't sit down to pee often. You sit down. We are.

Ron: Why not?

Laura: I don't know. There's something really, like, creepy about that.

Ron: I think you're being weird.

Laura: Maybe. I don't know. I just assumed men just stood.

Ron: Sometimes I do, but sometimes, like. I don't know. There's no benefit to standing. It's not quicker the piss comes out the same, but you get to have a nice sit, get to play on your phone better.

Laura: Do you think? It does come out the same?

Ron: Yep.

Laura: Um. Okay. Um.

Buy tickets for cheerful eiffel, guys. You have to. Come on. Join the Patreon. So three pounds a month

Buy tickets for cheerful eiffel, guys. I've just emailed the guy that runs it to us for a ticket update. We haven't asked for one so far. We might not have sold any, but I'm gonna find out this week.

Ron: Did we ever sign that agreement?

Laura: I don't know. You were supposed to do that.

Ron: Maybe I did.

Laura: We're definitely doing it because he keeps tweeting about it. So we're definitely doing it. And you guys need to buy your tickets. All right? It's the most fun day ever. It's in November 7, I think. Something like that. I don't know.

Ron: Yeah, come see us. There's other people on. They're really good as well. I'm gonna go see Pappy's, I think, afterwards. Um. Um.

Laura: So you could fight with Pappy's.

Ron: I like Pappy's. Yeah.

Laura: So October. It's not November, it's the 20. October.

Ron: Yeah, you could come to that. I won't sit with you, but you could be there as well.

Laura: Yeah, he will sit with you. He'll sit on your lap.

Ron: I won't, um.

Laura: He'll kiss you on the earlobes. If you buy ten tickets to see our show, Ron will kiss you on the earlobe.

Ron: Yeah, I actually will.

Laura: Yeah. Uh, anyway, so get tickets to that and we'll be able to. We'll be able to see who's coming. Well, we won't know who you are, but we'll know how many people and the number of people are coming really determines how much effort we're going to put into the song that we're writing for it.

Ron: Yeah. Have you written that yet?

Laura: No. You're writing it.

Ron: Oh, you said you were writing it.

Laura: No, you said you were writing it.

Ron: You said you were gonna write the.

Laura: Lyrics or the musical one you said.

Ron: You were gonna write. I don't know why we're doing this.

Laura: Song until I have a tune.

Ron: Yes, you can.

Laura: No, I can't. I don't know how many beats there are.

Ron: Four.

Laura: Hello, science. It's science time. You don't want me to write. I haven't got time to write this. I'm writing a tour show.

Ron: I don't want to write any of it. I don't know why. You've promised a song.

Laura: Don't do the podcast then. You have to. It's. It's a lure for people. My leg really itches. Um, um. We're doing a register.

Ron: No, I had to write some fucking creative writing exercises.

Laura: There's no register because Ron was too busy writing the Patreon content. So that's really, really good as a motivation for you to join the Patreon because that is where we put our effort in. So three pounds a month. Join the Patreon. Come on. Come on, lads. Come on. Um, should we leave them alone now, Ron?

Ron: Yeah, we'll see you next week. I'm not gonna say what I usually say because it's nothing. Because next week it's the continuation.

Laura: Pencils down. You could say that.

Ron: No, because it's not. That's. That would.

Laura: Middle of the exam, isn't it?

Ron: Yeah. Pencil's still very much up.

Laura: Um, um. You.

We'll end this episode on just silence from us

Do they ever give you a time you're halfway through?

Ron: No. They don't say anything.

Laura: Nothing?

Ron: No. So let's. Let's end. We'll end this episode on just silence from us.

Laura: Oh, you know I hate silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment